Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Nick, the Bike Guy? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the late 70's/early 80's, you could frequently see a lone bicycle rider on the streets of Detroit. He was an elderly gentleman with white hair and a long beard. Somehow I learned that his name was Nick and I think he lived in Harper Woods. But I don't know anything else about him. I assume he passed away by now.

He must have been an interesting guy. I couldn't find anything in the archives, so does anyone have any info or stories about him?

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember him. He used to ride around Belle Isle too. He got big play in 1984 when he dressed up as a Tiger while riding his bike. At times, I think he wore a top hat. I believe he is deceased.

Ookpik

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 964
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were two younger guys in th esixties and seventies around Denby, that rode their bikes all over...as we got older we heard their stories...one had developmental disabilities and the other had a TBI...the sad thing was how the kids in the nieghborhood were afraid of them....I wish I would have been old enough to understand their stories...now kids would have been much better..

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2444
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His name was Nick Feldman. I remember seeing him riding all over downtown Detroit, with his long white hair flowing!! He often wore red!!

Fordaspiregv
Username: Fordaspiregv

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of guys on bikes, there is a guy downtown that uses a whistle and does odd things with his arms. He always wears bike shorts and looks to be in good shape. Have you guys seen him? He is usually out in the morning.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple photos of Nick from the Tigers '84 World Series celebration....

NickF01

NickF02

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Social Security Death Index, Nicholas Feldman of Detroit, MI 48214 was born on 9 Aug 1912 and died on 01 Aug 1998.

Keith
Username: Keith

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Nick. I found out from him...probably back in the early 1980's... that he took up biking after he retired from one of the big 3 at approx the age of 60-65. He had a January or February birthday and would ride a mile for each year of his age on his birthday.

At the Belle Isle bike marathons,he could ride circles around most folks half his age while easily 200 plus miles in 24 hours.

He was an interesting guy but I don't know whatever happened to him.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 450
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The whistling bicyclist is always around Eastern Market on Saturday mornings, riding "no hands" between shelters, blowing that whistle over and over.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone told me he is a marching band director but that could be a rumor.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the no-hands whistler riding circles in front of Cobo, too. He gets around I guess.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry guys, he's deceased. I read to obit in the paper. I didn't know who he was until I read it, and it was some time ago.If it wasn't for the obit to ths day I STILL wouldnt have known about him...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Speaking of guys on bikes, there is a guy downtown that uses a whistle and does odd things with his arms. He always wears bike shorts and looks to be in good shape. Have you guys seen him? He is usually out in the morning."

Yes, I would see this guy often when at CCS. He appeared to be landing a plane while blowing a whistle and riding his bike. Always brought a little cheer to my day.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i see/hear the whistling/flapping bicyclist sunday mornings - i think he's usually going south on gratiot, headed downtown.

the photo above makes me wonder if nick is an alter-ego for sparky anderson? especially being seen during the 1984 world series celebration?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 352
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No hands guy has been spotted on Riverwalk

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.