Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Panhandlers » Archive through August 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sec106
Username: Sec106

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to have been a huge influx of panhandlers around Comerica. It is like running a gauntlet to get in and out of the games. Some of them are even hassling people. I'd swear they are bussing them in from Pontiac or somewhere.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have anybody else notice that this oasis of prosperity is surrounded by some of the poorest urban real estate in the country?

With that in mind, I'd wonder why there aren't MORE panhandlers in the area.

Also, it might have something to do with all the construction disrupting Greektown, where beggars usually ply their trade.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was officially against the law to panhandle now. There hasn't been any change in the amount of beggars.

On that note, it's officially illegal to talk on a phone while driving, yet I see even the COPS doing it.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, they are going to go where there are large groups of people. Right now, the only game in town is the Tigers.

While bums outside stadiums, concerts..etc is pretty normal for any large city, from my experience last night (and other experiences here and elsewhere), Detroit bums are the most aggressive. last night leaving that debacle of a Tigers game, this one bum followed me for at least a block... "i know you got change!, I hear it jangling!" ...."gimme some money!"

Didn't really bother me, but I can see that being a bit off putting.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the aggressive ones piss me off. You know they're just husslin' for drug or alcohol money.

I usually give something up to the peaceful folk though. ;)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off-putting is right. There are a lot of ways to spend leisure time, and I'll wager that aggressive pan-handling (not to mention to heavy use of alleys as latrines) has caused more than a few -suburbanites and Detroiters- to say: the hell with it, let's just go to the multiplex to see a show/eat on Northwestern instead of being pestered by unpleasant people. The bums are like those annoying ticks and squeaks that have chased buyers from Detroit brands and into Hondas.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pay up for creativity. In the late 90's, a man in DC/Georgetown approached me with an "I'm tryin' to get on the Internet"; I had to smile at that one. Here someone's always got the same story about a car or a bus, what imagination!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you, Oakmangirl. I need a story. A good one.

Because, if everybody really needed that bus fare for a trip to Pontiac, Detroit wouldn't have a homeless problem.

Pontiac would.

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, a influx of panhandlers? I can't believe it George Bush says the economy is just humming now, I think I can even hear it out my window. Seriously, I've been walking around the stadium for a couple years now when they're in town, pretty much the same old faces. Some are even famous like that "Eat em Tigers, Eat em up" guy.

Craig

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rog, you should check out the thread on non-Detroit topics and read about how mean-old George Bush made a college student get pregnant.

The reality for most of the bums is that they are unemployable due to mental illness and addiction-related issues. The only thing that they'll work hard at is being a pain in the ass to other pedestrians.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who needs social programs when you can simply write off a large segment of society. Thanks, Craig!

Craig

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DN - I think that you missed my point: a healthy economy offers opportunity for those able to exploit the "boom." The panhandlers have a hard time remembering that I've ignored them the last 1000 times that they've "worked" me, let alone muster what it takes to find and keep work. Jesus himself could become President and people like the little scruff on Jefferson by the Spirit of Detroit will still be on his corner, rain or shine.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I see. You weren't writing them off. You were just saying that they contribute nothing and will never find a job because they're useless.

We may now officially cancel all courses in sociology.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Craig, some do work to bring a little happiness to someone's day...used to have a guy outside my home play the theme to Sesame Street on his tuba and greet me cheerfully. I never sensed he expected to make enough to cover his health needs, but imagine what we call a "sane" person with health coverage spreading good cheer as she cuts me off in her Escalade.

I'm tired of the damn stereotyping of the homeless; every person is unique and deserves a little compassion (except Thejesus who called me an idiot; I'm still smarting).

Craig

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you guys want me to mention a few corners where you can find plenty of hoboes to work on...

...I'm sure that they're right there where I left them.

A street musician is far different from another with an open palm.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, he was no musician...let me tell you. Flat as hell, and he only knew one tune. He was a creative vagrant, hobo, tramp, whatever. You need to see "My Man Godfrey".

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever a bum asks me for something I always say "No thanks, I already have some" and walk away.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love William Powell. He was never better than in "My Man Godfrey."

Oakmangirl: Where you been all my life?

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your money would be better spent on charities that help street people. To give them money directly enables them to buy drugs or booze and encourages them to stay in the area and bother more people. Many larger cities are advising residents to ignore them.

http://www.cleveland.com/polit ics/plaindealer/index.ssf?/bas e/opinion/1187427913238390.xml &coll=2

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you here are truly unbelievable. Maybe they should also pull themselves up by their bootstraps too, yea the economies great Craig, now tell me who's deranged? Do some of you think it's a fun thing to do, panhandling that is. Some of these folk are truly just hard up, and no more crazy than that lawyer that ran over the pedestrians today. Don't give if you don't want to, but for God sake see if you can find it within your heart to approach being a human being, and no I don't feel bad for your rich suburban azz that you have to be bothered, poor things just politely say I don't have anything.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to give homeless people food...a sandwich, a banana, an apple, that kind of thing. sometimes if I knew I was going to an area with lots of homeless people, I'd bring a bunch of good food, that way if they're truly hungry they would benefit. just an idea...

hey, Oakmangirl for Mayor!!!!

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret, I was simply hoping to be Detroitnerd's sidekick!

I've shared food before, and it's been welcome. Mostly, I find that sometimes people just want to tell you their story or merely be acknowledged as human. I used to work around a lot of homeless people who sought shelter in a public building; many were there trying to improve their lives or themselves, and yes, a few were plain obnoxious. Can't we say the same for just about anyone?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4013
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now there's a good idea! And if they are not hungry they can sell the apple or sandwich to buy some booze!
No seriously, I do the apple thing too.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 469
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one guy that I keep seeing all the time. He is a short white guy with a reddish-brown beard. I see him at Eastern Market, on Jefferson, River Walk. One day I saw him at Eastern Market in the morning and River Walk that same night. I thought, well at least he is ambitious. That's a hell of a long work day! I've seen him on Jefferson as I make the Michigan left to go to the tunnel, hustling a couple of older ladies. I was tempted to yell out the window not to give him anything. He's every where. It's kind of creepy because now when he sees me he looks the other way. Pretty sure he's capable of a regular job.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Butterfly nets.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been panhandled to much, but then again I don't go to Tigers or Lions games. One time I was w/ my cousin and I took him to the Tubby's @ Washington and Lafayette. I went to get something from my car, and when I came back I saw that a homeless guy with a large plastic trash bag had come in the restaurant and was aggressively panhandling my cousin, who ended up giving him several dollars in quarters. That seemed to me like crossing a line, panhandling to someone while they're eating inside a restaurant. Downtown Pontiac, which I'm at quite a bit, has a lot of panhandlers in a relatively small geographic area. They seem to be centered around the library now at Pike and Wide Track. The last time someone hit me up there, he laid this line on me: "I'm just a tramp, not a killer." How comforting.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know who that beard guy is. Some lady downtown gave him some food one time and he threw it on the ground when she walked away. One time he hit me up for money and I offered him my bottle of water, and he declined(so much for offering them something besides money for booze or booze). He rides the bus, too. So he must make money somehow. Sometimes I have a hard time scraping together bus fare.
I'm not too romanticized by the bum mystique. It isn't gang bangers who are breaking into cars in Midtown and the CBD for pop bottles and loose change. I've seen it happen.
I know all homeless aren't bad people. But a very visible amount of them in Detroit are aggressive and booze and drug hungry.
I empathize more with the thousands of Detroiters(and Metro-Detroiters)who are struggling to make an honest living working(usually several jobs), waiting for buses that never come, at the mercy of this shit economy. Meanwhile being harassed for change and having the siding stolen off of their homes by hop heads.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 656
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pontiac rescue mission is in that area of the Library I believe.. They are a homeless shelter..

The funniest I story I ever had was.. I always used to walk my co-workers (women) to there cars.. No matter who they were.. If it was dark I would walk them to there car.. I was walking one of the secretary's back to her car at Millendar (I was working at Comerica Tower at the time) and this bum said the funniest thing ever.. Well I maybe black but where all white on the inside.. Mind you my-coworker was black (not that matters.. bc it's doesn't) but she gave me the same look like.. WTF.. I find it funny at the time.. But I know there were ALOT and still are alot of panhandlers on that side of woodward next to Comerica.. I have no idea why they only sit on that side..

When I lead tours of Downtown.. I make sure I walk them on the other side of the street. Ironic enough I never have problems in Hart Plaza or Mariners church they are usually very friendly.. Never any problems there.. no idea why.. But anyways..

The funnier bums are the ones that aren't really bums.. the ones trying to sell tickets to a tigers game.. when the guard is watching and will seize that ticket as soon as you cross the ticket and not let you in.. they can sit in that corner parking lot becuase Illich does not own it.. Most likely that is where they were bugging you.. btw.. Public property..

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe it ...two people who also like "My Man Godfrey"? Great flick ...

I think I know who the short white guy bum with the beard is. He's very aggressive...walks up like he's going to go nose to nose with you. Doesn't let you ignore him.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, I think highly of Bill Powell, but Carole Lombard was no slouch and prettier too.

Hey, classic film fans...Sullivan's Travels is another great movie centered on experiencing different social castes.