Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Window into typical City v Suburb divide » Archive through August 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 423
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living in Livonia, I try and "say nice things about Detroit" wherever possible, because I know that many of my neighbors harbor a lot of animosity towards the City. Here is a topic on the message board for the Livonia Observer newspaper, regarding the possible loss of Quicken to Detroit.
http://forums.hometownlife.com /viewtopic.php?t=9874&postdays =0&postorder=asc&start=0
This is pretty standard fare for the never-ending argument, is it not? This is going to sound naive, but "what do you do"? Keep arguing, write letters to the editor? What do you think of the comments posted here?

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the outcry when wal-mart decided to open. "it might bring people from detroit ohh nooooo"

hey, some of those people sound like the DY wingnuts!

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb, great example - there is a case where the voice of the nuts overshadowed some legitimate concerns from neighboring citizens. There were many reasons to oppose elements of the Wonderland plan, but bringing "those people" closer to the neighborhood shouldn't have been one of them. I live within walking distance, and we went up there last weekend. You can't push a stroller from Target to Wal-Mart. Had to cross an intersection diagonally, and jump a curb. This is a "pedestrian village"? Glad I don't use a wheelchair...

Inre: Quicken - I see an opportunity to bring attention to the realities of the end of Sprawl, and to highlight the fact that the suburbs need Detroit to do well. And some people see an opportunity to be racist and play politics.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still laughing at the person that hired the driver to take her to court because it is in one of the worst areas of Detroit, to Frank Murphy Hall... lol...

Then his ignorant ass admits that he hasn't been to downtown in 25-30 years.... that's a great way to base an opinion on something. :-)

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 303
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let the comments go, and be ready to changing the minds of those who are open to the idea. I have learned fighting with people on this subject is useless, they won't change their mind unless they have a transformative life event.

All I see in those posts is outright fear that has been generationally instilled. So breathe, make your point, and then don't fight. You'll just get worked up and make no progress.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of my favorite quotes
“Why would you take the unneeded risk or expose your "suburban" friends to this risk of traveling to the city of Detroit for a few hot-spots.
I tire of people painting Detroit any other flavor then what it truly is.
I absolutely despise the fact that if I want to take my kids to a game or event, attend the theater, or simply go there to eat, I am putting my families health and safety at risk, at least more so than if I went to Novi or Northville!”

“I haven't been to Detroit in 25-30 years. MY choice. I move to this area and poof ...I get called for for jury duty in one of the worst areas in Detroit, Wayne county. I truly resent that. It forces me to go to an area that I would never and don't go to. I have to hire a driver to take me there and pick me up. I would never go there by myself or put other family members in harm's way just to go for jury duty.”

And then there are glimmers of hope...
“I can only hope that the nasty anti-Detroit attitude displayed by people like you doesn't reflect badly on the rest of us that live in the suburbs. The last thing we need in the Metro area is more divisiveness.”

I find this to be really funny. The first guy is talking about Detroit like if he comes here is going to get poisoned. And if that comment isn't laced with racist undertones I don't know what is. Then the second lady almost made me pee myself when I read it. She is like the child that doesn't like a type of food, but has never eaten it. And finally a glimmer of hope. This last lady makes me feel much better, and shows their are signs of hope for the region.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1927
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there's much you can do with some of these people...I always try to put in a good word for Detroit to people out where I live, but they look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about how fun the city is to hang out in and how cool it is working downtown...and I don't think their reaction is a much the product of hatred of the city as it is an unwarranted fear fueled by things they've heard about the city...most never go downtown and have no idea what it's all about

there's a bit of a generational gap between suburbanites with this mindset and the ones willing to take a fresh look at Detroit, with the older generation being the closed-minded ones...

That generation is just going to have to die off before you see a real shift in attitudes toward Detroit among suburbanites...

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of what area you live in, there are always going to be people who hate the urban core. The same can be said for any area; Detroit is no exception. Nor, should Detroiters feel they have been singled out. There are folks who moved to the suburbs who love their lives and hate the city. That is just another unhappy fact of life. And... I should also mention that those feelings about the urban core are not race- specific.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is no exception? I think the point is that Detroit is more like the RULE.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^That's true but I think what's unique about metro Detroit is the level of isolation between the city and the suburbs...

Many metro-Detroiters live their lives completely in the suburbs and simply never go downtown...all they know of Detroit are things they've heard, which are usually more negative than positive...I was one of these people until a couple years ago...without actually experiencing downtown, people simply won't change their opinions...

Jjw

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Dearbornnerd, sorry to disappoint you but once again I disagree. The Detroit area may have a larger number of suburbanites who will not venture into the city. But, there are plenty of folks in suburban Boston who will not go into town for whatever reason. There are also plenty of suburban Baltimorons who will not venture into the city.
Why? I don't know. Nor to be honest with you do I care to know. To say that suburban Detroiters lead the nation in anti-urban feelings is absurd. Go spend a weekend in Phoenix or Houston or any other city.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 302
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The probability of being a victim of a crime is much higher in the inner city. Thats not an outlandish claim. The stats speak for themselves. Just because you haven't been, don't mean you won't be. Navigating and knowing where and when to go is key to the chance. But, don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

Lately, even in the suburbs, there is an uneasiness on the streets at night. The economy is not good and there are is an increasing number of people in desperate situations. I think everyone should be a bit more careful than normal. No matter where they are. The stories of break-ins to businesses has sure increased here locally. Haven't looked at any stats on it, but it seems to be more prevalent.

Recently, I've encountered panhandlers in areas they were never seen before. Livonia was one. Yes even in ultra-policed Livonia.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed that you will never change the minds of people like "Concerned Parent" (I'm more concerned about his/her children). The best you can do is state your case and hope that some reader who is on the fence might be impacted by your argument.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjw: Detroit, according to such groups as the U.S. census bureau, is among the most racially segregated areas in the U.S. That means that there is a great deal of animosity here. And people express it through where they live, how they choose to travel, where they send their kids to school. Your assertion that it is no worse than other places is ... well, it's absurd.

It's like when we were talking about pedestrian fatalities. You said there were pedestrian fatalities everywhere. That's true, but, like, so what? There are more pedestrian fatalities in Detroit, according to published research, than in any other large U.S. city. What is your response to that? Simply that pedestrian fatalities happen everywhere. Deduct 10 points from your reading comprehension score, because that wasn't the issue.

Same thing with this. Again, your attitude is that this is part of American life. Well, it might well be. But, you know what? This is city-vs.-suburb central.

Anyway, go on. Believe whatever you want. Just don't expect not to get called on it. ;)

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wimps

Mikie
Username: Mikie

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that "concerned parent" needs a Xanax (or an enema).

Jjw

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearbornnerd: These attitudes are not indigenous to Detroit. They are part of the American psyche. If you want to believe that animosity to city-living solely exist in the Detroit area, then believe it. But you must also accept that you may be called on it from folks who have lived in many other places.
Although I may actually agree with you (hitting my head as I speak) that Detroit has an abnormal amount of bashers, I hope you understand that these feelings exist all over the country. Suggestion: Go to Buffalo for a weekend. Make sure you stay downtown and do plenty of walking.

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Waz - that's kinda what I hope for. Someone out there somewhere might see what I write and change something for the better. It won't be ConcernedParent, I agree!

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deduct another ten point Jjw, because we weren't debating whether those attitudes were "indigenous" to Detroit. (I think you mean "unique.")

You don't seem like a bad guy, Jjw. You just seem functionally illiterate, that's all. :-)

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting angry with ignorant suburbanites doesn't help the city out. Stating that the city is taking back what was once "its" business doesn't help the city out with suburbanites. Try to prove to them why it's beneficial for the company and the suburbs.

It's not that hard to open an undecided persons mind. It's not worth the effort to try to open up someone's mind if it's already closed.

Jjw

Post Number: 427
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearbornnerd: "This is city-vs.-suburb central."

I meant exactly what I said:
1. Originating and living or occurring naturally in an area or environment. See Synonyms at native.
2. Intrinsic; innate.
By the way, there was no debate. I was just correcting you. Now, go up to Fairlane and have a beer and cool off. Once again, have a nice day.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. You ARE illiterate! :-)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a bunch of aliens. Green Martians.

Better hurry up and go inside, the sun is not directly in the sky...meaning your shadow might formulate and kill you.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just glad a couple of people on that forum argued with those ignorant bigots. I think it's productive to do so, because using rational, cogent points will hopefully show others how nuts the inane, knee-jerk Detroit-haters really are.

It probably won't change anything, but it's worth a try. At the least, it doesn't let people have a pass in stating such irrational and asinine remarks.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is Dearbornnerd? I don't see anyone by that name. Jjw do you possibly mean Detroitnerd?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4026
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's sad how fast the world shrinks when people stay at home too much.

Jjw

Post Number: 428
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor thing is delusional. He is actually a Michigan Avenue baby who played in traffic way to long in Mayor Hubbard's shadow.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 634
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh my gosh. I have never seen people which come across as so uneducated(as my dad would say) like those people on that forum. I can not believe people think they are endangered driving on a freeway going through Detroit.

These people really need to get a life to be honest. The reason our cities are in the shape they are in, is because of people like that.

(Message edited by miketoronto on August 24, 2007)

(Message edited by miketoronto on August 24, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5178
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that one thing we need to keep in mind about older suburbanites, and why that have a greater animosity towards Detroit than younger suburbanites is because many felt betrayed when they were sort of forced out by "blockbusting", and low home prices. In many instances folks left the city because their fear of African-Americans, but others left because of increased crime, and safety issues.

These folks didn't get much money for their houses, and left bitter. And much of that bitterness remains among many older suburbanites.

Luckily it's the young that are our (collective) future...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6391
Posted on Friday, August 24, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what a see in the metro Detroit area:

Detroit remains mostly black and ghettotized and the suburbs remains mostly white and pretty.