Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Photo's taken from atop abandon buildings « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what I don't get all of these people are taking photo's on top or in abandon buildings example the David Whitney Building people on Flickr have taking shots of the downtown.

can anyone just walk up there or what???

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might have to put a little effort into getting to the top of some of them. The Globe Trading Company is the only one that I have ever been on the roof of. In the case of this building it isn't as though there is a staircase straight to the roof.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5184
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the Globe Building where a trespasser fell off and died?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

usually just take the stairs..

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeps... Stairs.. Unless you own a jet pack...

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You cant just walk into any of these buildings and get to the roof. The people that get into these places most of the time know exactly what they are doing and understand the risk involved. I wouldnt recommend trying to do anything on your own.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 360
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the idiot that got her tires slashed a few months back at the Packard proved you can drive in and get to the roof (but not without incident)

Could you just walk in and get up to the roof in any other Detroit buildings? Yes, a year ago.

(Message edited by wolverine on August 26, 2007)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 529
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just waltzing into these buildings is both stupid and dangerous. that said, if done right it can be a source of terrific photo opportunities. if you are really interested and keep your ear to the ground when in the right places, you'll meet people who can help you, however i don't think lowell likes talk about the "how to" of this type of activity on this forum.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the Globe, it helps to have a flashlight even in the middle of the day because you have to take the staircase in the very middle of the building. If you aren't familiar with it, it can be hard to do in the blackness. After that it is just a few more little 'stair cases,' maybe some ledge crawling and climbing out windows, but I forget for sure.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.