Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Brennan Pools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to the pools at Rouge Park? I think they were called Brennan Pools and they were on Plymouth Rd. near the east side of the park. There were three pools including one for diving with a 1-meter and 3-meter boards and a 10 meter platform.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 434
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still open and in use.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger:

Are you old enough to remember if there was a missile base or tracking station in Rouge Park?

How about the Mounted Police barns on Joy Rd?

Ramcharger

Post Number: 435
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there was a Nike missile base on the southwest corner of Joy Road and Trinity Street. It was removed when Lessenger middle school was built, around 1962. The Mounted Police barns are still there, but they've been boarded up for two or three years now.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on August 26, 2007)

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 300
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Brennan pools many times as a kid. Also skated & played hockey when they had a huge skating rink there.The archery range used to get a lot of use years ago too

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 341
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the Brennan Pools during the Watergate hearings.
It was amazing how some guys would come in there with bolt cutters to open lockers and rip off people.
What surprised me more was when a kid took a dump in the shower. Needless to say, the neighborhood was changing at the time.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5537
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba worked in the locker room of Brennan Pools, 1961-63. He was in college at Western Michigan and came home towork there. Later, he worked locker room at Kemeney Pool on W. Fort St.

Great memories of JCC kids coming to swim with day camps. The counsellors would get on the microphone, "Pincus Zuckerman, Moshe' Fiegelstein, and Rachael Yosippowitz, please meet you mothers at the main gate after swim." "All other JCC campers have five minutes to get on the buses. Yussel Goldblum is asked not to run and slip again."

jjaba.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We took our kids there a few weeks ago. Still a very nice place to go. I love the old building.

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sisters and I used to go there as kids, too. Probably about the same time jjaba was there, until about '66 or '67-ish.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9744
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, that was too funny.

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent most days of my Summers from 56-59 at the pools. I lived in Redford Township near Finkle and Beach Daily, and would catch a ride to the pools with a neighbor, and ride home with my Dad, who worked at a factory on Burt Rd, just down from the pools. Lots of great times there. I remember well the first time I went off the platform. The pool looked the size of a postage stamp from up there at 14 years old :-)

I live in Tennessee now, but have lots of family that live in the area still. I plan on spending a week or 2 next Summer in the area.

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sister still lives across the street from Rouge Park at Burt Rd and Orangelawn. Been there for many years. It was my Aunts home and when she died my sister got the home, paid for. Isnt that a nice thing to have happen in a persons life.

393bird

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember a few girls I met back then at the pools that lived just off of Burt. One was Jennie Kish, another was Carmen Turner, and Sheila Smart. I exchanged emails with Sheila last year. She lives in Ca now. Great times and memories. We moved to Tennessee when I was 16, and I went into the Army at 17, so lost track of all of them. Spent 22 years in the Army, and now enjoy messing with cars. I enjoy fast cars now, as much as I ever did.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome facility!

I life guarded at Brennan Pools; 1974-76.
The doggone Olympic Trials were held there (1948 & 1960).

Good to hear that the place is still up & running; I had heard that, in 2006, thieves made of with quite a lot of the copper pipes....but they were busted by the Detroit Police.

PS Could the water at Brennan have been any colder?

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 51
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother used to hang out there a lot in the late 60's. I went a couple of times with our neighbors. Always crowded and the water was always C-O-L-D. Afterwards, we'd stop in at Daly Hamburgers on Plymouth. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

As for the Rouge Park Nike site:
http://nikehercules.tripod.com /d-69.html

(P.S. RIP Slumpy)

Chuckjav

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes!

Daly's was The Best.

Do you remember the little Greek (owned) restaurant on Plymouth - just before Rouge Park...if you were coming from the east?

It was right next to the neat little miniature golf establishment.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav -
I remember passing by it, but I don't think we ever went there. Our dining options were usually confined to The Clock, Scotty's, Sutherland's, Stromboli's, Daly's, Albano's and a little Chinese restaurant on Plymouth in Livonia, across from that fine Scottish restaurant, McDonald's.

I think our Brownie troop went on a field trip to that miniature golf.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gg.....oh, for the days of independent restaurants; good food at a good price, and comfortable pleather booths.

Another glass of ice-water please.

393bird

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl: Was that the Sutherland's on 5 Mile, or Finkle? If so, I lived about 3 blocks from it on Ivanhoe, near Rosevelt School and Western Golf Course. Went to Redford Union HS.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where in the hell is "Finkle" or "Beach Daly"?

Any b0z0 that ever lived in or claims to be from Metro Detroit (Redford) knows it is FENKELL and BEECH DALY.

(Message edited by quozl on September 17, 2007)

393bird

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe not if you moved from there when you were 16, over 45 years ago.

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

393bird -

It was on Seven Mile, east of Middlebelt. Kitty-corner from Livonia Mall. Great fish!

They had this wonderful map of Scottish surnames on the wall. Always tried to figure out where our family name came from. Then Dad pointed out that we were Polish and that ended that . . .

Ramcharger

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link Gingellgirl, there’s some interesting info on that site. I think the caption under the picture of the Administration area may be wrong. According to Anthony Sudney's description, “The Admin. Area with the Orderly Room, Supply Room, Mess Hall, and Barracks was located off Spinoza Dr. not too far north of Joy Rd.”. Therefore, the road to the east in the picture is Spinoza Dr. and not Outer Dr.

By the way, do you remember “Rosa’s Drive-in”? It was just east of the IFC on the southeast corner of Joy Rd. and Trinity St. I think it burned down around 1961. Also, did you ever hang out at the “Daly’s” on W. Warren near Outer Dr. or the “Little Skipper’s” a few blocks away? There was a lot of cruising that took place between those two joints.

(Message edited by Ramcharger on September 17, 2007)

Gingellgirl

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, Rosa's predates me by a few months. When I came of legal driving age, my cruising was already confined to the northern suburbs. But in Detroit, I went everywhere on my Schwinn!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.