Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Photo LVI - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Middlewest Radios on the left. Not quite legible street signs on the right. Dodge pickup at the curb.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here

Ookpik

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1685
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a street sign (which anyone with eyes can see!) can't really make out the streets (ergo its presence here). The fancy brick and stone gates across the street are reminiscent of Boston-Edison, or Rosedale, although the street is too narrow to be either Woodward or Grand River.

The young lady is lovely, though.

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the street sign has arrows pointing left and right, and two street names. That could narrow it down.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a link to a larger photo (that works)?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere in the Woodrow Wilson-Boston-Edison area? My grandparents lived in that area and there are pix of it looking like that in the 40s.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 609
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trees lining the background street are elms, for younger forumers who missed pre-Dutch Elm Disease Detroit. American elms are even distinctive in the winter time because of their vase shape. The arched branching pattern and the practise of one species planting gave the streets of Detroit and other cities their cathedral appearance.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say Boston Edison somewhere, but that's as far as I get. Not Rosedale, definitely.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5532
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like Boston Blvd., or Chicago Blvd. at the end of the fantzy houses at Woodrow Wilson or 12th St. The photo is facing East for sure. This is a shot in the 1940s when this was some of the richest valued real estate in the USA. The apartments were rented by families, single, or retired couples and had nice retail below. The women photographed are nice looking and well placed.

jjaba, Westsider.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The street in the rear might resemble Linwood--maybe, just south a bit of Boston-Edison. Otherwise, perhaps, 12th--the two principal N/S business arterials there. I believe that 15th also had businesses.

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on August 27, 2007)

56packman

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dodge truck in the photo is labeled with advertising for Harry Shorter, who was a dodge dealer located at 8300 Woodward, just north of the boulevard. Looks like that was their parts chasing truck.
I think the B-E area is becoming more likely!
Buy a dodge today!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4847
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the walls outside the "subdivision" across the street. Looks similar to BE and I know I have seen them before but cannot put my finger on it.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The beautiful elms were the first things I noticed! For many years Detroit was nationally well known for its magnificent trees.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't be facing east, the shadows indicate it was taken facing westerly or possibly southerly. It is a springtime photo and it appears from the sun angle that it is near noon time.

Here is an enlargement of the street sign and the bottom name sure looks like "Virginia Park" to my eyes.

street sign

From the slogan on the truck's liftgate, it appears that the full name of its business owner is "Harry Shorter".

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The women's dresses are shorter, so I think 1942-1946, in accordance with wartime fabric rationing. Is that car a 1941 or so, ummmm, Chrysler?

56packman

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The car is a 1941 Plymouth

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a jog on Virginia Park, maybe crossing 15th Street?

Mikeg

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The photo is taken looking west on Melbourne St., with Woodward at the corner. The Shorter dealership is the building on the right. Virginia Park is across Woodward and to the left.

Melbourne at Woodward, with Virginia Park visible at upper left corner

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3457
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Middlewest Radio & Appliances
8298 Woodward

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mikeg is right on the money. look at the south view of the same location and the radio store building is a match.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think to check the south view, but you're right, that building's upper bay window overlooking Melbourne St. is still there. Notice also that the brick "fence" on the west side of Woodward is still there.

Melbourne and Woodward, looking southwest

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 360
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys never cease to amaze. I love these threads.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this forum.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome. Mike G you're amazing.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1949 Aerial photo

To add to the already excellent work done here, a 1949 aerial photo of this neighborhood along Woodward.

Brewcitypunk
Username: Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep posting photos Ookpik, the follow up information is always amazing.

Brew

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 328
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone! :-)

One thing I have found with these "Old Photo" threads is the identification of one photo aids in the identification of other photos. The identification of the above photo was no exception.

A gentleman, who may be our intrepid photographer, stands by the "brick fence" on Woodward.

Looking down Melbourne. Harry Shorter's Dodge/Plymouth dealership is on the left. I may have posted this photo before - I don't remember.

A modern view of the area.

Ookpik

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The license plate on the pickup is either a '42 or '43 (which was a '42 with a tab in the upper right corner, but that part of the plate is blocked. It also could be a '46, which had the white letters on black background, but a gut hunch has it in the earlier forties.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5535
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sure does look like a big Dodge auto agency in the current photo. Notice how devoid of people, buildings, and greenery today. That center-bay skylight is pure Detroit, pure Albert Kahn, eh.

Woodward Ave. sure looks different with the old Elms.

Please forgive jjaba for the misdirection and he was off by a street or two from Va. Park, an obvious choice. As for Melbourne St., jjaba don't know the Eastside. Props to some excellent scholarship here.

jjaba, low tech. Westsider on the Dexter bus.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.