Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » I think that this guy was the meanest Detroiter I ever met « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cobo ‘iconic personality’ dies at 89

Cobo Center lost an iconic figure when Leon “Sarge” Littleton, died Aug. 19 at 89.

Littleton was dockmaster at Cobo, ramrodding trucks that delivered displays to the many shows there for nearly four decades.

Even after losing a leg to medical complications several years ago, Littleton continued to direct traffic for complicated events like the North American International Auto Show, using a golf cart to get around.

Tom Tuskey, Cobo Center director, called Littleton “an iconic personality at Cobo,” and said “there was no one more dedicated to the notion that ‘the show must go on.’

“In Leon’s words, ‘the show must go in, and it’s gotta be done right, and my way is probably the best way to do it,’ ” Tuskey said. Littleton had worked at Cobo since 1968.

Littleton, of Clawson, was an independent contractor who worked for Cobo convention contractors. A U.S. Army veteran of both World War II and the Korean conflict, he had run the mail room for the National Association of Investment Clubs for more than 30 years. He died of congestive heart failure. He was buried in Great Lakes National Cemetery, Holly.

Bob Whiting, manager of sales and convention show services at Cobo, said Littleton was “a sergeant until the end, as he had been in the Army. We knew him as ornery, but lovable.”

http://crainsdetroit.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070827 /SUB/70826007/0/SUB&Profile=0

Anyone else ever have to put up with this guy's insane directioning at the docks behind Cobo Hall?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1048
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

come on, are you kidding? the guy passes away and this is the how you title the thread? mean or not, the guy just passed away.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He would have taken the title as a compliment.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to deliver to Cobo Hall.Leon would be on his golf cart yelling at the truck drivers. I dreaded going down there. He was sure mean!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Littleton, of Clawson

He was the meanest Clawsoner you ever met.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 790
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a mean Clawsonofabitch.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh snap, Ed!

Smooth one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.