Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Alonzo Bates Anniversary « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This week marks the one year anniversary of former Council member Alonzo Bates' conviction. He hasn't been sentenced. I don't understand why there is such a long delay to sentence him. Any thoughts out there as to why?
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/mie/ press/2006/2006-08-31_abates2. pdf

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea! Rot in jail thief.

Waltbaby01
Username: Waltbaby01

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think his lawyer argued that there were pieces of evidence that the prosecutors left out of the case, that could have changed the outcome. Therefore, they were pursuing in getting him a new trial. Didn't work, so now they're finally going to sentence him soon.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4061
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let's wish for many happy golden years in jail for the racist parasite!

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a POS!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 887
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Mr. Bates is currently seeking to have his conviction set aside due to alleged ineffective assistance of counsel. His trial counsel was Steven Fishman, one of the most highly regarded criminal defense attorneys in Michigan. He earlier sought to have the conviction set aside because the prosecution allegedly withheld exculpatory evidence. That effort was rejected by the trial judge. He won't be sentenced until the ineffective assistance of counsel issue is resolved by the judge. Probably will happen soon.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sentencing takes place Sept. 20. He faces up to 41 months.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070829/NEW S01/708290341/1003

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never understand why people convicted in federal courts have such a long time between conviction & sentence to be out on the streets. I thinks they should be taken into custody as soon as they are convicted. Anytime they're incarcerated counts a part of the sentence.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He keeps trying to get a miss trial ruling. claimed there was some evidence issue. got shot down. now he's claiming his lawyer wasn't good enough. The dude is about as weasley as it gets. No surprise he got voted on to city council.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 899
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, at least he had a trial. Anybody remember R Kelly's charges from 5 YEARS AGO??!!

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has Alonzo Bates ever held a real honest-to-goodness JOB in his life? I remember when I went to Wayne State in the late 60's and early 70's seeing posters saying "Alonzo (Lonnie) Bates for WSU Board of Governors". Seems like he's always been just another hog feeding at the public trough.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4083
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He allegedly "worked" at C of D parks and rec...
But didn't one of the TV stations catch him at home doing chores on city time??

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2178
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey, at least he had a trial. Anybody remember R Kelly's charges from 5 YEARS AGO??!!"

Bah, celebrities. Lindsey Lohan can speed down a road drunk with cocaine in her car, and she gets a scolding. Stupid society and its stupid celebrity worship.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan to make a cake in honor of his anniversary
and put a hacksaw in it. NOT. I hope the crook rots in jail.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6423
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Birthday Lonnie the Crook!

Dannyv

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lonnie Bates worked in the City of Detroit's Parks and Rec as a career. He was busted by TV2 Problem Solvers Bill Gallagher, catching him cutting his grass and washing his car at home while on the job. You may recall him on camera calling Bill Gallagher "Sonny Boy". He was reprimanded by the City for this tho' I'm not certain as to the details of the reprimand. He sued the City successfully, claiming harassment, then retired.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he’s also in some legal trouble in Texas for giving preferential treatment to contractors with the Dallas Independent School District.

I’m not entirely sure which problem Lonnie will have to do deal with legally first, but I’d bet my life that the Texas authorities reprimand or convict him first before the Michigan authorities do…

I still can’t believe there’s a school in Detroit named after this derelict.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 416
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm pretty sure he called him more than "Sonny Boy".

It sounded more like "White Boy" to me.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he�s also in some legal trouble in Texas for giving preferential treatment to contractors with the Dallas Independent School District.

I thought that was William Coleman (former superintendent of DPS)?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Al is going to spend 33 months in jail.

He'll get out just in time to run for Mayor.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070920/NEW S01/70920039

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5951
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now he's trying to shift blame onto Fox2's Scott Lewis as well.

Pathetic.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070921/METRO 01/709210351

this man has lost it...does he have it all?

Dannyv

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe he's posturing himself to a segment of his constituency who believes they will always be a persecuted minority.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guess what ya'll - he has to pay the City the money back...good, now maybe i will get my tax refund

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.