Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Recycle Here! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_recycling_people
Username: The_recycling_people

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recycle Here! will be CLOSED this Saturday, September 1st for the labor Day Holiday.

Recycle Here! Mobile will NOT be at Farwell Recreation Center this Saturday due to the Holiday weekend.

Recycle Here! will resume normal Wednesday and Saturday operation next week.

Recycle Here! Mobile will be at Corktown Recycles / Roosevelt Park next Saturday.

Have a safe, relaxing, and wonderful holiday weekend.

The Recycling People

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes the recycling people think they can take the weekend off?

Kidding. Kind of.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad i saw this before i loaded up the car on saturday.

have a good weekend off!

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for understanding. We have been plugging away each and every saturday since January. The guys, girls, and me need to recharge a little.

We will be back to take care of ALL of your recycling needs next week.

the recycling people

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i was stunned when i saw they were taking non 1 & 2 types of plastic when i brought in my stuff the other day. i was remorseful for how many yogurt and cottage cheese containers had gone to the landfill... why aren't types 5/6 accepted at most recycling facilities anyways?

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 68
Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo,

The_Recycling_People, can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that plastics other than 1 (PETE) & 2 (HDPE) are made from different plastic polymers or blends of those polymers. Apparently, they are more difficult to recycle than PETE and HDPE, so most places won't accept them.

Also, I once read somewhere that some food containers, like margarine tubs and yogurt containers, are more difficult to clean or don't get cleaned, so recyclers don't take them because the food residue may contaminate the recycling process.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, August 31, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just want to keep this high up on the board -
Recycle Here! will be CLOSED this Saturday, September 1st for the labor Day Holiday.

Recycle Here! Mobile will NOT be at Farwell Recreation Center this Saturday due to the Holiday weekend.

Recycle Here! will resume normal Wednesday and Saturday operation next week.

Recycle Here! Mobile will be at Corktown Recycles / Roosevelt Park next Saturday.

Have a safe, relaxing, and wonderful holiday weekend.

The Recycling People

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So where do you recycle? I need to start.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 582
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://recycledetroit.com/

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, it is:

www.recyclehere.net

This Saturday - The Main Recy-clean Center @ 1331 Holden Street ( 9am-3pm )

and

The Corktown/ Southwest Mobile Facility @
The Central Train Depot ( Michigan / 14th)
From 10am til 2pm

TRP

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why the change in the site? Just curious. The same organization right? I thought you were now taking more plastics than that am I wrong?

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will you be on the eastside this coming Saturday?

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have two rather large (~20") computer monitors chock full of lead and i'd rather not toss them out, but i need to get rid of them. where can i do such? i've been running into walls trying to find places online that take stuff like this.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Answers and News:

Answers first -
Urbanoutdoors - Not a name 'change', but a name correction. The group that we put together to handle this immense undertaking is called 'Recycle Here!', hence the change in name to Recylehere.net

Yelloweyes - Sorry for the delay in response. The mobile facilities are date fixed each month. First saturday = farwell, second saturday = corktown/ southwest, third saturday = rosedale recycles / northwest, and fourth saturday = creekside/ southeast.

Cabasse - bring the electronics and old tv's to the main holden site. We only accept small electronics at the mobile facilities, but the holden facility handles all the large electronic recycling.

News -

The main Holden facility will be open Wednesday from 10am til 2pm.

On Saturday the Holden facility will be open from 9am til 3pm and the Mobile facility will be @ Rosedale Recycles from 10am til 3pm.

the recycling people

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear The_recycling_people,

I will inquire on the possibility of having a large recycling container placed in the area of 2nd and Forest or vicinity of such. I feel that by placing recycling facilities closer to sources of possible recyclable goods would encourage citizens otherwise keen on traditional disposal to recycle. I personally find it cumbersome to transport the weekly collection of my own recyclables and plus my 2 roommates recyclables by non-motorized transport or bus to the Holden street facility(but still dedicated to support the recycling program nevertheless). I feel that Wayne state or a local merchant could be encouraged to donate a parking space to house such container and a neighborhood fundraiser would purchase such container provided a commitment on your part to empty the bin on a schedule based upon capacity fillings(I think I have seen a truck capable of such activity at your premises).

Thank you,

Russix

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 216
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to use the Corktown recycling roll-off when I lived downtown, now I get curbside pickup in Ferndale.

Question for recycling gurus: Why won't the city — or any given recycling service — accept green glass? I've seen this before.

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Answers:

Russix: We would be happy to participate in such a program. The only aspect that you did not address was that there would be a pickup 'fee' associated with the actual emptying or picking up of proposed container.

treelock: We accept green and blue glass at the main holden facility and the mobile facilities as well, so bring it down to us from ferndale. we would be happy to recycle it for you. The actual reason that most recycling programs don't deal with colored glass is that there is no redeemable value for green or blue glass. The reason that most curbside recycling programs only accept the 'basics' ( paper, cardboard, metal cans, plastic 1 and 2, and clear and brown glass) is the fact that all these recyclable commodities are worth varying amounts of $$. Our Recycle Here! program uses the money saved from having to go to peoples homes, the sale of the $$ streams, and the grant from the City of Detroit to allow the recycling of 'dead' streams (no value) such as styrofoam, colored glass, plastic 4-7 and aseptic. Our unique 'small batch' collection method allows us to closely monitor each commodity so no further sorting is needed. this allows us to get maximum return for the 'live' streams to offset the minimal cost of accepting the 'dead' streams.

the recycling people

The_recycling_people

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recycle Here! This Saturday:

Main Recy-clean Center
1331 Holden Street
Hours 9 am - 3 pm

Recycle Here! Mobile / Rosdedale Recycles
Christ the King Church / Grand River and Pierson
Hours 10 am - 2 pm

The recycling people

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.