Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Catholic High Schools » Archive through August 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the high schools in Detroit, all-boy, all-girl, co-ed. The rivalries between schools and the Goodfellow Football games. Name your school.

Pharmer_b
Username: Pharmer_b

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Bishop Gallagher in 1976. The student body comprised a mix of Detroiters, Grosse Pointers, and Macomb County residents. I wasn't really a sports guy, but I remember there was a rivalry with De La Salle over an airplane propeller or something like that. Does anyone remember the details?

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Gabriel's HS, Vernor Hwy. last graduating Class of 1970 as the school was closed after we graduated. It's now a Ceasar Chavez Quick Start Center I believe.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starts and ends with UD Jesuit.

Greatness exemplified in that they are the only ones still in the city - much less thriving.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 452
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Titancub..

I agree.

(Don't even get me started about Catholic Central, DeLaSalle and others)

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

harper wood notre dame (1954-2005), class of 1966, an all-male school.

we played denby in the 1963 goodfellow game, a 14-7 loss (the kennedy was assassinated). in the 1965 game we tied denby, 14-14.

our biggest rivalry was the school by city airport.

the archdiocese has sold the property to a baptist church that is planning to open a charter school in the building

(Message edited by goirish1966 on August 25, 2007)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bishop Gallagher '75.

Sports rivalries that I recall were with Servite, Royal Oak Shrine, and Dearborn Divine Child. I have great memories of some raucous home basketball games where the gym was filled from top to bottom and spilling out the sides!! Some great football games as well like beating Divine Child on their home field in 1973 (I think that's the right year).

Stinger4me

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Bishop Gallagher started up in the early 60's. Who can remember some of the names of the teams from the all-boy high schools?

Kathleen

Post Number: 2448
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bishop Gallagher was originally Queen of Peace High School, I believe, for a year or two. IIRC, the first graduating class was 1963 or '64.

I remember the Austin Friars and De La Salle Pilots.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Ambrose Cavaliers.Dominated football.
Soup Bowl and Goodfellow champs year
after year.

Lahinch
Username: Lahinch

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pharmer_b,
The annual football game between DLS and Gallagher was called the Christian Brothers Classic (both schools were run by the Christian Brothers) and the winner was awarded a propeller.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Ambrose class of '69. I recall our chief football rivals being Divine Child and Holy Redeemer. We played our home games at Keyworth Stadium in Hamtramck. Anyone know if Keyworth is still in existence?

Stinger4me

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The football game between St. Joe's and De La Salle was the Oil Can Game.

Anybody remember a couple of football players from St. Ambrose; John Gagnier and Tom Beer?

Tammypio
Username: Tammypio

Post Number: 148
Posted on Saturday, August 25, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keyworth is still there. I spent many days with the Hamtramck High School marching band on that field.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benedictine HS and St Mary of Redford HS here (and 3 weeks at Divine Child HS).

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UDJ '04

During my tenure at U of D High, the Cubs played home games at Keyworth as well. That stadium is magical!

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 167
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boshna

What's up at your old school? All of the adminstration has been flushed out?

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saint Mary of Redford Rustics

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rowe was relieved of duty as principal at UDJ after the 2006-07 school year, from what I have heard. Former Spanish teacher Gary Marando is now the principal of the high school.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did U-D add "Jesuit" to their name? I always remember it as U-D HIgh.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure but I think it could have been about the time that University of Detroit, became University of Detroit Mercy. So maybe 1990.

Goirish1966

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kathleen: regarding the all-male catholic high schools

in addition to the school by the airport (now moved to warren) and austin, there was harper woods notre dame, detroit salesian and detroit cathedral.there still is bloomfield brother rice, detroit u of d jesuit, and catholic central (now in novi, formerly of redford township and 2 location in detroit(west outer drive and john r & belmont).

Goirish1966

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and interesting side note for u of d fans.

in the 1930s, 1940s, and part of the 1950s, the school was a member of the detroit public school league, not the detroit catholic league.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Goirish1966: I certainly remember almost all of those all-boys schools. I was answering the question about the team names when I mentioned Austin and De La Salle.

Taj920

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U-d was in the PSL and CC was an independent I think. Austin, ND and Rice weren't open yet.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 168
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Courtesy of the great site, posted a while back by Taj: Michigan-football.com

De La Salle Pilots
U of D Jesuit Cubs
Salesian Knights
Brother Rice Warrior
Detroit Cathedral Wildcats
Catholic Central Shamrocks
Notre Dame Fighting Irish
St. Ambrose Cavaliers
Benedictine Ravens
Royal Oak Shrine Knights
Divine Child Falcons
Servite Panthers
Redford St. Mary Rustics
Holy Redeemer Lions
Bishop Gallagher Lancers
St. Catherine Warriors
Centerline St. Clement Crusaders
St. David Aviators
St. Thomas Blue Streaks
St. Paul Lakers
Roseville Sacred Heart Thorns
Hamtramck Saint Ladislaus Greyhounds
Hamtramck Saint Florian Lancers
Detroit Visitation Eagles
Wyandotte Saint Patrick Irish
Dearborn Sacred Heart Shamrocks
River Rouge Our Lady of Lourdes Bears
Allen Park Cabrini Monarchs
Wyandotte Mount Carmel Comets
Detroit Saint Anthony Teutons
Dearborn Saint Alphonsus Arrows
Detroit Saint Philip Red Raiders
Mount Clemens Saint Louis Muskrats
Detroit Saint Martin Cadets
Detroit Nativity Vikings
Mount Clemens Saint Mary Mountaineers
Saint Clair Shores Saint Gertrude Clippers
Utica Saint Lawrence Mustangs
Detroit Saint Bernard Ramblers
Detroit Saint Rose Golden Bears
Ferndale Saint James Dales
Orchard Lake Saint Mary's Eaglets
Farmington Our Lady Of Sorrows Lancers
Royal Oak Saint Mary Fighting Irish
Detroit Saint Rita Vikings
Detroit Saint Francis de Sales Monarchs
Highland Park Saint Benedict Ravens
Ecorse Saint Francis Xavier Buccaneers
Wayne Saint Mary Blue Knights
Detroit Saint Hedwig Knights
Redford St. Agatha Aggies
Ypsilanti Saint John Crusaders
Immaculate Conception Bengals
Detroit Saint Cecilia Fighting Irish
Detroit Annunciation Cougars
Detroit Saint Andrew Flyers
Detroit Saint Theresa Pirates
Detroit Saint Gregory Cherokees
Detroit Saint Charles Dragons
Detroit Saint Stanislaus Broncos

Taj920

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Max:
It's too bad that only about nine or 10 are still open.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right. This list is just from 1965!

Goirish1966

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you back to the 1940s and early 1950s, there were around 70 catholic high schools in the tri-county area.

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Farmington Hills Mercy, or as the old guard would refer to it: Our Lady of Mercy College Preparatory High School for Young Women :-)

C/O '99 - Go Marlins!
Maroon & Gold 4 life :-)