Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Warren » Archive through August 13, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 522
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the threads about HW and SCS seems like a good way to learn about a particular community how about Warren Stories, experiences. Be nice to Warren we all know the stereotypes about the city but it is also the 3rd largest city in the state, home to the Tech Center, TACOM, major factories, and a sea of well built homes. What does the future of Warren hold with the ever spreading movement of residents outward???

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard that Warren City Council members who serve two consecutive terms get health care for life. Lol...think that might explain the pre-primary field of 45 candidates ?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9785
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Politically speaking, Warren is as messed up as Detroit. What I always chuckle about is the seeming divide of the population on opposite sides of 696. It is like Eastside-Westside Detroit attitudes towards each other.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren south of the freeway is in decline. Van Dyke south of Centerline looks terrible. I think Warren is a poor long-term bet and will undergo significant racial change.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of my parents grew up near the Warren/East Detroit boarder. When my dad was a kid there in the 40's, he lived around 9 Mile and Scheoner (I know I butchered the spelling) and they were dirt roads with dairy farms in the area (I think he said 9 Mile might have been paved sometime around then). He graduated from East Detroit High School in January of 1956 (they actually had a full class of January graduates... was this common back then?) and his graduating class had something like 50 people in it (the 50-some people figure included the January and June graduates though).

When my mom graduated from East Detroit High School in 1963, there were 300+ students in her class. Talk about a post-war baby boom!

For what its worth, I don't think that any of Warren's city council members live south of I-696.

(Message edited by Dannaroo on August 10, 2007)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4787
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I basically grew up in Warren and in Sterling Heights and went to Warren Con. Schools. The northern part is still pretty nice with lots of older retired folks. Many bought their homes when they were built in the 60's. Everyone knows everyone else or so it seems. I know that sounds odd but it is true. Most people know each other through baseball or soccer. Youth sports are HUGE in Warren anyhow.

The demographics are starting to shift rapidly as far as I am concerned. I went to Cousino HS and when it was pretty much 99.9% white. That % has changed significantly in the past 10 years or so. The city is still mostly white but I there will be racial tensions in the future.

There is clearly a divide between north and south Warren. The mayor seems to be pro-south warren because that is where he is from. He tried to clean it up and fix up parks and add playgrounds, but the council turned him down. Yeah, the Southern end is as ducked up as parts of Detroit.

The city itself is starting to look quite dated, but I am surprised that there hasn’t been more white flight from the city in recent years to be honest. Seems to me that there is a # of holdouts that just don’t want to leave.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any love for Warren although if I had to live there I would like to live in the historic area around the Kuhnhenn Brewing Company.

Jt1

Post Number: 9792
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One issue that Warren faces (and Detroit to some extent but not as much) is dealing with Prop A.

I was told that the average time someone stays in a home is 7 years and Warren is 20+ years. No turnover in home ownership is good for neighborhood continuity but a major hassle in increasing tax revenue under Prop A.

No turnover, no big jumps in assesed value. Warren is just one more city that has to deal with costs and issues that the new cities do not.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps they can't leave because they can't sell their house.

Patrick

Post Number: 4788
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one can sell their house in Michigan lol.

Jt1

Post Number: 9794
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that may be the case but it probably hasn't been consistently over the last 20-25 years.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That'll put a halt to White flight for sure.

Jt1

Post Number: 9795
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certanly didn't in Detroit.

Patrick

Post Number: 4789
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing I like about Warren is its geographic location. It isnt all that far from anything really. You are close to expressways and so-so shopping. You have a central location when you think about it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 153

The "old town" area around Mound and Chicago has a few remaining old business/government structures and some nice old homes. It seems to have changed very little over the last 40 years or so.

Much of the rest of the housing north of I-696 is cookie cutter 50's ranches; it's bland-out for block after block in several neighborhoods.

My Mom's neighborhood in the north end has been remarkably stable. She still has three of the same neighbors since we moved there in 1968!

Things are starting to change, though. Chaldeans are starting to move in and some of the businesses in the area are starting to reflect that. I'm not saying that in a bad way. Almost all neighborhoods face some nature of succession.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2374
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I basically grew up in Warren and in Sterling Heights and went to Warren Con. Schools.

Patrick -- Sounds like Melby to me...

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing I always noticed most about Warren (and may be true with other burbs also, but I just recognized it in Warren knowing family members that have, or do, live there), is that when people moved out of places like northern VanDyke corridor (and other areas bordering Warren) in Detroit through the 70s, they basically moved as a whole neighborhood to Warren... almost picking up the detroit neighborhood, and moving north a few miles to a certain section in Warren, businesses and all... funeral homes, grocery and drug stores, parishes, etc.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't have any love for Warren although if I had to live there I would like to live in the historic area around the Kuhnhenn Brewing Company.

i totally agree, westbound from there on chicago rd. has some nice homes too. I work in warren at tech center, and totally agreee with whoever said the city looks dated. i was definitely suprised to learn that it is larger than flint, lansing, and other decently sized stand-alone cities around the state

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3681
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Warren still the third largest MI city in population--Dearborn being fourth?

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt Dearborn is 4th... Lansing is bigger.... and Flint should still be bigger also... actually, I think Sterling Heights is bigger than Dearborn.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 752
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Warren in the mid 60s, across the street from then mayor Ted Bates. Went to Lincoln Junior High with Mark Steenburgh. He was the good looking jock that all of the girls hung around. I was not. Does my heart good to know that he is now fatter and uglier than me. There is a God!

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As of 2000, the largest cities in Michigan are:
Note: The largest townships are listed in parenthesis.

1. Detroit - 951,270
2. Grand Rapids - 197,800
3. Warren - 138,247
4. Flint - 124,943
5. Sterling Heights - 124,471
6. Lansing - 119,128
7. Ann Arbor - 114,024
8. Livonia - 100,545
9. Dearborn - 97,775
(Clinton TWP - 95,648)
10. Westland - 86,602
11. Farmington Hills - 82,111
12. Troy - 80,959
13. Southfield - 78,296
14. Kalamazoo - 77,145
(Canton TWP - 76,366)
(Waterford TWP - 73,150)
15. Wyoming - 69,368
16. Rochester Hills - 68,825
17. Pontiac - 66,337
18. Taylor - 65,868
(Shelby TWP - 65,159)
(West Bloomfield TWP - 64,862)
19. St. Clair Shores - 63,096
20. Saginaw - 61,799
21. Royal Oak - 60,062
22. Dearborn Heights - 58,264
23. Battle Creek - 58,264
(Redford TWP - 51,622)
24. Roseville - 48,129
25. Novi - 47,386

Since 2000, Sterling Heights has passed Flint to become the 4th largest city and is (supposedly) closing the gap with Warren for the #3 position.

Currently, Sterling Heights has an estimated 128,000 residents while Warren has an estimated 135,000 residents.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I currently live in Warren, for the second time. In the early 70's I lived in the SW corner...near 8 & Dequindre. Wouldn't live there today. But it was a nicer place then, but we had an attempted break in back then.

I live in an apartment now which is on the north end. The complex is racially mixed but very well kept and my neighbors seem to be nice.

There are lots of homes for sale around here, probably due to retirements and layoffs from automotive jobs because that's all that lived in this area through the 70's and 80's.

But the comment about the politics is correct. I even think it might be worse than Detroit. I'm not sure of the reason, because I haven't gotten involved. I don't plan to live here much longer..maybe a year or two.

I have lived in cities surrounding Warren for the last 35 years. It hasn't changed much in that time, as far as I'm concerned.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 70
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grew up in South Warren at 9/Van Dyke.

Did you know?
It's the capital viewing demographic of mid-day judge shows and the daily lottery numbers.

Some lifelong South Warrenites even talk with an unexplainable southern twang. I don't know where they get it; it's thick in the air there.

SoWar-4-Life!

(Message edited by 1805 on August 13, 2007)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6335
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren is just a one of the Metro-Detroit's biggest white suburb with lots of industry. The city is divided by the I-696 FWY. South Warren which is called a low-income white man's ghetto and North Warren which is middle income community. Warren in the past has a racial tensions including the racial slur controversy between Mayor Mark Steenberg and a black teenager. Warren has a couple of quick growing black enclaves with a population of almost 10,000 and it has other ethnic diverse communities and 5 different school districts.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is South Warren in decline?
I just don't get what people want to leave nice stable areas like Warren.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6340
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miketoronto,

Look at our rusty economy, Warren is part of the Michigan's Automation Alley when the plants closes, more unreal estate signs and forclosures pop up like mushrooms.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren residents led the nation in the 2000 census for the longest time period living in the same house -- many families have been in the same house since the 1950s and 1960s.
That could also explain the large number of homes for sale -- people are dying off or have to move to assisted living, etc.

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 734
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the Kuhnhenn Brewing Company

I know Eric Kuhnhenn from my sailing days. Very cool guy and his Brewing company rocks. Only place in Warren to be recommended.

Patrick

Post Number: 4802
Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a random observation….take a look at the top 5 most populated cities in Michigan. Three of them (SH, War, DET) border each other and equal roughly 210 square miles of land with about 1,217,000 people. Never thought of that before. I always look at each city individually rather than grouped together. Maybe that’s they way my mentality was formed because of all the segregation in the area.

As far as microbreweries go, there are two renowned places. The first is Dragonmead on the 696 service drive (11 Mile) which makes some good brews, if you can get past all the dungeons and dragons décor. Kuhnenn is one of my favorite places, since it isn’t a noisy bullshit bar with flat screens everywhere like Roger’s Roost. I would say that if you wanted to open a bar warren is a good bet…mostly along Van Dyke. Two of the most crowded bars in the area just happen to be in Warren, on van Dyke and about a mile apart.