Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Underground Tunnel from Troy to Birmingham « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.hometownlife.com/ap ps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070 902/NEWS22/709020478/1039/NEWs 22

Is this Oakland County's version of the People Mover??

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1338
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that their primary concern seems to be how to get cars in and out. Way to go, Michigan!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6469
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!!

We're going to have a subway system in the suburbs.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So by regional, do they mean between Troy and Birmingham, or is this intended to be connected to other parts of the metro Detroit region?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to rain on your parade but what exactly do you think is proposed? They're talking about building a tunnel under the existing tracks so someone can get from one side of the track to the other without having to cross the tracks. How did this become a discussion about a subway? I think the tracks are the border between Troy and Birmingham so it's not like this is even going to be that long a tunnel. Here's the area under discussion:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=troy+michig an&ie=UTF8&ll=42.546552,-83.19 7424&spn=0.004624,0.008626&t=h &z=17&om=1

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tunnel that runs under the train tracks and connects Troy to Birmingham will likely be in the initial design plans for the regional transit center.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are just improving what was already there and moving it to the Troy side of the Tracks.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 706
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tunnel" is too strong of a word. "Underpass" is more precise IMHO. So somehow an underpass which is "likely" to be in some "design plans" became a subway. Faskinatin', as Popeye would say.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe they are talking about a pedestrian tunnel. This would make a lot of sense as the area on either side of the tracks has enjoyed considerable development over the last few years. There is actually some decent population density in that area now.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1339
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pedestrian tunnels come from a time when any underground conduit, for foot or train, was termed a subway. Give it a rest, fellas. ;)

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand, the approval of this tunnel is one of the big sticking points that is holding up any sort of development of a new train station/transit hub at this location. The cities and Amtrak need to get approval from whoever opperates that particular stretch of rail (either CSX or Grand Trunk I imagine) before they decide how big of a transit center they want.

The tunnel would allow easier access for cars AND pedestrains to possible parking on the Troy side of the tracks which is a lot less dense of an area than the Birmingham side. The extra access is designed to help ease possible congestion caused by passengers being picked-up/dropped-off for trains, waiting taxis, and hopefully SMART buses.

And from the discussions I have had with people involved in the process (officials from both Birmingham and Troy), this will indeed be nothing more than an underpass and using the word "tunnel" really is a bit of hyperbole in this context.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone remember Fun magazine, the free rag from the early 90s? they did a (fictitious) story about the Detroit salt mines being used as an underground freeway from downtown to north Oakland county. Only freemasons had access.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A tunnel that runs under the train tracks and connects Troy to Birmingham will likely be in the initial design plans for the regional transit center."

yea right

Dannaroo

Post Number: 153
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman,

That reminds me of The Simpsons when Homer joins the Stonecutters and is able to drive to work through a secret tunnel which is lined with priceless works of art, has classical music playing inside, as well as red carpet for the flooring... yet when he arrives at the parking lot, he is still miles from work.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1344
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who holds back the electric car?

Who makes Steve Gutenberg ... a star?

We do!

We do!

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1555
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^http://youtube.com/watch?v=n-c CfZrkCFI

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its really ironic that the transit center is being moved from B'ham to Troy.

While admittedly a mere suburb, B'ham is rapidly urbanizing and embraces city living. The area around the train station, known as the Rail District, is being developed with dense live/work lofts. B'ham, or at least a substantial minority of its residents, are amenable to transit.

Troy is the exact opposite; in fact I am amazed that the city of Troy would even consider the transit station.

The problem with the underpass is cost, and I am afraid they will build the transit center in Troy and cut off the Birmingham rail district, which would be a shame.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 734
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Ray, Troy has a very nice plan to redo the Big Beaver corridor to be a more urban and pedestrian-friendly place, and improved transit figures into that plan. I've seen it.

Realistically, if we ever bring back commuter rail, that station will be where it is, Eton Street in Birmingham, which is not really walkably close to downtown Birmingham nor the Troy Big Beaver corridor, so some kind of improved transit will be necessary to connect both. Troy-Birmingham has the potential to be a very nice, densely built, pedestrian-friendly, transit-enhanced corridor.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Troy is the exact opposite; in fact I am amazed that the city of Troy would even consider the transit station."

Setting aside the Profs comments (although he makes good points), this area of Troy is right across the tracks from the area you're describing. So even if it was a farm field, it's not like it can't service that part of B'ham. Plus, I believe that the article mentioned that the site for the new center is being donated. Also, the Troy site is larger which means that it can actually accomodate a transit center serving more than just rail passengers. I don't think any site in B'ham provided that opportunity.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live in the Midtown Square condos and am glad to see that this is finally being considered. I know that the 2010 deadline is forcing it but whatever. We made our choice to live there thinking that we would be there long enough to see it built but had to leave for work reasons.

The Troy side of the tracks has a great deal of land and parking set aside JUST for the transit center behind Target, Dunhams etc. I know that this could be VERY good for the area. Although a workable quick connection to Somerset or d'town Birmingham would make it all the better. I always imagined walking to the station and grabbing the train to get to a Tiger game and back.

Dannaroo

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Plus, I believe that the article mentioned that the site for the new center is being donated.

When the shopping center in Troy at Coolidge and Maple was approved (I think its named Midtown Square, like those condos), I believe the deal was that the developers had to buy the land next to the rail where the future transit center would be and then "donate" it to the City of Troy when the City is ready to develop it.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transit center? Detroit and environs have no transit. Real cities have rail commuter service like that Detroit lost years ago on the old Grand Trunk line. Real cities have subways and light rail systems.

Detroit is now down to the low 800,000's in population and the time for real transit was twenty years ago; a sad but true fact. Dream on, transit lovers.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem, just put a tax lien on all the houses in Troy and Birmingham for the total construction costs and they have my 100% blessing

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.