Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Sports Bar in the D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright. I'm throwing a bachelor party for my buddy and we are coming to Detroit for it (my buddy and all his friends are from Grand Rapids so they will be completely lost). We are coming early during the day to belly up to the bar to watch the MSU-BG game. If I can avoid it, I would like to go someplace corporate like Buffalo Wild Wings. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sports bar in Detroit or on the I-96 corridor to catch the game? There are a few requirements.

1. Preferably not on the East side. No offense to you Eastsiders, but when some of the guys are driving from Grand Rapids that morning, I don't want them to have to go all the way to the east side if they don't have to.

2. MUST have Direct TV. The game is on the Big Ten Network this week so Comcrap and most other cable providers won't be broadcasting it.

3. Prefer it to be a "Spartan Friendly" location. I would prefer not to be an "Island of Green" surrounded by a "Sea of Blue" at the bar.

I'm ready for all your suggestions. TIA

Thatgirl
Username: Thatgirl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If I can avoid it, I would like to go someplace corporate like Buffalo Wild Wings."

Is that an oxy moron or something?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oops...

I meant that if I can avoid it I would like to NOT go someplace corporate like Buffalo Wild Wings.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1059
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.chicksbar.net/
18550 W Warren Ave

60 cent drafts during msu games.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how about coaches corner, in harmonie park? it is *technically* on the eastside, but not in the way you are thinking (although i am sure jabba would beg to differ). i've never been in there when a big game of any kind has been on, so i am not sure what the atmosphere is like. detroit beer company also shows games on a couple big screens. and, uhhh...that might be about it for downtown, but i am not a well seasoned sports watcher, so i really have no clue!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicks seems cool...except for the fact that EVERYONE is decked out in wolverine gear. THanks!

(Message edited by el jimbo on September 05, 2007)

El_jimbo

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to ask about coaches corner. I've never been myself so I don't know.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, i do know that they have a TON of tv screens there...so i am thinking that might be the place to go!

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

during msu games you'll find plenty of sparties at chicks. even so, if there are 60 cent beers involved I could probably stomach a room full of woolvorines.

coaches corner is good, plenty of plasmas, big projection screen. They will have the game on for sure. plus you'll be within walking distance of over 20 bars if you're interested in moving around.

not to thread jack, but what bars downtown have shuffle board?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9969
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would recommend Detroit Beer Company.

Valkyrias

Post Number: 488
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've heard that question before...the tabletop kind, right? from what i have heard, northern lights is the only bar in the city that has it.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again for the input everyone.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a bunch of guys coming from GR, getting downtown and back could be tricky.

A alternative to consider:

http://www.coppercanyonbrewery .com/

Copper Canyon, is in Southfield at the southern edge of the old Tel-Twelve Mall. 696 and Telegraph. Copper Canyon is a great microbrewery that sells some pretty good food.

I don't know about their cable service, so you will have to call and judging from comments on the DetroitYes sports forum, there aren't any Wolverine fans left so I don't think you'll be hassled.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we are going to be downtown that night and won't be leaving until Sunday morning. Getting back to Grand Rapids won't be a concern until Sunday...after 4 cups of coffee, a huge plate of eggs and fried potatoes, 4 maximum strength Tylenol, and Alka-Seltzer.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should look into Cheli's Chili, either in Detroit or Dearborn. It has just as many tvs as Coaches and better food. I wouldn't say coaches as a ton of tvs. (4 plasmas on each side of the bar, but not a ton in the restaurant area.) Another place to look into is Harrys. It is far from corporate and as a good atmosphere. Then you can make your way to Park Ave after the game to hit up Towne Pump, Centaur, Cliff Bells or the Park Bar.

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to Coach's Corner for big games before, and it wasn't really the best place. When it gets crowded, it became a real hassle to get service and see a TV (more than other places). That was a couple years ago though, so it may have changed.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can vouch for Chick's in Warrendale. Although many Wolverine diehards, they are still friendly to the Spartan backers.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nemo's?

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 694
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you may find

http://www.karrasbros.com/home .htm as a warm home away from home. If I remember correctly, the owner is an MSU alum; and the bar also boasts being smoke free. Should be what you're looking for.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Publicmsu,

Unfortunately, according to their website they don't open on saturdays until 6pm.

Jt1

Post Number: 9990
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Karras Brothers under new ownership and under a different name.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and yes

Gnome

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo-
What hotel are you guys staying in? That info might influence some of the suggestions.

It would not make much sense to drive from GR, check-in, drive to bar, drive back to hotel, drive the bachelor party locale, drive back to hotel. ... Seems too complicated for more than two cars - too much parking and way too much drinking/driving.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll be driving in well before check in time. The game starts at noon and I don't think you can check into the Marriott until around 4. We will be driving from the bar (brilliant. Now I have to be a DD) to the Ren-Cen. After that, everything we plan on doing is going to be within walking distance.

Jt1

Post Number: 10005
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo - Call the Marriott. I don't recall a hotel ever not allowing me to check in early.

There is almost no way that they won't allow you to check in before 12. Additionally you can still park at the Ren Cen (or somewhere cheaper) and walk to the bars mentioned in downtown.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot depends on if there is a bar downtown that will have what we are looking for. So far, the only two bars that I am considering are Cheli's and Chick's. I'm leaning towards Chick's. If anyone has been to both of them I'd love to hear how they stack up against each other..

Gnome

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Head to the Ren Cen and drop off the cars, if they don't allow you check-in early (which I doubt) you can still leave your cars there.

Jump on the People Mover, get off at the "Financial District" and walk to the Post Bar. Give those pale boys from GR a look at a real City bar.

Heck, the People Mover is the perfect answer to moving your group around downtown. Don't do any of that silly driving while drinking, the risk ain't worth it.

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are staying at the RenCen you can walk to Coach's Corner or anyplace else downtown. I don't think the food is so good at Coach's Corner.

If you want something easy for the guys to find driving to, try Doc's in Livonia. The food is good, much better and more selection than Coach's Corner and I understand there are plasma screens over the urinals.

(Message edited by sbradke on September 06, 2007)

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, nobody's mentioned Harry's, which is downtown, very convenient to I-75, has good free parking, and takes a bit more care with the food than your average sports bar. The homepage doesn't say one way or the other about DirecTV, but give 'em a call--it's a pleasant little spot that people tend to forget about.

http://www.harrysdetroit.com/

2482 Clifford at I-75 service drive on the north side of the roadway

El_jimbo

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

I wouldn't be driving from downtown. We would be driving from Chick's in Warrendale TO the Ren-Cen after the game. From that point on our transportation options are either the people mover or our feet.

Gnome

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it sounds like you have your plan in place. Good luck and show those boys a good time.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so. Like I said. I've never been to this Chick's place so we'll see how that goes. Hey, if it isn't what we expected, we can always go someplace else.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chick's is a sweet place and i would highly recommend it.

Harry's is another good alternative, especially if you are staying downtown anyways.

There's also that new place on Monroe in Greektown. I haven't been there yet, but there are tons of TVs.

As far as shuffleboard, Joy Park bar on the westside has shuffleboard, or at least they did up til a few years ago. i haven't been there in awhile.

Also, the Stop Spot in Ferndale has shuffleboard. It's on 9 mile 3-4 blocks east of woodward.

Marianewtothed
Username: Marianewtothed

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lucky's in Novi near the Fountain Walk; right off I-96.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense marianewtothed,

I had my fill of Novi when I grew up in South Lyon. I tried to avoid that place like the plague if at all possible.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1622
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"not to thread jack, but what bars downtown have shuffle board?"

There is a GREAT 'hole in the wall' bar called Express near the ol' Tiger Stadium at 1949 Michigan Ave that has table shuffle board. About half the people in there are over fifty and the other half are of hispanic decent...

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Anchor. It's a dive bar, but it's my dive bar, ya know?

Gnome

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo-

It is Sunday morning, so I'm sure you're not awake yet, but make sure to remember to give us a full report on your adventure.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I love the Anchor. It's a dive bar, but it's my dive bar, ya know?"

The Anchor is considered a dive ? I guess if the Anchor is considered a "dive" I wonder what you would have thought about the old skid row bars downtown. I think Leo would have been proud if you thought the Anchor was a dive but I think other places have been more deserving of that label. Let's see.....Cloud 9 around Brush and Larned was a dive, 400 bar was certainly no picnic. Places like the Crow Bar and Torpedo Bar on Michigan in the old skid row were dives, the Roxy Bar on Woodward had more than its fair share of trouble that required the DPD vice squad on a regular basis. The original Lindell A.C. was decent even though it was located in a flop house so I guess the dive label may not apply. I heard mixed things on the Boston Bar such as it was just rough at night but its proximity to the New Jackson Hotel and a couple of pawn shops lent itself to being a dive. I didn't even mention all the places on Cass-Second-Third near the Masonic Temple. Still consider the Anchor a dive in comparison to the skid row joints ?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome,

It was a good time, but I'm still not recovered. My general rule for a Saturday night is that it was a good night if it takes all day Sunday for my liver to recover and all day Monday for the rest of me to recover. I'm happy to report that my liver is fine. The rest of me...well...I'll get back to you on that tomorrow.

First and foremost, thank you, Detroit. We certainly put our best foot forward for those Grand Rapids kids. When we crossed into the city, there was a bit of trepidation in the faces of my fellow party goers. They've heard the stories but rarely experienced the city for themselves. However, from the very moment we got into the city to the moment we left, it was an impression changing experience.

Next item on the agenda is to thank whoever recommended Chicks. What a fun place that was. Warrendale is a part of town I'm not very familiar with so I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting myself into when I went there. Chicks was the perfect bar for the group of guys who went. It's a small little hole in the way place but when you step inside it has kind of a homey feel to it. We were instantly comfortable. They were cool working with us as we tried to figure out which Big Ten Network channel was broadcasting the game.

Also, the 60 cent drafts during MSU and UofM games is no longer a rumor. It is fact. The special also includes $3 pitchers. The food was standard bar fare but they even managed to not over cook the fried food (unlike some of my BWWs experiences).

The wait staff (all one of her was great). If you stop in and see a tall blonde named Heather running the bar, you will be taken care of. She had a full rail on the bar yet was always johny on the spot to take one of our never ending drink orders AND she was also the cook. She hustles and she's a good sport (she can do a shot like a champ too).

I also had the pleasure of meeting the owner. Good guy and he also knows how to take care of his customers. He bought us a round of shots that we greatly appreciated. Can't say enough for how they made a few of us "outsiders" feel welcome.

Anyway, plenty of TVs, affordable food and drinks, great service and a Spartan win equaled a great start to the day. The final total for Chicks

5 or 7 pitchers (I can't honestly remember)
2 rounds of shots for 7 (Jack the first time Cuervo the second time)
6 coneys
2 baskets of mini tacos
1 basket of wings
1 basket of chili fries
total $72 and change

Can't go wrong with that. I'll continue my tale in another post.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To continue.

In all honesty, the rest of the evening doesn't deviate from most bachelor party stories all that much.

1. We checked into the Ren-Cen, had a few more drinks

2. Hopped on the PM to Pizza Popalis.

3. Hiked over to the State to catch the Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals concert. Good show. I wish they would have played more older stuff that I knew and less of the new album which I haven't really heard much of yet.

4. Next stop was Bozouki's for everything that goes on there.

5. Then we moved on to the Old Shillelagh and closed things down there with a few more beverages and some dancing upstairs with some pretty girls from canada.

6. Finally, it was a bite to eat at the Parthenon and then a slow, exhausted, drunk trudge back to the Ren-Cen.

All said and done, it was a great time. By the way, if you happened to see a group of guys where one of us had a Devil Horn veil and a white T shirt with Sharpie writing all over it, that was us.

Gnome

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very proud that you showed those boys a good time. It sounds like you might have changed a few opinions about our fair city.

Good job.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did. I had several of them come up to me and say that they never thought they'd have this much fun in Detroit.

It also helped that Detroit was in rare form. Everything lit up like a Christmas tree, the Tigers won so there was a jubilant crowd around. The Greektown street performers sounded good. The weather was drizzly at times but mostly pleasant. Even the pan handlers didn't seem to be out in the same numbers or aggression that I had seen in the past.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.