Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Historic Fort Wayne Coalition Workday, Sept 15... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone,

Just a note to let people know the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition will be holding a workday on September 15 from 9a - 5pm, or however much time you can contribute.

RECOMMENDED DRESS: Long shirt and pants, boots and work gloves. Clothes you don't mind getting dirty.

Thanks to the generosity and dedication of members from the DY forum, we have surpassed the number of volunteer workhours for 1 paid FULL TIME employee at the fort! So far the total number of volunteer hour is exceeding 2300 just in 2007 alone!

Some of the goals we will be trying to tackle this workday will be:
- Complete tree removal across from QM shop and on Officer's Row.
- Bring down the tree by the Post Theatre so power can be restored.
- Remove the fallen tree by the Stables to ensure the integrity of the Jefferson Ave. Fence.
(The log splitter is working so this will speed this along)
- Picket fencing painting along Officer's Row
- Continued re-glazing QM Shop window, Bldg 112 basement windows and garage window.
- Install bulkhead doors on outside staircases of Officer's Row (4 left to complete)

There are some other projects if we have the manpower and time available such as some masonry, roof work, equipment and asset relocation.

If any of the projects above sound interesting to you, please COME ON DOWN TO THE FORT! Even if it is for a few hours, it doesn't matter.

Also, we will be holding our Coalition membership meeting during our lunch break and all workday volunteers are more than welcome to attend. We have moved to chipping in a few dollars for lunch or feel free to use our fridge should you wish to bring your own.

The poison ivy that some, including myself were exposed to has been killed and quarantined. This area behind the QM shop is off limits until the vegetation has been completely irradicated.

Thanks a lot DetroitYES! I hope to see you at the Fort and look forward to meeting new people interested in preserving this wonderful site.

-Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Project Planning Committee Secretary

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just as a personal query for some project planning...

Those of you who have been to the Fort recently; what would you like to see done there? Keeping in mind a small budget and limited manpower.

I am looking for suggestions from people who have visited the Fort and see additional areas that we can possibly consider for other workdays.

I can imagine a billion things to do with unlimited funds, manpower and equipment resources! However, I am looking for areas where you think can be aesthetic and physical improvements while considering sporadic skill levels from volunteers available at workdays.

Thanks for any input and I hope to see some of you at the Fort on Sept 15!

-Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Planning Committee Secretary
www.fortwaynecoalition.com

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey all-

I received this e-mail recently from the Chairman of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition. As he is not a member of the forum, I agreed to post it in it's entirety for him.

"Hello to All DetroitYes Members and Volunteers,

As the Chairman of the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition I want to take this opportunity to address this forum. First, I want to express my personal thanks to Lowell for authorizing our Coalition to post updates on your site. Secondly, to the many volunteers who have and will continue to provide support to the Coalition I say thank you! Our Coalition was founded with only one purpose in mind-to bring Fort Wayne back to the historical and military grandeur that it once held. The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition (HFWC) does even more than restoration projects, as we provide work on grounds, host many different kinds of events and provide tours for the public and schools.

The greatest asset that we can provide to the Fort is the membership (volunteer numbers) that our organization can offer. Becoming a member of our volunteer group provides the City of Detroit Recreation Department with a strong and lasting partnership. The HFWC is one of the main partners in the organization of the daily operations of the Fort and now to the newly formed Historic Fort Wayne Advisory Commission. The organizational ties that the group brings will help ensure that what happened to Historic Fort Wayne in the late 1980’s and early 1990’s will not happen again.

The Fort has and will continue to benefit from all of the efforts of volunteers (people from all walks of life) who give their time. We believe that Fort Wayne is Detroit’s most well kept secret, a true historical gem. When you tell others you are donating your time at Fort Wayne most will reply “Why are you going to Indiana?” We are working very hard to get out the word to everyone that Fort Wayne is located in Southwest Detroit. DetroitYes is one way. I would like to personally invite you out, Lowell, for a tour and to re-take some of the pictures that you took before, this time from a “restored” angle. Many improvements have been made and you would be pleased to see them. The fact that some of the improvements that were made were done by members of the forum should make you proud, as without this forum we would not have been able to make contact with the volunteers that we did. We are forever grateful!

We are working in many different ways to get the community involved in our efforts. The HFWC has members located in Canada, Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. The newly formed Historic Fort Wayne Advisory Commission has representatives from Federal, State, and City government, the Consulate of Mexico, Ford Motor Company, HFWC, Friends of Fort Wayne and the Randolph Trade School. As you can see membership in the HFWC and partnerships bring strength to not only ours but to each of these organizations. The “partnership” we now have with the DetroitYes community is another important aspect to the overall goal of the HFWC and is part of our mission statement. Again I want to say thank you and I look forward to seeing you all at the fort!

Thomas Berlucchi
Chairmen Historic Fort Wayne Coalition,
President Historic Fort Wayne Advisory Commission"

Thanks to all of the DetroitYes volunteers for helping us make it happen. See you at the Fort on the 15th!!

Plymouthres

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2271
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouth, I never received any e-mails after contacting you, should I have?

Plymouthres

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge-

Yes! My bad, but I've been super-swamped the last few days having just started a new job. I will be sending something out tonight, so look for it!

Sorry for the short notice, and I'll try to do better next workday by giving you folks a bit more time to make plans to come on down.

Please consider coming out to the Fort this weekend and volunteering your time-we could use the help as we wrap up the projects that we started this summer and prepare the Fort for winter.

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, a reminder to everyone coming to the workday.

Please sign in at the security gate and that you here for the workday.

There will be many Coalition members around, but mainly at Building 112. Park there and we'll get you settled in!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can make it out.

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
Projects Planning Committee Secretary
www.historicfortwaynecoalition .com

Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shameless Bump....

COME ON OUT TO THE FORT!!

Have some fun, meet some cool people have a great time!

Historic Fort Wayne - Sept 15 9a-5p

SEE YOU THERE!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.