Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Buffing Eastern Market Murals « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitfunk.com/200 7/09/07/buffing_eastern_market .htm

Good ? Bad ?

I like the murals, but understand restoring the sheds.

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great project. I'm not and never was a fan of the murals. The beautiful brick work and architecture was hidden behind and this clean up will bring that back.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man talk about a non-issue getting rid of the stupid cartoonish paintings off the sheds. Looks so much better now. It was more like legal grafitti before.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1802
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wash that schitt off!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray for graffiti removal!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1903
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No - not graffiti, the murals. Not liking them doesnt make them graffiti.

Anybody who knows anything about masonry will tell you that its an absolute sin to put paint on brick. From that perspective, and due to the ancient historical importance of the market sheds, I can agree with buffing these murals. I'll still miss them.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The graffitti comment was to illustrate my disdain of the "murals". I just hate when people paint brick. The beauty of natural brick should not me messed with.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 238
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The murals were cute but to look at the sheds now that they have been cleaned, it is like taking down a poster of Bugs Bunny and discovering a Mona Lisa.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True murals are painted on a wall especially prepared for them, murals on existing brick walls always seem kind of haphazard.

Still, I've always associated the Eastern Market murals with the Detroit of Emily Gail's "Say something nice...", so they had their place.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad that stupid bird is gone!

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had their place and they had their time. Now, it's great that the brick architecture is showing through. It kind of says we respect what's here, not just paint over something to tart it up a bit.

Buffed to a deep lustre, I'd say!

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sheds look great! I always found those murals cheesy and can't agree more with the beauty of brick comment.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodbye 1970's.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello 1890's.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if the cow on that one building a block east of the shed or the "farmers' trailer" along the Chrysler service drive are slated for removal, too?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser765, totally agree.

While I think they need to be removed for stated reasons, and it's great that so much attention and money is being poured into Eastern Market, I REALLY miss the animals!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5289
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Quinn... while they were "perfume on a pig", they were a quaint piece of folk art that kind of spruced up Eastern Market back when it was a dirty tired looking area. Now that the the surrounding area is also getting a makeover, it's time to restore the entire market.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hello 1890's."

Ain't a thing wrong with the 1890s. Look at the love on this board for (what was) old Slumpy. Victorian architecture was beautiful in its way, although it takes a hell of a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good.

That said, I always thought the murals were the most over-rated thing in Detroit history. Next to the Lions, that is.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up with the animals and will miss them.

Lawnmowerman
Username: Lawnmowerman

Post Number: 21
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have pictures for us out-of-towners..

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Click on the link.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully they used proper brick cleaning techniques and not sand blasting?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty sure that paint that has held up for two-and-a-half decades on brick would require some physical sand blasting or chemical removal.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are just wiping them off with a damp cloth.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 188
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anybody who knows anything about masonry will tell you that its an absolute sin to put paint on brick."

Just why is that? Seems to me that can depend on many variables, one of them being a maintenance issue, just like Alex's murals--what makes you an expert? It’s my understanding that masonry can be protected with paint as well as stucco, assuming the it was applied properly and maintained.

"Hopefully they used proper brick cleaning techniques and not sand blasting?"

Is this a question or a statement? I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Don't worry, the shed is being restored properly.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 189
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we need to remember the murals for what they did for the market and Shed #2 (Shed #1 didn’t make it) in the 1970’s. This was a time when the sheds were old, outdated and Detroit’s people were getting comphy in their new subdivisions. The murals brought some long deserved attention to a gritty old and underestimated district.

Now, we are in a new era, and hopefully we are mature enough to accept the historical rehabilitation of Shed #2 and move on with our lives. After all the buildings are NOT being destroyed, they are being restored!—this is not a bad thing. The murals were great, and they contributed to market safely making it to 2007, unlike most of the countries public markets. They will always be remembered for what they did but now it’s time to let go and enjoy the revitalization—a great public market, where thousands of people of ALL kinds go every Saturday, rain or shine.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 474
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The privatization of management and the future plans for the eastern market district are so impressive.

In a recent interview in Ambassador magazine, Qwame said eastern Market will be the superstar district in the next 2 years, along with the riverfront East projects

. Whats even greater is these 2 districts will connect via the Dequinder Cut.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 893
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good riddance. I'm surprised Ilitch didn't have them scrubbed after the UA "cleansing."

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cooked like a goose!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points Rfban.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.