Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Will the guv trigger Lansing recalls tonight? » Archive through September 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Word on the street, and several texts I've received to boot, tell me that there is talk of ramming through a hike in the Michigan Income Tax...tonight.

So instead of living within its means like everyone else...we get the shaft!

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 616
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why everyone is leaving.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3836
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are trying to ram the sales tax to 7%--a 17% increase. However, the voters must vote on that first.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the Detroit News headline today.

Tax hike talks escalate

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 3258
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Political suicide...it should be, if it isn't.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2344
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Leon Drolet

Friends,

Weirdest thing just happened. The entire Senate waltzed into the House chamber and began lobbying House members to put up the two-thirds vote for the placing a sales tax increase question on THIS November ballot. And Granholm came over with them! Granholm and the Senators from both parties spent about 15 minutes lobbying for 'yes' votes - until the House Speaker, a Democrat, kicked them off the House floor!

I am unsure what is happening behind closed caucus room doors, but Granholm is really working it right now. And why the heck would every senator, join Granholm on some lobby-march thru the House?

Current rumor - no income tax hike tonight, but a two-thirds vote for the sales tax hike election. If citizens reject the sales tax, then the legislature would figure out what to do. JUST A RUMOR. The rumors change by the minute.

Gotta go. I'll keep you posted.

Leon

Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine...

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on September 06, 2007)

Mcp001

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the first I've seen of the News' article.

I haven't received any replies yet as to specifically what they are doing.

Whether or not it'll follow what's outlined in the article, or some other ridiculous plan to shake us down (again) I'm not sure about yet.

:-(

Mcp001

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to get Drolet on my IM list!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3168
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is the first I've seen of the News' article.

That wasn't exactly the article that appeared on the hardcopy front page today. It's a fast-moving story so I suppose that's not unexpected.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Senate Republicans say budget cuts and government reforms should be made first."

Great. Start with your own pay and expenses.

http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/ra te/sales.html

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the voters of Michigan recently re-elect the current governor and the legislators who are, and have been driving the state into ruin by old politics and taxation policies? I guess we get what we wanted.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not a big fan but she is better than the alternative ole whats-his-face!

Lilpup

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's not the problem. It's the Legislature that's the problem.

Bipartisan bitchery on behalf of Michigan

Mcp001

Post Number: 2970
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll give the guv credit, her acting classes have really paid off for her.

She has been able to successfully convince people to think that she can be an actual governor.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2348
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I would love to see a YouTube of her appearance on "The Dating Game."

Mcp001

Post Number: 2971
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, there's enough blame to go around to all.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup - There ain't nothin bipartisan about that site, its a Grahnolm love fest.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the sales tax is raised, I guarantee I will leave Michigan! seriously
(don't all cheer at once)

Lilpup

Post Number: 2714
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see both Dems and Repubs receiving criticism on that website - I'd say that's bipartisan

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10021
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tax rates by State:

I don't know what the (2) listed for California and Virgina

State Tax Rates
ALASKA none
DELAWARE none
MONTANA none
NEW HAMPSHIRE none
OREGON none
CALIFORNIA (3) 7.25 (2)
VIRGINIA 5 (2)
MISSISSIPPI 7
NEW JERSEY 7
RHODE ISLAND 7
TENNESSEE 7
MINNESOTA 6.5
NEVADA 6.5
WASHINGTON 6.5
ILLINOIS (2) 6.25
TEXAS 6.25
ARKANSAS 6
CONNECTICUT 6
FLORIDA 6
IDAHO 6
INDIANA 6
KENTUCKY 6
MICHIGAN 6
PENNSYLVANIA 6
VERMONT 6
WEST VIRGINIA 6
DIST. OF COLUMBIA 5.75
ARIZONA 5.6
NEBRASKA 5.5
OHIO 5.5
KANSAS 5.3
IOWA 5
MAINE 5
MARYLAND 5
MASSACHUSETTS 5
NEW MEXICO 5
NORTH DAKOTA 5
SOUTH CAROLINA (6) 5
WISCONSIN 5
UTAH 4.75
OKLAHOMA 4.5
NORTH CAROLINA (5) 4.25
MISSOURI 4.225
ALABAMA 4
GEORGIA 4
HAWAII 4
LOUISIANA 4
NEW YORK 4
SOUTH DAKOTA 4
WYOMING 4
COLORADO 2.9

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10022
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignore comment above the (2) means

(2) Includes statewide local tax of 1.0% in California and 1.0% in Virginia.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as it doesn't go above the tax rate when Engler was Governor, I'm fine with that.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The children couldn't make a deal.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070906/NEW S06/309060013

I understand some on this forum are friends with folks, and are supporters, obviously, as they are on email lists - but I'm pragmatic, middle-of-the-road guy and I don't give a &&&& whose fault it is. Fix the problem. I'm not voting for any incumbents at all at this rate - not that it matters with the gerrymandered districts.

I'm starting to think, at times like these when compromise is in order, that term limits was a really, really bad idea.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sales tax rates per state above don't tell the whole story. Many states allow local governments to collect additional sales tax. So, for instance, in very few places in New York is the sales tax actually 4% and it is nearly 10% in New York City last I was there.

In Michigan, only the state collects sales tax and local governments can't add to it. So when we say it's 6%, it's 6% uniformly, everywhere.

Everyone is oversimplifying the problem because they are all panicking. We don't have to do that on this board. So let's think about the fundamentals: what do we actually expect the government to do, and how shall we pay for that?

We have a history in Michigan of having a big state government that pays for a lot of things. Can we afford that anymore? If so, who should pay, and how? If not, what should the state stop doing? I pose these questions just to point out that they don't have simple answers (to most people).

Anyone have any creative ideas? I have a friend in the state House; I'd be happy to pass any good ideas along.

One comical thing: you notice any time the State goes so far as to "run out of money", they shut down the "nonessential" parts of state government and almost nobody gives a shit. That should tell all of us something.

Professorscott

Post Number: 715
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, Lilpup, a lot of people say the same thing you said: "start with your own pay and expenses". That's not realistic. It's not that they are underpaid (they aren't); it's just that a truly insignificant part of the budget goes to pay for the elected government and its staff.

The only ways to make a dent in the budget problem are to increase revenue or to cut major expenses. The cost of the Governor and legislature is nickel-and-dime stuff, relatively speaking. It's cathartic to say that, but it really doesn't help to solve the problem.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2720
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People would give a shit if the shutdown was permanent. Certain things can be delayed but not eliminated.

I'd not like a tax on services or food, but I don't mind a higher sales tax - those who spend more/have more to spend will pay more.

The stuff Bishop wants to cut is not acceptable. He's eyeing all quality of life stuff - schools, libraries, museums, DNR, DEQ, etc.

The biggest advantage of going unicameral, or otherwise reducing the number of Legislators, would be to do away with much of the obstructionism like that going on now.

(Message edited by lilpup on September 07, 2007)

Professorscott

Post Number: 716
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post 'pup. I don't mind a higher sales tax either, personally. Cut-wise, what would you do? I agree with your opinion on Bishop's targets; those are the things that make Michigan barely worth living in. Of course, Bishop is a silly ass, but (as Dennis Miller used to like to say) that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong :-)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you folks don't mind paying more taxes, feel free to send Lansing some donations. As for me, I think feeding government with more money is not getting us anywhere. There should always be cuts first before any talk of new taxes should begin.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on September 07, 2007)

Professorscott

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect, that's unhelpful. What would you cut? Don't gloss it over; details are important here.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2721
Posted on Friday, September 07, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG, that's just not going to happen. Cuts in previous years have eliminated the excesses and any substantial cuts made now are going to seriously affect the state. Even the Republicans haven't been able to propose a budget that's balanced without tax increases.

School districts have consolidated and schools and local governments are already working on sharing resources.

What's up with the Secretary of State offices? Some were scheduled to close yet the Legislature bailed them out, and the SoS hasn't had a budget cut. With more of that stuff available through mail and online why are they getting more $$? The SoS could probably be streamlined via process simplification.

Corrections as big a problem as they say? Decriminalize and tax pot and kick non-violent offenders out to extended community service. Chasing potheads is a huge waste of time and funding.

Some depts it's hard to say without seeing the specifics, but why is IT so damned high?

And somehow be more aggressive about reducing the cost of debt service.

Just like in business it's the nickel and dime stuff that kills a budget. Cutting payroll is the lazy way to save money (and detrimental in the long run). Active management is necessary for optimal operations.