Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » VW Definitely Leaving for DC » Archive through September 06, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cerebus yes, Chrysler no.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070904/BUS INESS01/70904088

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i don't know any facts about this, but why would a move to the east coast help vw? today, commerce is conducted via telecommunications. the experienced workers are here as well as the facilities. living and healthcare costs are higher on the east coast and commutes are longer. everyone i know just uses the dc area as a staging grounds to get some experience and get the hell out. mi can't recover if jobs don't stay here.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are we actually going to have some good news around here in terms of jobs and the economy. It was bad here when the rest of the country was booming. Now that the national economy is going south, it probably will only get worse.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, I'm hoping after next election we get a president and cabinet that gives a crap about the economy. Understands the importance of the auto industry. Realizes "Globalization" is just an excuse for thieves. Makes decisions in our best interest. If we get more Bush agenda elitists, We're done. They say our republic is strong enough to endure 8 years of anything. We'll see.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In order to get a man in the white house who cares about the economy we need enough people in the Red States who are willing to vote for their own economic interest as opposed to voting about ideals, i.e. national defense, guns, god, and gays. Doesn't look good Sstash. Europe is looking better and better all the time.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1935
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think VW is a victim of its own little identity crisis. for too long they have made cars that were poorly packaged (ever try to get 4 adults into a jetta?) and just did not come across as good values, then you add recent quality woes, and it all comes together. I think they would be wise to leave the US, except for Audi

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan may lose 1,000 VW jobs

Carmaker expected to move headquarters to Va., distancing itself from ailing Metro Detroit.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070905/A UTO02/709050402

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 469
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk: "Yeah without the press and experienced employees here in Michigan it's a wonder Honda and Toyota manage to stay in business."

The difference, Jelk, is that Toyota and Honda, where they are located, have proven that they can steadily make their businesses grow.

VW has been in the U.S. market for over 40 years. They had niche successes decades ago with the Beetle and Microbus, but weren't able to build on them, and their business has faded; they are not even selling one assembly plant's worth of vehicles here after a half-century of trying.

VW may not need S.E. Michigan and the people here, but moving somewhere else won't solve their organizational and management issues.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 2252
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Europe is looking better and better all the time.

Except for Europeans, who are leaving in droves.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2758
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I left europe over 30 years ago. There is absolutely no way you could ever make me go back.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Except for Europeans, who are leaving in droves."

1st, define "droves"
2nd, what is your source?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5273
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and 3rd where are they going?

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like another Comerica phaseout.........

http://blog.washingtonpost.com /washbizblog/2007/09/volkswage n_moves_headquarters.html

Except for WWJ radio, the Detroit media is slow or was not given these details......

(Message edited by rooms222 on September 05, 2007)

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3200
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Herndon. Bleccch!!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 356
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "looks like another Comerica phaseout........."

Can you elaborate? How is a Comerica's move a phase out? My understanding is they are just moving headquarters. Haven't heard that they are closing up branches or anything. Did I miss something?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VW is in decline and Audi is a partner doing well. Solution, discontinue VW, pool resources to Audi.

Elsuperbob
Username: Elsuperbob

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfectgentleman, I think you're decades behind. People are not leaving Europe in droves. Not Western Europe anyway. In fact they are attracting quite a few people from around the world.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The expectation is that, over time, other central/office staff jobs will leave Detroit as well, and there will be no growth in non-branch jobs. Just as Spirit has moved out HQ, then Call Center (outsourced out of Detroit), pilot base, and now says the flight attendant base in Detroit is safe for another year at best. Spirit has had no Detroit growth, but gradual shrinkage, since the HQ move. expect same for Comerica and VW.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recent evidence is that immigration from Europe to the US is spiking, increased applications. Particularly, and specifically from Western Europe. ElsuperBob , you may be a bit behind.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a hunch any recent spike in immigration from Western Europe is largely from recent immigrants to Europe. London is currently a beehive of commercial activity. However, there is definitely a low ceiling with few cracks for recent immigrants there. I would be surprised if the majority of applications were not filled out by this segment of Europe's population.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 709
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the topic: the real problem as I see it is the trend of corporate HQs leaving Detroit, by merging or moving, and new ones not coming to replace them. Many of you could make the same list I'd make. Just for a few: Hudson's, Burroughs, Comerica, Perry Drugs, KMart. Now VWoA. And it seems every time a Detroit firm merges with a non Detroit firm, no matter who was bigger or more important, the resulting merged firm chooses the non Detroit location for its HQ.

How do we reverse this? It seems to me we have to. Corporations with branch offices or sales outposts here won't be involved with the community the way locally-headquartered firms will.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6471
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw those German automakers! I'm not buying their cars.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Europeans are leaving in droves? Maybe from Eastern Europe but that has been happening since the fall of the wall. Western Europeans? Yeah that happened more than 100 years ago.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Professorscott,

Your question is dead on. My observations of recent departures appear that public companies with Boards of Directors and/or executive staff from outside of Michigan relocate headquarters and operations out of Michigan (Comerica, Pfizer, VWoA).

However, the reverse holds true as well (e.g. Google). Another trend appears to be private companies native to Michigan at least attempting to stay in Michigan and expanding their market here and elsewhere(Stryker, Flagstar, etc).

Maybe the easiest answer is to provide incentives for Michiganders to invest in Michigan companies. There is quite a bit of wealth tied up in Michigan despite our economic woes. If that capital is directed towards a market here in Michigan rather than brokers in New York or Chicago, it makes us attractive to companies attempting to expand operations through sales of stock or bonds.

Our state is often seen by people on the coasts as a "fly-over" area. Maybe we should start trying to be seen as a source of capital for companies rather than a manufacturing labor pool.

I've often wondered how much capital is flowing into our economy from the GM/Ford/Delphi buyouts. If even 20% of that sum was set aside by the former employees solely for investment purposes, Michigan suddenly has a huge potential to provide capital outside of traditional lending sources for companies. I only hope our citizens invest that income rather than blowing it on consumer goods and looking for the next paycheck.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who would have thought the day would come when Virginia is posh and Michigan is seen as a backwater! LOL...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Jenny gets around to talking to the Borders/Barnes & Noble people, too.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who would have thought the day would come when Virginia is posh and Michigan is seen as a backwater!"

I think the area around DC like Fairfax has about as much in common with the rest of Virginia as a place like Ann Arbor has in common with the rest of Michigan. They're suburbs of DC.

Grosseile
Username: Grosseile

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Working and living in Fairfax County (northern VA) where VW is relocating, I can tell you that both the state and the county aggressively team to work to bring high tech and other "clean" (non-manufacturing) jobs into the region. Both the state and county actively recruited VW with financial incentives and were able to sell the high quality of life issues (low crime, superb schools, low state and local taxes, high quality government services, etc.) that an often stigmatized Detroit/southeast Michigan does not seem offer to VW's target audience ("For a young talent, 35 years old, to come here with his family … is a very important factor," Jacoby told the Washington Post in an interview published today.) I know that Auburn Hills/Oakland County is a nice place to live, but it seems that the ineptness the state and local governments were either unable or unwilling to step up and compete with Virginia's aggressive marketing package. BTW, Virginia is a right to work state. True or not, Michigan has gained the reputation as a high-tax, union, business unfriendly state.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3833
Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Jenny's blows keep coming...or is that going? But hey? A majority voted her in...

The big player right now is Cerberus--a NYC company. They are, by far, the majority owner of Chrysler and are snapping up bankrupt Tiers at a fast clip. They now own Tower Automotive in Novi when they took it out of bankruptcy last year. Tower also owned (sold off its bones) NA's once-largest frame/chassis maker--the AO Smith Company, two blocks from my (abandoned too, BTW) parochial school in Milwaukee's five-mile-long 30th Street Industrial Corridor, now mostly vacant or abandoned plants other than the Master Lock Company.

Cerberus is a NY company, and they don't even have a branch in Michigan--even though they bought Chrysler. From its own Web page:
quote:

Cerberus Capital Management, L.P. is one of the world's leading private investment firms. Cerberus specializes in providing both financial resources and operational expertise to help transform undervalued companies into industry leaders for long-term success and value creation.

Cerberus is headquartered in New York City with affiliate and/or advisory offices in Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, London, Baarn, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Osaka and Taipei.

Cerberus holds controlling or significant minority interests in companies around the world. In aggregate, these companies currently generate over $60 billion in annual revenues.

Detroit or Michigan is not mentioned at all in its bio...

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on September 06, 2007)