Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Flies! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the moth invasion we had a few months ago? Well, either we are in the midst of a black house fly invasion or I live in a hellhole. :-(

Seriously. I have never encountered anything like this! I live near New Center/Woodbridge and I am sharing my home with so many damn flies it is driving me crazy. I can't even figure out how the damn things get IN. I don't open my windows. I don't leave my door open. I am clean, my loft is CLEAN, although I can't say as much about my neighbors or the dumpster outside. I can't even kill the damn things because my ceilings are 14 feet high. How they hell am I supposed to swat them??

Anybody else dealing with this or is it just me??

Is there anything worse than a big fly buzzing around your head when you are trying to sleep??

(yeah I know this is a stupid post)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 302
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you're really in...Amityville

Don't swat, suck. Use the vacuum.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny, I've never seen anything like this, but there's a fly invasion here in Chicago too. People have giant fly traps hanging in the alleys...big quart bags full of flies. They're everywhere, it's gross. Dunno what the deal is, there weren't this many last year.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10041
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkier,

I've battled them this year as well, funny Oakmangirl recommended my newfound solution.

Swat and suck. Whatever floats yer boat.

Good luck.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a similar experience with flies last year. The flies were all approximately the same maturity so I figured they came from a common source. I narrowed their origin to a small room that contained my house sump pump. I hung a fly strip in there, kept the door closed and the fly traffic was minimized. The fly swarm passed after a week or so. During the worst period of the fly swarm tho', I did what Oakmangirl suggested. It was tiring trying to chase down and swat the flies. They seemed to be attracted to the light and would congregate at the first window upon exiting the basement. I used a vacuum cleaner with attachments to concentrate the flies presence.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How in the heck are you guys sucking them up with a vacuum? They are buzzing around way high up in the air! God, this is driving me nuts tonight. I have a 20 pound cat who is leaping all over the place (like a bull in a china shop!) trying to kill them so he is apparently a little annoyed as well. ;)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 20 lb. cat? Jebus, even the pets in America are fat asses!

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10043
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not if they let 'im chase those flies around!

(I'm going to feel pretty bad if he has a little, um, BIG kitty cardiac!)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shop vac & a hose.

My Uncle Dick used that trick in the late 60's to clear out the front porch of flies & moths.

James

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 872
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a little info that may help: http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/ urban/flies/house_fly.htm. Hey, Tkierpiec what has 10 wheels and fly's?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have some, too, little ones that like to buzz around people. I found out if I squirt them with something, water even, it knocks them down and I can swat them.

We have cats, too, and had been leaving their food out on demand, I think that could be what attracted the flies, though how they got in in the first place I don't know.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk,

You may need a trip to the hardware or Home Despot for:

a small canister vac with hose
a step ladder
a water bottle like Gaz suggested to slow 'em down
or honey, something, to lure them to one spot, set the vacuum on high and toast those pesky insects.

Remember, you're way bigger than they are; I'm sure you'll be back in control in no time. Good luck.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 378
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, if you do vacuum them up, be sure and get rid of the bag asap, as they will work their way out of there.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, hey ... kitty is not really fat. He's just big-boned. :-)

I know with some more effort I can get rid of these damn things. I'm just truly amazed at the large number! I've spent a lot of time in the Caribbean, in areas where they are no window coverings and flies are a fact of life. Well, it is much worse right here where I am living. I was kind of hoping there was a reason for it - like the moths. I just wish I could figure out how they are getting in.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed a few more than normal in Cass Park but my 1yr old cats are keeping up really well. They only last a few minutes in my apartment and that is without a screen with the balcony wide open.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3157
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OBL has used his middle eastern mojo and whipped up a biblical plague?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 816
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A hole in our air conditioning ductwork caused us to have hundreds of flies in our house. Once my husband deduced that that was the problem and closed it up the flies stopped. The killing went on for hours, though. Nasty as hell, I feel for you.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9949
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neighbors with horses created an all-summer problem for me. Went to a feed store (who should know better) and got some gadgets that pop into the top of a 1 gal plastic milk jug. You get some nasty smelling stuff with it, you add about 1 tbsp to 1/2 gal of water in the jug. Add water throughout the summer to keep jug 1/2 full. Toss the jug at the end of summer, reuse the top next year. 4 around the property seem to control flies all summer long.

End of problem.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 818
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, can you by any chance tell me what the product is called? I'd hate to go into my local feed store and ask for "the stinky thingy that you put in a milk jug to keep away flies". I mean, it does sound like something I would say, but sometimes I like to sound like I know what I'm talking about :-).

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At work there lots of flies, not too bad at the house. The problem at work is flimsy windows / screens lets them in.

Karl

Post Number: 9953
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know the name right now, I'll check them this week (I'm outta town)

However, there are plenty of "amateurs" in the feedstores, just describe 'em and they'll take you right to the product. They're there to sell, not mess witcha!

Karl

Post Number: 9954
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops - Google to the rescue!

Here's exactly what I have, complete with the stinky attractant:

http://www.kyhorse.com/store/p est/milkjugtrap.htm

Good luck, Kathi -

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 405
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was cool, but not recommended indoors. I liked the opportunist spiders and the exploding flies.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't had any fly problems at all. But the exterior of my house has been plagued all summer by those damn box-elder bugs. And there doesn't seem to be any box-elder trees nearby! They are terrible, they hatch in mass waves. I've sprayed them several times over the summer but they always seem to come back. Ah well, it's almost over soon. Then it will be time for mouse season!! We shall see how my new house holds up against those chilly mice seeking winter shelter.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 822
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much, Karl!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 823
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec - This is a homemade version of the milk jug trap that my friend is using and it works like a dream!

Using a two litre plastic soda bottle:

Poke holes in the bottle toward the top where it starts to slant big enough for flies to enter. She used a shish-ke-bob skewer.

1/4 cup vinegar (any kind)
1/4 cup pancake syrup or Karo

Fill bottle up with water to about an inch or so under the holes. Replace the cap.
This truly works and it doesn't smell to high heaven. You could use it in your house. She has two on her patio and they are full of dead flies! Her daughter also is using that method and it works for her too.

She told me you can also use a milk jug.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkierpiec-You need to figure out how the flies are getting into your loft. Do you have a fireplace? Is the damper open? This is what happened at my daughters house, once that was closed she was able to trap, swat all of the flies in the house. Yuck.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they're regular house flies, not black flies right? black flies bite. they're some of the nastiest creatures i've met. i've read that they've actually driven some animals crazy (like cows or horses) enough to try and kill themselves. anyway, for anyone who's interested, the trick to repelling those nasty bugs is dryer sheets. hang them around a hat or the house; the smell repels them.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tk - i live in woodbridge and we have the same problem! last year it was amityville in our house. i would have to kill so many i would just squash them everywhere and they'd leave that disgusting red spot YUCK! it was horrible last year, but better this year. we have central air so i just keep everything closed.

this year i'm having more of a problem with fruit flies. we are very good at doing our dishes but we'll go a day or two between loads and even one cup will attract a whole bevy of those damn things. i need something for that. i know ecolab makes a killer spray for bar and restaurant use but it's too toxic for me being pregnant. anyone know something that will help and not deform my baby? =)

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 589
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again not a expert but I think it has something to do with the warm spell we've had since july. We usually have horrible ant problems but for some reason they didn't come around till august this year. Or it could be all the 1/4 sticks I stuck in the ant hills:-)

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 836
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I once had a mystery Amityville room that filled with flies -- endless flies that kept growing in number. After many days of freaking out, the source was discovered: The room had a door to the patio, where garbage bags were put out. Trash had piled up for a couple weeks in a heatwave. [Warning: Grossness Ahead] Maggots were crawling in under the door, and attaching themselves as little cocoons deep inside the shag carpeting! And then hatching into flies, of course. The carpet was a nightmare - full of cocoons! Very traumatizing, though slightly fascinating to pick through for hours, like grooming.

FYI, in case it helps you identify a maggot factory near you.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1907
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another advantage to desert living. No flies, no mosquitoes.

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

amy - wow. i have to say that i can definitely see your situation being easy to find. unfortunately the flies were not limited to one room. they were all over the house. also - we don't keep our garbage outside like that, we have one of those giant cans that go to the curb and we don't keep any in our house. there's not a stitch of carpet in the entire house either, all hardwood floors so i can rule that out. i have to be honest, i think there's standing water somewhere since it's fruit flies. if i remember correctly from when i ran a bar that is where they breed. the houseflies were less of a problem this year since i kept all the windows and doors shut.

that sucks with the carpet though. i take it you picked them all out in favor of not replacing the shag? yikes....

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that info, Kath (& to all who responded!) - I am going to try the milk jug thing tomorrow. It was so weird today - I thought I had conquered the flies but about 7 tonight, they just started going crazy in here again. From NO flies to about 10 all at once. Big monsters too! Completely disgusting. And Mama Jackson, I have no idea how they are getting in! Windows are shut...I work from home and was busy today and never even opened my door. No fireplace. Old warehouse converted into a loft - those big silver ducts hanging from the ceiling maybe?? They are supposed to put vents on them but never have. I just can't figure it out. I guess I should be happy that the fruit flies have flown the coop....they were really obnoxious in August. I'm guessing the mice will be running rampant very soon. I am seeing all the telltale signs that they have been here.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3159
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If all else fails invite this guy to spend the night

venus flytrap

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 841
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vintage: I just remembered that inside one of the trashbags was a dead bird. That was the golden ingredient in my story.

And yeah, I was renting and poor -- and a bit of a tomboy scientist ;) -- so it never occurred to me to replace the carpet. I just settled in for the disgusting/fascinating task ahead.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 595
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TK you forgot to mention it was FRUIT flies. That is far different than house flies. With fruit flies there is always a source! 100s of them can appear from ONE pop can with a swig left in it. Think of any possible source of sugar and stagnent water. If you don't find the source your fucked. These things can reproduce by the thousands in days. Traps will work but they will keep coming. I could suggest possibly getting a de-humidifier to dry thing out if you can't find the source. If not wait for winter:-)

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no no...the fruit flies were LAST month, Beavis. House flies are the current rage. :-)

The fun never ends around here!

Redhead
Username: Redhead

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A green way to get rid of fruit flies is here...

http://www.greenissexy.org/200 7/08/14/uninvited-guests/#more -154

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flies materialize out of the dust on your shelves, on your TV, on your Bible, and under your bed. The dust particles just start coming together and build a fly. That's where flies come from. I swear!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.