Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Found a piece of Detroit history.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at my grandpas house in his basement. He did work for Detroit Edison from many years so I can kind of understand this find:

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/Picture083.jp g

http://img.photobucket.com/alb ums/v339/ericexp/Picture084.jp g

It seems to be fairly intact for its significant age, if it is the genuine article. It sure smells old..lol

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 380
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How cool is that! If it smells, you might be able to clear that up with the kitty litter trick. Wrap the book completely in some kind of cloth, so it doesn't touch the kitty litter. Put this package into a sealed container of clean kitty litter for about a week. A plastic bag will do, just seal it up tight.

Here is a link to a history of Detroit lighting, which says the city began its own public lighting in 1905.

http://www.iesna-mi.org/DOCUME NTS/pdf_history.pdf

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Edison and DPL one in the same at one point? Aren't they separate now?

That's a pretty interesting find. I wonder how expensive color printing was 100 years ago...

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here, from that cool history link:

1886 The Edison Illuminating Company of Detroit was established and served its first customers. Seven years later, Edison Illuminating and
other electric companies in and around Detroit consolidated which later formed the Detroit Edison Company.

1895 The city began its own public lighting in April 1895, having a large plant on the river near the center of the city. It lights the streets and
public buildings, but makes no provision for commercial business. ...

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1718
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that is two-color printing, popular method back when for cost containment. It was used in printing sheet music covers. here's an example of a two-color sheet music cover

never heard of this song!

that lamp on the cover is great--a carbon arc lamp, replete with carbon-changer climbing rungs

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPL and Edison were never the same. The DPL Commission was appointed in 1893 by Hazen Pingree and power plant construction started in 1894, going live in 1895.

http://www.mpower.org/History/ MPPA25yrHistorypg1-9.pdf see page 7

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 580
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW! What a find I would like to see that. Hell I wonder if in that report it mentions that lights like the ones on the cover will still be in use in the 21st century with the flying cars!

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric,

That's a cool find. Any interesting or funny stats or tidbits from the report itself? Didn't residents at one time have to buy their bulbs through them?

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

light bulbs were free! You turned in the burned out bulbs at your local Edison office. they also repaired all small appliances, like toasters, irons, etc. Then Mr. Perry of the defunct Perry Drugs decided that wasn't a fair practice because how could he sell light bulbs at his drug store if Edison gave them away free.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 209
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the printers were John Bornman & Sons on Fort St., I'll pay money for it. (My great-great-grandfather).

James

jrvass@comcast.net

56packman

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl--no, customers were GIVEN lightbulbs by Detroit Edison, a promotion that began with the wiring of homes built before electricity. The gas company gave away mantles to customers, so the electric company gave away light bulbs to compete, and to get homes plumbed for gas to switch over to electric lights. This custom continued until the late 70s. A small time drug store owner in Southfield sued Detroit Edison because of "all the light bulb business I'm losing". Many people felt he was put up to it by Det. Ed so that they didn't look so bad for discontinuing this program themselves.

(Message edited by 56packman on September 09, 2007)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did we pay for electric service then, or did we truly have a free public utility?

Tangential question: Why do most cities, D included, run electricity above ground. In Europe, cities run it underground; funny how it changes the whole look for a place.

Thanks! This is a fun, educational thread.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 811
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Edison gave away free fuses too.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6360
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakmangirl,

Depends where. Most European cities have a mess of wires and shit overhead.

Geneva, Switzerland

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great find. Those lampposts remind me of the ones I remember on East Warren as a child. They really helped make the area look special. It almost seems the area began it's decline when those were removed.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1904
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Older areas in the US tend to have old overhead wiring still in place, newer areas are all underground. I imagine by the end of this century all the current overhead wiring will have been replaced with below ground. Ain't gonna happen overnight, though.

Um....high voltage lines will continue overhead, though. I'm referring to local service.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on September 09, 2007)

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 313
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw,

I'm going on recollection of visits to Paris, London, and Brussels...I just mainly wondered if engineers hid them for aesthetics?

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 172
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't really had much of a chance to look at it yet. I'm kind of afraid to open it often as it is almost 100 years old!

Jrvass,
I will look into it and get back to you. I didn't see any indication of who printed it at first, but I will look again.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 173
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crap! I just opened it again and the cover fell off! guess I should have took my own advice :-(

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2233
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, 56Pack, 2-Color printing is still popular for cost containment. I believe your sample may be more than 2-Color, as black is also a color when it comes to presses.

56packman

Post Number: 1724
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL--and yet there is an art to the two-color design that is nice. If done well it dosen't look cheap.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 826
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz, should I do that kitty litter trick for my old Life magazines? I can't get rid of the musty smell. I have a small stack of them.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, do try it, Kath. The KL never touches the books, but should absorb any moisture and odors. If they get damp again, the musty smell will likely come back, but you can get rid of it for now, at least. Wrap each magazine separately in loose cloth, and make only one layer of mags for best results.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 828
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Gaz. I've got my work cut out for me.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2243
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"JL--and yet there is an art to the two-color design that is nice. If done well it dosen't look cheap."

Oh, absolutely. I make 2-color jobs all the time. You can do a lot with 2-colors + white or colored paper stock.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 585
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakman- Not a expert here but most euro-cities have thousands of years of infrastructure/ruins just beneath street level. Think London,Rome,Paris,Istanbul. If they did run underground it was a matter of convience.

Fun trivia, Which of the above cities is actually on 2 continents?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2248
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Istanbul

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 782
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Istanbul is on Asia and Europe.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Istanbul was Constantinople, but now it's Istanbul, not Constantinople, so if you've a date in Constantinople, she'll be waiting in Istanbul.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job everyone. That didn't take long. However, given the list of cities that was pretty easy.

56packman

Post Number: 1729
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Lodge: Its nobody's business but the Turks!

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 210
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for checking Ericdetfan. I guess you didn't find the publisher.

The Det. Public Library or Burton & Henry Ford museums may have some recommendations for attaching the cover that won't hurt it's value. I have an 1855 book that had it's cover reattached with a black cloth tape that is like a 100-yr-old version of duct tape. Losing that leather cover would probably cut the value by 2/3d's.

Not that I'd ever sell it since it was probably bought by my Great-Great Grandfather (John Bornman, who arrived in 1837 as a child) and found in the home of my Great Grandfather (Charles, one of the "& Sons").

Sold the printing business right after WWII (who needed ration books? And seed catalogues weren't popular anymore.)

His son died in 1990 and we disposed of the estate in Palmer Woods. Cool house on Lowell Dr.

4 bedrooms & library on 2nd floor. 3 bedrooms on the 3rd floor. 5-car garage with maid & butler's quarters on the 2nd floor. (They lived on the 3rd floor in the house. It was used as a radio-room by my Grand-uncle. We found (& sold) vacuum tubes as big as gallon milk jugs!

I wish I could have seen that house as my 81-yr-old father did as a child.

Rambling...

James

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks

It didn't have any indication of who published it, unfournately.

I will ask what THF thinks I should do about that cover. I was really dissapointed when the cover fell off. I thought I had ruined it. :-/

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.