Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Hello Detroit, « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the quintessential entertainer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=61y Gbva5Re8

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Fox the three nights they shot that show. Had to put up with Liza (sorry, not a fan) to see Sammy and Frank. The show opened each night with Sammy singing "Hello Detroit".
After years of seeing the Fox suffer through Blacksploitation, kung fu and nickel-and-dime operators it was very gratifying to see the theater newly restored and featuring big name entertainers.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 474
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that song.......now.
At first I used to hate it because every morning, Mason would play Hello Detroit on WJLB. It meant (6:00AM) it was time to get up and get ready for school.

<313>

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9938
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman: What year?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

November 29-Dec 2, 1988

I remember the night I had tickets (I worked the other shows) the crew from George Schlatter productions (the company that did the taping for Showtime) were gone, and Sammy and Frank were delighted. They had to do the same set, in the same order, as identical in patter as they could so that the three evenings could be edited into one show without obvious differences. It didn't matter with Liza, her show is cookie-cutter down to the patter, the same little pause and giggle at the same point in every performance. The men loosened up, Sammy did a great set of impersonations. During Frank's set he always sang a saloon song, a ballad about a man brought to emotional wreck over lost love. The saloon song that night was "Guess I'll hang my tears out to dry" by Julie Styne. Frank, despite the fact that his voice wasn't what it had been when he was at his peak still was THAT voice, and his phrasing never suffered. He sang the S____ out of that song, holding a drink and a cigarette in a pin spot for effect. When the lights came up a huge guy (looked like he had been a linebacker in his youth) a couple of rows up from us looked to his wife and tears were running down his cheeks. The old man still could touch an audience.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 819
Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man 56, you were lucky to see them live! Thanks for sharing the story.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel your pain, 313. In the summer of '84 I was a DJ on the Boblo boats. Every time the boat crossed under the Bridge, that was our cue to start playing "Hello Detroit." If you started it at just the right time, the song would finish by the time you pulled into the Detroit dock. Scary thing was, on a Friday or Saturday night when, after playing the current hits of the day, you broke out in ole Sammy. You can imagine the looks you got. There were times that I thought twice about playing it. But hey, I was making 5 bucks an hour! All in all though, it was a great song.

(except for the line, "hug and kissable you...")

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.