Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » U-M season over? » Archive through September 05, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6461
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to some new fresh high school freshman who plays defense for U of M. They are going to stumble and fall. Just like they did back in 1997 when they were in rough start losing 4 straight games.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow from number 5 to 32, maybe that far of a fall is bit excessive but hey.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it interesting that the Land Grant Ag Schools are the ones crowing the loudest?!?!

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But were not the ones falling the farthest, are we?
Besides Michigan isn't that bad I have family there now so in a way I sympathize a little and as a Spartan I know what falling from glory feels like.

(Message edited by mayor_sekou on September 04, 2007)

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goblue,

yeah, those land grant ag schools with better business schools than Michigan(according to Forbes Magazine), an under graduate Urban Planning program (Michigan does not offer an undergrad degree in UP), the #1 Packaging Engineering school in the world, the #1 Hospitality Business Management school in the world, one of the best Education programs in the country, AND is one of the premiere agricultural science schools on this planet.

Yeah, those "cow college" kids are so podunk. Typical Wal-Mart Wolverine response to getting embarrassed.

Step 1: Blame Refs
Step 2: Blame Crown of the field
Step 3: Over hype team that beat you to make vastly inferior team appear to be the Steel Curtain Steelers of the 1970s
Step 4: Accuse MSU of "not standing a chance" against said team
Step 5: Tout the academic "superiority" of a school that you probably didn't go to (seeing as how 75% of Michigan Fans have absolutely no affiliation with the university besides the fact that they are "their team")

Nice try Gobluc, but your tactics play out like a broken record.

Go Green!
Go White!
Go State!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 767
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El_jimbo we lost and are embarrased ok, you win. Now you finally has something to cheer about.
This sounds like a clear case of Penis Envy.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When's the last time Michigan was unranked? MSU? OSU?

El_jimbo

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp,

No. This is not Penis Envy. It's payback. Payback for years of being belittled and made fun of by the "leaders and best" after every embarrassing lose (think ND last year. Well guess what? Finally Michigan had a lose so dreadful that it makes every single loss MSU ever had pale in comparison and now it is time for Michigan to pay the piper for their arrogance.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me rephrase, when's the last time MSU was ranked?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2606
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Jimbo you really do have a bad case of penis envy as mentioned by another poster......

Guess what, if state beats um this year it won't bother me a bit.Frankly I don't see it happening. state has a new coach, a new quarterback and that makes for a lousy chance for them to beat mich.

Look junior it really is rather pathetic the amount of posting you are doing about a team.........that you don't care about.Ya look silly.

Michigan is a more prestigious school than msu_ so fucking what.....why do you care?

Ventura the answer to your question on the 1st two is a long damn time.........the more accurate question regarding msu is when was the last time they were ranked in november or december.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah...spin spin spin. Can't take a little bit of abuse and being poked fun at so we try and turn it around on people. Fine...That's great. If that's how you have to cope with the most embarrassing upset in college football history then you do whatever it is you gotta do.

As far as Michigan being a prestigious school. I DON'T care. What I DO care about is people who don't know a damn thing about what they are talking about implying that MY school is NOT prestigious.

Also, to answer you question, the last time MSU was ranked was probably some time in 2005. The last time they were ranked at the end of the year was in 2004 after they went to the Alamo Bowl.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9775
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Jimbo said: "Finally Michigan had a lose so dreadful that it makes every single loss MSU ever had pale in comparison and now it is time for Michigan to pay the piper for their arrogance."

Please.

A "loss so dreadful" to a #1 team? By 2 points? Get real.

Regardless of what God Michigan did in the past, the Wolverines continue to break new ground. Methinks you will all eat crow on this one - some of you in this season but what do I know, don't quote me.

The history books will be kind to Wolverines and (R) presidents, the rest of ya will be swept into the dustbins of history, imitators all.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 9776
Posted on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS - even after an MSU "university" "education" El jimbo can't use "lose" vs "loss" properly.

Michigan taxpayers, demand a refund.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3635
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought this might be pertinent to the banter:
http://radaronline.com/feature s/2007/08/worst_colleges_corne ll_bridgeport_michigan_state_u niversity1.php

This isn't some random swipe either. Their decree is backed up by the rankings (US News, etc). In the grand scheme, MSU is a bit above average. Their 70-something ranking is pretty good, but is indeed last in the Big Ten.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah...now that Karl has finished going through his playbook of typical Michigan excuses he's moved on to rule #1 of message board discussions. When you can't defend your argument anymore and are clearly beaten, attack the other side's grammar and typos. Congratulations for your de facto surrender. We'll see you November 3rd.

Another thing. #1 team? App State is number one in Division one DOUBLE A! In theory, they should be, AT BEST, the 119th best team in the country! Quit spinning. You're making yourself dizzy.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 76 percent acceptance rate, an abysmal average SAT score, and a rep as a depraved party school. Go Spartans!

Mackinaw,

This statement above totally ruins the whole argument. Over 70 percent of MSU students are from the state of Michigan. MSU (and Michigan for that matter) doesn't require enrolling students to take the SAT. The ACT is used MUCH more frequently. How many MSU students even take the SAT? How many Michigan students?

If their "study" can't even use the standardized test that is most commonly taken, then how can it be taken seriously?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3636
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually closer to 85 percent are in-state, I believe, compared near/under 65 at UM.

That creates a lack of diversity and perspective on campus, to MSU's great disadvantage. If MSU was such hot shit you'd have more people going there from out of state.

You have great party schools in better towns with much better rankings like Wisconsin, Indiana, and Penn State. You also can't walk around South State or Hill Street, South University or a host of other streets 4 out of 7 days a week and tell me that UM doesn't resemble a full-blown party school. So maybe MSU does not have some special wildcard that makes up for its low rankings and football embarrassment.

[and the next argument (always so fitting after discussing weighty topics like academic ratings) that any sparty will make is that their girls are hotter. Well, you're a bigger school with lower standards. Still, the scenery at UM is better than it will ever get credit for]

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I've noticed when I moved to Michigan was the inferiority complex that MSU students and alumni seem to exhibit when it comes to anything about U of M. Whether it be sports, academia or how they party, I always noticed that most Spartan's incessantly try to validate their existence as a great school, almost to the point of fist to cuffs. Not to long ago I joking called MSU, "Michigan Jr" and I seriously thought someone was going to shank me in the back.

I have nothing against MSU; in fact I always root for them whenever they aren't playing Michigan, (which always throws the Spartan faithful for a loop). I know it's a great school but trying to edge out the two is as never ending as the the Rolling Stones tour schedule.

Both of my little brothers are Spartans, (one alum and one enrolled student.), yet I never thought that they would develop this silly little complex towards U of M, boy I was wrong, I swear that notion festers like crazy out in EL. What are yall smoking?

Maybe it's because I've only lived 10 years in Michigan and wasn't taught to have such an animosity towards one school. Maybe it's because I want to see a successful and strong Michigan in every aspect. Either or, the state of Michigan became my adopted home and I just want to see it shine.

Is that to much to ask?

Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1457
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl please some of the stuff you post makes it sound like you didn't even graduate from community college so please avoid ripping on my fellow Spartans slight grammatical error.

The funny thing is Michigan fans mistake what is common behavior in a rivalry as some sort of inferiority complex on the part of their rival. Which just goes to show how over inflated the egos are on that campus. We dislike Michigan just as much as we dislike any other school during the sporting seasons, its just Michigan fans are so much easier to despise. Why? Because they are not real fans, because they are constantly overrated and arrogant, also because of how geographically close we are. Not to mention half of them have never attended the university they just bought a “go blue“ license plate from Wal Mart so they think they can now sneer at us Spartans as inferior while they change my oil at Jiffy Lube.

Here is what I mean by real fans vs. Michigan fans. Look at MSU, we arguably suck ass at football, and have done so for the better part of the last 40 years. But yet we stick with them, thru thick and thin, and will defend their honor to end. Look at you guys, jumping ship after a little adversity and then to deflect the criticism that you cant handle, you revert to belittling other schools in aspects completely unrelated to the sport in question, football. When we lost to Notre Dame, in one of the worst collapses of all time, we handled the heat that the whole country sent our way and we stuck by our team. We didn’t start citing how many “Harvard rejects” from the coastal areas attend our school compared to anyone else. Or look up US News rankings like they really matter for undergrad. Why? Because we are FANS. REAL ONES.
If anything that is something you savvy quasi- Harvarders should learn for us uncultured cow farmers.

And BTW, yes the women here are indeed hotter, we know how to party like rockstars, and our mascot is waaay cooler. GO GREEN!!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 297
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest, Mackinaw, I was going to leave the fact we have more attractive women and better parties out of it. It's just a given and it really doesn't apply to the conversation.

I love how the subject has been changed from Michigan's loss to an attempt to pass the embarrassment on to MSU.

Also, you know what I think when I hear that only 65 percent of Michigan students are from Michigan? Wasted tax payer dollars. Michigan has 15,000 less students than MSU and has less in-state students yet receives more funding from the state government. Why is the state paying BIG money to educate students from other parts of the country and the world? Shouldn't it be more concerned about educating students who are from Michigan, have parents who have been paying taxes in Michigan, and might actually consider staying in Michigan after they graduate to help fight the brain drain? That seems like a better investment of Michigan taxpayer's money.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3638
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of state students pay $35k in tuition alone.

The state requires there to be a certain % of in-state students here; UM could be dominated by out of state students if it wanted to, but it has to keep some standards for instate. After talking to the former Provost and now Prof. of Economics and Public Policy (Paul Courant) here at UM, it really all makes sense, and waste is hardly a word to throw around here.

How does it hurt the state if it brings in people from other states and countries, along with their talent and money? Though most of them don't remain here long-term (the same can be said for plenty of home-grown college kids), a nice amount do enter the Detroit/MI workforce, to our great gain.

Tax payer waste? Ha. Look at MDOT or the state bureaucracy and you'll see waste.

Hagglerock describes the situation perfectly. There are so few sparties you can actually sit down and talk to. They're bound to flip out or at least start saying stupid crap within 5 minutes, if you don't keep the subject away from school or sports.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Headline for Sunday sports section that was not chosen by the News/Freep:

Unemp-LLOYD!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I can have a level headed conversation about school and sports with most people. However, I find that very hard to do with people associated in some way with the University of Michigan. Almost instantly it seems like the person has to inform me of how much better Michigan is than Michigan State. When I try to come back with actual facts (like the fact that Forbes Magazine rates MSU's MBA program to be better than Michigan's) and then mention something about the basketball program I get a lot of hemming and hawing and mumbled statements resembling, "but we're Michigan" as if it is supposed to be some sort of trump card.

Look, it would be foolish of me to deny the fact that the University of Michigan DOES have a better academic and athletic tradition than Michigan State. However, I won't sit back and be told that Michigan State has NO tradition of academic and athletic excellence either.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 226
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered how long it would take some UM fan to bring up academic rankings. Pretty sad.

"UM...resembles a full blown party school." Seriously, what are you on? Why do I get the impression that you're stomping your foot as you post?

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be a General Studies major.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3640
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody said you had "nothing," Jimbo. Read closer.

Spartacus, if I knew you I'd invite you over to my place. Thursday through Sunday the neighborhood is nuts. The bars have activity every night. It just shows that it's possible to do it all (be a good school and party). My impression is that Wisconsin has the best balance of these two things, though.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just shows that it's possible to do it all (be a good school and party).

See, Mackinaw. Comments like that. It's so ingrained you don't know you are doing it. That subtle little dig at MSU's academic "shortcomings".

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I have seen is that MSU grads are defensive because they are constantly bombarded with hatred from non-Michigan grads who barely graduated from High School and place a huge part of their life as if they were alumni.

The other is just good barbs from rival grads of each school.

I also think this is a unique to this area with such a large base of people without any higher education.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 772
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a UM grad and I got it good at a party on labor day from a bunch of MSU fans (never attended MSU). Just like I have for the past 10 years during basketball season. Its all in good fun.
Sj are you a MSU grad?

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2085
Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I am not a MSU grad.

quote:

Im a UM grad and I got it good at a party on labor day from a bunch of MSU fans (never attended MSU).

That is not what I was referring to, I consider that just good ole trash talk. I was referring to the people who belittle MSU grads because they went to Michigan State and not Michigan. Even though the person never even went to college. Basically belittling their education and alma mater for being a cow college, or that they are stupid because they graduated from MSU and everyone could do it even though they never have.

Now between graduates that is just plain old fun, but when a nobody criticizes it I could see why they get defensive.