Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Vinton Building on Woodward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know about the progress of this building ? You see construction lights on but I had thought the project was supposed to be completed months ago? I thought the floors were sold out..

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 776
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and when is the exterior lighting going to illuminate the facade? I'm pretty sure I've seen it dark at night when I have walked past.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 570
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it has been very disappointing to see the progress on this building at least visibly stall the last number of months

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daily walk takes me by this building. I've seen lots of activity there all year. On friday I saw about a half dozen or so work men in front of the building having lunch. Have patience, its a large old building, its going to need a lot of work. I'm just glad it don't reek like a sewer any longer, thats what Hudson's smelled like during its last years.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10089
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the work done on places like this isn't immediately visible.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2241
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many delays are no fault of the owners. There's typically a lot of bureaucratic red tape with projects like that. I'm sure that vandalism/theft is a problem during construction, too.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10055
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the developer's fault.

Delays caused in part by scrappers who stole the motors for the elevators...keeping them from getting heavy stuff to the upper floors.

Lotsa frustration...seems par for the building industry, especially in Detroit.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4124
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroityes.com/news /070830/601pics/102.htm

Look in the front door^ for yourself. It is happening. As mentioned, delays beyond control of the partners and the theft of the elevator engine by copper scrappers have set them back. No one wants it done more than they do.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 301
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the updates. Was wondering about the progress of the Vinton. Was sorry to hear the building got hit by scrappers awhile back. Glad progress continues.

(Message edited by xD_brklyn on September 10, 2007)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11675
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps Ernie Harwell should join their team. :-)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitplanner wrote that Hudson's smelled like a sewer...I remember that smell very well. It wasn't as offensive as a sewer, though...more of a simple damp smell: so many parts of the building had gotten wet or damp, and even after drying out the smell lingered.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

many abandoned buildings have that very smell. i call it nostalgia :-)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10066
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not just that...after time, all of their sewer traps would most certainly dry up...allowing sewer gasses to seep into the sealed building.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are each of the units in the Vinton building doing their own thing on their own floor? That would certainly take a bit of time longer as opposed to making every unit on every floor exactly the same.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.