Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 105.9 FM « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if anybody remembers this the way I do. I will share.

1973 "Chameleon" H. Hancock
They did not just play this on jzz they also played it on r&b stations as well.

It was kool to cruise around with jzz playing even when I technically was too young to be doing so.

I am not talking about traditional jazz...I am talking "fusion" and electric jazz, the predecessor to "smooth jazz".
Jzz was Detroit on a Sunday afternoon after you finished wiping your car down.
Jzz was cool to listen while riding out Outer Dr.

Deodato, Bob James "Westchester Lady" 1973-74, Herbie Hancock "Give it all your Heart 1979-80" featuring Patrice Rushen. Jean Luc Ponty "Life Cycles" 1979, "Modern Times Blues" featuring Detroiter George Benson 1984.

The velvet voice of Rosetta Hines' "nightlife".
Listening to "Sundown" with Cliff Coleman. Telling us who was and where they were playing.

I remember thinking that music was just cool...on Sunday evening when you had to come in to start getting ready for school the next day.

Billy Cobham "the Red Baron" 1973
Chuck Mangione "Give it all you've got" theme for the 1980 winter olympics.

"Mysterious Traveler" was it Les McCann?
"Invitation to Openness"..I can't remember right now who did this tune.
Spyro Gyra "Alternating Currents" 1985
Yellowjackets "Mirage A Trois" 1983
Herbie Hancock "Thrust" 1974
"Summer Madness" Kool and the Gang 1974
"Mr. Magic" Grover Washington
"third Eye" roy Ayers
"Vibrations" Roy Ayers 1976

I remember this stuff well and when I think about the times in Detroit when I was growing up...this is the soundtrack and the radio station.
It is not the only that brings back fond memories but I was having a moment just now...

WJZZ 105.9 ...before there ever was a Jazz 106

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to WJZZ back in the disco daze of the '70's... :P

I was maybe 12-13?

James

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 925
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The George Benson you mention...guitarist...is NOT the Det George Benson...saxophonist...I think George got a gig one time from this "mistaken identity" lol. The 'other' Benson hails from Pittsburgh.
"Mysterious Traveler", w/o my LPs handy to confirm I'm thinking this was Weather Report

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 98
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was Weather Report.

Do you remember Don Swindell's hilarious morning show? Interesting that Alexander Zonjic did a funk set at the Jazz festival. Is smooth adult contemporary music starting to get out of fashion?

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, September 10, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexander Zonjic who used to play at Alexander's (Woodward and Canfield)

Smooth Adult contemporary jazz is "out of style" because they have watered it down further with people like Luther Vandross, Whitney Huston and other slow to mid tempo r&b.

Contemporary electric jazz and fusion was usually instrumental.

Incognito always does a version of "pick up the pieces" whenever they do a show.

Al Dimeola, Airto, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and later Lenny White
Return to Forever

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo, we have a lot in common. In another thread you mentioned the Brown Jug in AA which I frequented on football weekends. I even resided in both Ypsi and AA a long time ago. Father worked at Bendix in Plymouth during the 60s.

From 1980 to 1989 I was really into Jazz Fusion (Jeff Lorber, Azymuth, Al di Meola, Chick Corea, Eumir Deodato, Jaco Pastorius) and other jazz (David Sandborn, Yellowjackets, Ponty, Noel Pointer, and especially Lee Ritenour).

Some of my all-time favorites are:

[1] Dave Grusin and Lee Ritenour on the Harlequin CD (1985) - this one sounds as good today as it did back then

[2] Jean-Luc Ponty - Civilized Evil (1980)

[3] Tania Maria - Made in New York (1985)

Some excellent jazz music sources are:

http://bandwmusic.blogspot.com /
http://jazzrockz.blogspot.com/

Brothers Johnson were awesome as well.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 873
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al Dimeola, Jean-Luc Ponty and some one else, I cant remember, toured in the 80's Saw them at Royal Oak Music Theatre

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo, where you may be correct, unfortunately, that watered down crap is doing well in several cities, including Detroit. The problem is, the format "smooth jazz" is pretty much dictated by one guy. He calls himself the person who invented the format, and basically, what he SAYS is smooth jazz is smooth jazz no matter what. Michael Franks? Hell no. Jean Luc? Nope. Kenny G every hour? You better believe it. And don't even think of playing something you want to add to your station. Even if you are in charge.

I worked at a station "controlled" by this guy. Trust me, it's true. I'll give him the track record in some cities, but in other cities the format fails.

But it's not HIS fault...

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm [probably] the only person in my generation who LOVED WJZZ (I have a decal on a piece of blank paper). They played EVERYTHING from Charlie Parker to Incognito. From Gato Barbieri to David (pronouced dah-veed) Sanchcez. And of course the [fusion] classics:

Weather Report
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Return to Forever
Billy Cobham
The Jeff Lorber Fusion
Chuck Mangione
The Clarke-Duke Project
Chick Corea Akoustic (and Elektric) Band
Al di Meola
Airto
Roy Ayers
Gil Scott-Heron
George Benson (not the GB from Detroit)
David Blamires

And a few european cats who made their presences strong and felt in the jazz circuit

Ralf Illenberger
Jean-Luc Ponty
Incognito
The Brand New Heavies
The James Taylor Quartet
Galliano
Sade
and many more whose names escape me at the moment.

Jimg

Post Number: 928
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mention of Weather Report...Joe Zawinul passed this morning in Vienna...

Jazzstage

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim,

You are too knowledgeable. I was about to post the same info.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/ph p/news.php?id=15110

Jimg

Post Number: 929
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol...great minds...jazz minds anyway...

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni-Damn...Both Ypsi and Ann Arbor...we are probably going to find out we know each other or some of the same people.

I used to live in the West Willow subdivision in Ypsi. Hung out all over the area. Willow Run, Sugarbrook, LeForge, Stonybrook(Ann Arbor), The Heights(Ann Arbor),Ypsi's south side and Belleville.

Shopped for music at Puffer Red's records and I remember when he was in Wayne, MI. I dated his niece, she lived on Vaughn off 7 Mile.

I used to walk home from Vetal sometimes. I'd walk down Acacia to the Freeway, walk a block over to Lyndon...walk all the way to Rutherford...cross Grand River...buy candy at Larry's party store on Mansfield or 7 Stars...and sometimes Leddy's. Walk down Eaton and I lived on Forrer back then.

I saw Lee Ritenour only once during his "Wesbound" tour. His tribute to Wes Montgomery. His concert was kind of boring to me...so was Jon Lucien.

Miss_Cleo-the only time I remember Jean-Luc Ponty and Al DiMeola touring was in 1995 with Stanley Clarke and it was totally acoustic. That was a kick ass concert. Hearing Stanley play "School Days" on the upright(and seeing it too) is not something you would want to miss.

Mallory-I know about how well it is doing(which is tragis in my opinion...but maybe I am just dated as the music I speak of)...I did not know about "Mr. Smooth Jazz". No wonder...I have been wondering all this time how this happened?

Wasn't WJZZ and AM WCHB affiliated in some kind of way?

That's deep about Joe Zawinul.

I played drums and percussion and later bass. I played in a local r&b group called "Cover Story" in 1988 and played in several groups that mixed the Minneapolis sound with fusion (a lot like Madhouse). Wayne Shorter had an album called "Phantom Navigator". That is one piece of fusion I could not get with....I mean his arrangement were just like...like....like...I think it was required that you get high before listening because it was just beyond me.

Vetalalumni-I have been a Tania Maria fan ever since I heard "Funky Tamborin". She worked with George Duke quite a bit during the late 70's and 80's. She has an album called "Wild" which is live and the actual concert used to be played on the Bravo channel...but that was years ago. Nice album...she is seriously dangerous on the piano...

"Countdown" by Lee Ritenour...that was a bad ass tune.

...and the "Captain Fingers" album with Ray Parker Jr. and Michael Sembello.

man....good good memories.

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on September 11, 2007)

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 270
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Azymuth "Dear Limmertz"

I was trying to think of the name of that song...

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 269
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In memory of Josef Zawinul (1932-2007).

Max Roach, Michael Brecker, and Alice Coltrane died earlier this year also.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 876
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, this was in the 80's RO Music Theatre.......I am going to ask my husband who the third guy was. I remember it being an awesome show....just cant place the third guy.......Paco somebody?

Ah! I found it on the RO website. My bad it wasnt Ponty, it was McLaughlin, DeLuca & DiMeola Great show!

(Message edited by miss cleo on September 12, 2007)

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo-yeah...I just thought about it, the concert I was talking about was at the Fox.
John Mclaughlin. I can imagine that was good show. The last person I saw at Royal Oak was Norman Brown 1993 or 94.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo, do you use Instant Messenger?

Rit - yeah, I had heard that Rit was typically better enjoyed on wax (CD) than live - but not always. Never attended a live concert of his though.

Azymuth (or Azimuth in the early days) - I have about 90% of their CDs. The other 10% are rare and very difficult to obtain. These Brazilians could/can jam. Probably better described as electronic-jazz artists. My favorites are "Light As Feather" (1979), "Outubro" (1980), and especially "Telecommunication" (1981).

On another music related note, you mentioned Bassist Meshell Ndegeocello in another thread. She has played for Chaka Khan in the past. I have heard Chaka's new "Funk This" (it's nice!) and it has some nice bass lines on it. Cannot yet confirm if it is Meshell playing bass on this CD. "The World Has Made Me The Man Of My Dreams" is Meshell's latest CD which has already been released in France and Japan, but not until 9/25/07 here in the USA.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on September 12, 2007)

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah man, I use Yahoo and Aol. Let me know which one you use?

Yeah Meshell, definitely a "happening" bassist. I saw Meshell and Sheila E. and E-Train with Eric Leeds at the Magic Bag in 1994.

"Outubro" is the only LP I have by them and it's on wax. I need to get the CD or I should just say "music files".

She did a video with John Cougar Mellencamp for the song "Wild Night". The Bass "licks" sound like her all day.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1032
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"WJZZ, The Jazzy One"
RIP Joe.

I remember the ad's for Baker's Keyboard and Watts Club Mozambique!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yahoo Messenger Kaptansolo.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

email me at kaptansolo@netzero.net

We'll do the Yahoo ID swap there.

Goldensunshine
Username: Goldensunshine

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah . . .I was a WJZZ fan as a child.
When I was 4 I remember my piano teacher had the WJZZ sticker on his brief case . . .the one with the rainbow, and the detroit skyline.

My friend's dad used to drive us home from sports, and he would have it on . . .This was around 93-94, so I just remember hearing Stanley Clark's "Justice's Groove", "Seems Your Much too Busy" by Vertical Hold (the group Angie Stone used to be in), ALOT of Michael Franks & Incognito, "A Taste of Honey" by Herb Alpert . . .

My number one station, that I miss SOOOOOO much now that I am gone is 107.5 the Rhythm.
You hear alot of that rare music that you used to hear on JZZ.
I won't lie though (sorry jazz purists) I am a HUGE smooth jazz fan. Boney James, Dave Koz, Kenny G, Keiko Matsui, Joyce Cooling,Special FX I love them all!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 724
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo, check your email~

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 275
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the people you just mentioned. The only thing I got tired of was "smooth jazz" has too much sequencing.

I am not a "jazz purist" but I like real musicians. Have a drummer play drums(not a drum machine)
Have a bassist play bass(nothing wrong with keyboard bass but the bass guitar or acoustic has to be there)
I don't mind the strings and horns being played on the synths as long as it is just "stabs" or licks.
...and guitarist...well that is self explanatory.

I am a huge special efx fan...I remember when Cheili Minucci was in the r&b group "B.B.Q." ans the big hit they had in 1982 "Imagination".

I just like real musicians that jam. ...and solos man...there is a whole generation that knows nothing about solos nor do they have an appreciation for them or a musician's ability.

(Message edited by Kaptansolo on September 13, 2007)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 732
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smooth jazz is real big out west. Peter White, Richard Elliot, Rick Braun, Walter Beasley, Jay Soto, Norman Brown, and Kim Waters.

It can get boring after a while.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a huge Kenny G fan.

Kenny Garret that is. Fusion groups like Tribal Tech, Return to Forever and even some Frank Zappa are not really the forebearers of smooth jazz. Smooth jazz is very limited melodically, rhythmically and harmonically. Not to say that some of those guys aren't able to play more sophisticated music. Sometimes they will even do so on a smooth album. The music is more related to Rhythm and Blues than jazz.

Back in the 80's the station "The Wave" hired an advertising agency to create a name for the style they were playing. The name they choose was smooth jazz. So now you know what to call both Kenny Gorelic and Whitney Houston.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the DJ Butterball Junior on WCHB AM 1400? In the late 70s he was my neighbor in Rosedale Park. He was a very quiet/reserved man around the neighborhood, and kept an immaculate home on the NE corner of Glastonbury and Eaton.

And Michael Franks was very "cool" back then, and JZZ played him often.

Trstar
Username: Trstar

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still have my WJZZ sweatshirt

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goldensunshine, you're right about 107.5 the Rhythm. They do play some of that rare jazz that you used to hear on WJZZ. There are times when listening to 107.5 you think WJZZ has been resurrected.

I remember Ronnie Laws' "Always There" as being one of the sweetest fusion songs I had ever heard. It still moves me when I hear it. Also, Herbert Hancock's synthesized vocals was sweet(what's the name of that album?).

Gino Vanelli's "Storm At Sunup" got a lot of play on JZZ. My brother had the album and it blew me away. Earl Klugh's "Heartstring" also was sweet. My brother and I would also buy a lot of Bob James, especially "Touchdown", "Lucky Seven", "H"( which I taped the whole album from JZZ's "Album Review" show), and "Sign of the Times". However, it was "Winchester Lady" that sold me on Bob James.

A few of my other favorites include: The Crusaders, and "Streetlife", Jon Lucien, George Benson, and I can't forget Phyllis Hyman.

I still remember the day when I turned on WJZZ and hip hop and rap was playing. It was a sad day. I'm glad 107.5 decided to go the route that they have gone. It's refreshing to hear jazz and R&B that you usually don't hear on other stations. WJZZ lives on!

BTW, "Smooth Jazz" is a format that developed from the New Age music that was being played on radio stations in the late 80s, calling themselves the "Wave".

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo, and others I agree with choices.
F smooth jazz
Straight up in your face jazz is where I'm at.

"The problem is, the format "smooth jazz" is pretty much dictated by one guy. He calls himself the person who invented the format, and basically, what he SAYS is smooth jazz is smooth jazz no matter what. "
Mallory, We need to talk to this GUY. hahaha
ps: Is Al Di Meola the best guitarist ever?

(Message edited by lefty2 on September 16, 2007)

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smooth jazz is neither smooth, nor jazz.
Things like Parker and Brubeck inspired thinking, not lack of it.

Jazzstage

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"smooth jazz is smooth jazz no matter what."

What does this mean?

Many argue it's importance by calling it a gateway music although I could argue other styles are too:

For Example:
Country (Bob Wills, Bill Monroe or Willie Nelson) might lead to Sinatra or Bill Frisell
Heavy metal might lead to John Zorn or Ornette Coleman.
Blues might lead to Cannonball Adderley etc..
Rock (Doors, Grateful Dead) might lead to Trane or MMW
Soft Rock (Paul Simon) might lead to Sachal Vasandani
Reggae might lead to Monty Alexander.

So many ways to musical awareness.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't call it jazz.
And we'll be fine.

The guys in Spirogyra never had to sell their horn for heroin.

So how can it be Jazz? lol.

Kaptansolo

Post Number: 276
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce-the Herbie Hancock album you speak of (if you are talking before "Future Shock" which contained his smash "Rockit") is "Lite Me Up" with Patrice Rushen also on Vocoder vocals. The duet was "Give it all your heart".

The other song on that LP that he used the vocoder or talk box was "Motor Mouth" and "Getting to the good part".

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.