Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Borderick Tower v. 1001 Woodward v. Lafayette Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2051
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All three have been "in the works" for some time but it seems unlikely that all three projects would be able to happen around the same time without cannibalizing each others' sales and driving down the cost benefit of all three projects.

So my question is, which of the three is the most important that you would like to see happen first and which is least important?

Which project will have the biggest impact on downtown ad which would be easiest to go another 10 years without?

Thoughts?

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if one or more of the projects moved to a lease arrangement rather than for sale, two or more of the projects could move forward without cannibalizing each other's market share. There is a huge dirth of upscale rental units in the CBD, though I remember the market studies projecting a higher market for rentals than for purchases.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2052
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would certainly help to have a combination of condos and rentals among the three projects, but some competition will still remain...

So which is most important and which is least important? You must choose...but choose wisely :/

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 447
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Broderick Tower
2. Lafayette Building
I personally don't care for the other. And perhaps, it could be used for commercial at a later date.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 777
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lafayette Building project is dead. So erase that one from your list. I think the Broderick is more important than 1001 Woodward. Just because of it's location.

I don't think the two projects, Broderick and 1001 Woodward, will canibilize off each other, it seems they are two different products, even though they are for sale.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10106
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the location argument but I would rate Broderick over 1001 simply due to current conditions.

1001 still is a nice building and maintained well, Broderick is a dump with pieces of the building falling off. Aesthetically and psychologically the Broderick would be seen as a much bigger success IMO.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Broderick.
Mostly cuz I want the penthouse.
:-)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Lafayette Building project is dead"

The agreement with the last builder is dead...however, the prospect of the building being renovated is not...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just to clarify; the broderick will initially (at least) be rental. http://www.brodericktower.com/ index.html 1001 woodward will be for sale: http://www.1001woodward.com/ i haven't heard anything good about the progress on the lafayette building, so i would expect that to be dead.

[rrl; no chance. i believe mr. higgins has his name written all over that unit.]

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10107
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

[rrl; no chance. i believe mr. higgins has his name written all over that unit.]

Great, now even a partner in the project is tagging the inside of the place.

Wpitonya
Username: Wpitonya

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say the Lafayette should be a top priority in the city's eyes because of its location by the Book-Cadillac. That will be a shame to have a newly restored hotel across the street from a building with so much potential.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I had read somewhere that the Broderick developers changed their investment plan and instead centered it around for purchase units. I don't have a link, maybe I'm wrong.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2055
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wpitonya:

My thoughts exactly...

it's such an eyesore in that area...you've got the BC, soon to have the Griswold, the Federal Courthouse, 211 building, Holliday Inn all in the same vicinity....

Then you have this vacant, boarded up grafittied building right in the middle of it all...

Even if they can't find a developer, they should at least pay to have the grafitti removed and the building sealed up better...The Free Press building is vacant too but at least that doesn't make the area look like a ghetto..

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Broderick is the most important. GCP seems so close to a tipping point with development and I think a success in the Broderick really would bring that area around. Throw in Quicken speculation and happenings with the Whitney and UA and your looking at a lot of potential there.

Im really pulling for the Lafayette but I think its still a ways away. Its going to be a large undertaking and with other projects underway or further along the market might not be able to handle it.

1001 Woodward I think can be a really sweet project. It concerns me that the developers havent been able to get it further along. I begin to salivate thinking about the views of Campus Martius and downtown that this building has. Great location.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broderick would be the logical choice, I think they have changed from tax incentive rental to condos. Why is this? Maybe they see a quicker ROI.? The owners will definitely get the top floor_s. I just wonder how long it would take to sell out before they can make money, this is a project and a half..

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1001 DOES have great urban views - some of the best of any residential potential in the city, as well as killer location AND parking.

Interestingly, having been on the empty floorplates (with permission), it is the most structurally ready-to-go of all of the aforementioned projects. Looking out those windows reminds me of what New York or Chicago is like. I don't know why it hasn't gone ahead faster.

I'm going to cheat. I want all three to happen... no preferences :-)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision, what makes you think that Floors only 13-21 of 1001 woodward offer better views than any of the other of the aforementioned projects and what makes you say that it is more "structurally ready-to-go?" Are you an engineer?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.