Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit article in The Source 'The Miseducation of Detroit'.. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Source's website appears to be down, so I can't post the article. If you pick up this month's edition with Chamillionaire on the cover there's an article that talks about the condition of DPS. They also feature the thoughts of an aspiring 17 y/o who has recently dropped out of school. He talks about feeling like he was more in a "holding cell" than school except on count day. If you've got a chance give it a read.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2071
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They also feature the thoughts of an aspiring 17 y/o who has recently dropped out of school."

come again?

P.S. "Chamillionarie"...lol

Detroits_own
Username: Detroits_own

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

17 y/o rapper

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6494
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Miseducation of Detroit starts with the people who clown around and not thinking straight and the whole wide world sees our city one big black joke like New Orleans.

Let's show those folks that Detroit means businesses. Detroit and the suburbs must come together and put away the Mississippi past.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang Danny your gonna get some major flack for that last post!! LOL

People dont want to hear the truth though. EVERYONE I talk to thinks detroit is the armpit of the country. (not my sentiment) but thats how most people view it.

I do think the image is changing, albiet slowly! I still think Detroit needs a PR department. We never hear any thing good from the D., and all we hear about the D. is bad. The city needs to start talking itself up. Nobody else is going to.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 123
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"aspiring 17 y/o rapper"

*sigh*

Because we all know what Detroit really needs is more aspiring rappers without high school diplomas. That and maybe a few more nail salons.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, not everything everyone hears about Detroit is bad. I don't know what psychotic universe you live in to believe that.

Oh, and one other correction.... everyone thinks that MICHIGAN is the armpit of the universe. You silly people who think that you are so much better than everyone else are part of the armpit.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may seem narcissistic, but I love Michigan

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we're our own worst enemies. Most people I know in other cities are often curious of Detroit and interested in visiting the city. Most people who visit have a great time. Detroit is definitely not Chicago, New York or Miami but it's still a great town with tons of culture and lot's of flavor. When you have a metropolitan area that is so down on itself, what do expect everyone else outside of Detroit to believe.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are our own worst enemies. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Detroit or Michigan that could not be fixed by relocating the entire population and replacing it with 9 million people randomly selected from the Americas and Europe.

I find that people from who move to our town from out of state really like it, much more than the locals.

I am tortured by a love/hate relationship with Michigan. It is my birthplace and I want it to succeed, in part because I have 40 relatives and family members who live here.

But on the other hand, I loathe, hate, despise in the strongest possible terms the culture and lifestyle of Michigan. The strip malls, the endless driving everywhere, the Big Three, the UAW, the total lack of venture capital, the "car guys", the refurbished mussel cars, the trailered power boats, the snowmobiles, the SUVs, the under-educated suburbanites grousing about China and indulging in hysteria and racism over the city, the aspirations for "acreage", city streets without curbs, the inane hyperventillation about the MSU-UM or UM-OSU football rivalries, the dowdy but pretentious country clubs and most grating and annoying of all, the welter-weight upper middle class that fancies itself as "upscale" but couldn't afford a starter condo in San Francisco.

Oh, and the thing I hate the absolute most is how they hang all the traffic lights and signage from these ugly cables instead of using metal poles. That and the utility wires which are not buried but stung up all over town in an unsightly web of wires complemented by the slightly mis-aligned and tottering wooden utility poles.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok is this the "WHY I HATE DETROIT,MICHIGAN THREAD?

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 404
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Yvette248, You really didnt have to go into name calling telling me I live in a psycotic universe. I have yet to tell someone Im from detroit that they say Oh man What a great city! Why would you want to leave? Really Yvette come on. Most replies are "Oh Im so sorry" or if I tell people Im homesick "how the F could you be homesick for that place" or "Oh my god, I've spent the worst night of my life in that F'ing city" These are all direct quotes.

I'm not a detroit hater at all. As a matter of fact, I love Detroit. If circumstances present themselves I would move back. (response from my ex about me saying I would move back -- "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR F'ING MIND"?

But Yvette, you just keep living in your fantasy world thinking the whole country loves Detroit. Hope that works out well for you.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.