Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Falling debris injures woman downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a blurb on WWJ about a metal beam falling from a building a hitting a lady in the head at Clifford and Woodward today. She is in serious condition. That had to have been the Whitney Building, right? Anyone else hear about this?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2755
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A metal beam? Sure someone didn't chuck it?

Usually it's brickwork that falls.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3915
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems like the work of lizards. How far is Clifford from Mack? Might the metal object have been a sewer grate being flipped or something? Just curious...

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clifford is right downtown, one block from the Metropolitan Bldg. and 2 short blocks from the YMCA. That corner is the opposite on that block of the Whitney building.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f= q&hl=en&geocode=&q=clifford+at +woodward+%2Bdetroit,+mi&sll=3 7.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.8394 16,71.982422&ie=UTF8&ll=42.335 108,-83.049399&spn=0.001812,0. 004393&t=h&z=18&om=1

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked by there earlier this evening, yellow police tape surrounded the sidewalk and a dpd car was parked on the street. The metal beam was resting on the sidewalk. I'm not sure of the building name, but it was on the nw corner of the intersection. I'm thinking "Michigan National Bank" was displayed on the building somewhere.

(Message edited by bohemianrobot on September 11, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 391
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call Sam

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not again...

Digitalvision

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, that's consistent with what I remember of the building.

That building has a bunch of steel/metal trim on it.. all makes sense now.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city should force building owners to cut off all metal beams.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10103
Posted on Tuesday, September 11, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They used to be installed for pulleys to lift up heavy large objects...the point where they come OUT of the brickwork would certainly be a VERY probable rust-through point.

I don't remember seeing too many of these downtown, but I'll be looking for 'em now.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 534
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you have to wonder... what are the odds... i mean, what are the odds that a certain metro detroiter would be walking in the EXACT place that a metal beam would fall.. when in all likelyhood that beam could have fallen any time in the past or future 10 years... what if this lady had given a quarter to a bum, or her shoelace came undone, or she was distracted by a loud sound... anyone of these things would have delayed her 10 seconds and saved her life...

amazing...

Gannon

Post Number: 10108
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're saying that today she was the second most unlucky person in the City?

The mayor had a few things dumped on his head today...a few million.

You're absolutely right, though, we're not exactly a pedestrian city, in the biped meaning of the term.

Beantown
Username: Beantown

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building is the Richman Building, and was designed by Albert Kahn. It is the least attractive of all the Kahn buildings I have seen.

http://skyscraperpage.com/citi es/?buildingID=25295
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=richmanbuilding-detroit- mi-usa

(Message edited by beantown on September 12, 2007)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 393
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The mayor had a few things dumped on his head today...a few million"

No, the taxpayers did. Isn't going to cost him a dime.

Gannon

Post Number: 10114
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Touché.

There was some discussion of the City Council being able to indemnify the mayor, since it can be blamed on his actions...including NOT taking the $250,000 settlement bragged about by one of the plaintiff attorneys.

Whatever, should be another thread. Sometimes I can notice these things.

Looking at the specs for the building, it seems 134 feet is a bit HIGH for merely 8 stories, isn't it?! I'd previously used 10-12 feet per story as a guesstimate of building height...wonder what is in all that extra space, a thirteenth floor, perhaps? or would it be one at 7 1/2?!

Digitalvision

Post Number: 363
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! 7 1/2!!!!! Hilarious. I didn't hear that LesterCorp was moving downtown... but I've been working a lot, maybe I missed it.

Yah, I am surprised it's a Kahn - but every pitcher eventually gives up ten runs in a game at some point in their career.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1893
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU/VMC

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.