Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Retail guru: Detroit must change marketing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0912/REG/70912001/1006

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2179
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe people paid to hear that. Absolutely nothing beyond common sense. I could give a better speech about downtown retail. And frankly, I have.

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People get paid to tell people that! DUH!!!!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1612
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turning Woodward Avenue parking lots into retail and commercial developments. Cutting down the amount of parking near Comerica Park and other venues would encourage people to park further away and force them to interact with businesses in the area, Eichelbaum said.

Ya don't say?

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wanted to attend that meeting, I'm so glad I didn't now.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many presentations have we had now that have all say this same thing?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 364
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is why I don't get hyped up over these speakers.

I've learned that in general, most speakers/presenters/etc. brought in by people are hideously neutral and blatantly obvious.

The real reason for these get togethers is to have a feel-good topic - no one actually wants to go to a thing to think about, they've paid money to be there to network. This is not aimed at the knowledgeable.

And yes, although I don't always agree with you, DialH, I won't doubt you're knowledgeable and could put together a good, thought-provoking presentation.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2629
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What businesses? Honestly where am I gonna go (businesses)if I am parked ten block north of the stadium?

All these so called experts ignore the obvious.The issue is still perception of public safety.Intractable decay and abandoned bldgs make for a perception of being unsafe.This is a big reason why people prefer to park closer.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10141
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And frankly, I have.

Even enhanced with imbibing fluids...

...but when ya got it, ya got it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The issue is still perception of public safety.Intractable decay and abandoned bldgs make for a perception of being unsafe.This is a big reason why people prefer to park closer."

Citylover, you could have charged everyone $15 bucks a head for that information. Get with the game, man!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4922
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CL get off the pipe crime is not a super major factor like it was when you helped contribute to it...

Stay in the saftey of AA ok?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always did find the fact that there were two blocks of parking between Woodward and Comerica Park annoying. Would it have been better if the ball park fronted Woodward? Now that it is the way it is, think Ilitch would allow something to be built that might block his view between his two properties?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1308
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good place for an Applebee's or Olive Garden.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2275
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or a strip mall with a dollar store.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wireless Toyz!!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9802
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_S. You are so very sadly mistaken. Most people I have talked to still perceive Detroit to be very dangerous. I have to talk to them and CONVINCE them that Detroit is dangerous but only in certain areas.
Turn on the news and you hear of killings almost daily. These people see this and paint the entire city of Detroit that way.
Remember that these people are coming from areas OUTSIDE of Detroit where falling down buildings, deserted streets, and plenty of bums are not an every day sight.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but Detroit will never be a real city until we get an Olive Garden. Their minestrone is the best.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat,

You don't talk to very many people. I talk to a very large number of people, and Detroit is no longer dangerous. Sorry.

The big problem with downtown retail is that downtown is not a competitive retail location, that's all. Put differently: if you are going to go shopping, you would not consider going downtown. The City could change that, but I bet anyone here a billion dollars that they don't. The City government thinks it's 1925; that's been the problem since, well, since it actually was 1925.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.