Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Suburban firms moving downtown » Archive through September 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 271
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070912/COL06/7 09120417

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10115
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"It's a real community taking shape down here. We'll be part of the new creative corridor,"

I like this Petroff fellow already.

The outreach from the Ilitch group AND Compuware was great. Truly great. What a good story to start the day with!

Cheers.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep em coming

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2353
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good news!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1456
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoo-rah!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6498
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY DETROIT!!!

More businesses, more jobs in Downtown Detroit. Come suburban businesses. Come to Detroit. That's is where the action is. we want your investment dollars in our pockets.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"By the end of this year when the moves are expected to be complete, the building's office space will be fully leased."

Wow. And some people said the decision to build one-Kennedy was a poor one given the downtown office market. I hope they are getting decent $$$/sq. ft. If they are, I don't see how anyone can call it a bad decision.

"developers are said to be close to a deal with a high-end restaurant for one"

Hmmm. I wonder what it will be. Detroit already has a fair amount of "high-end" restaurants...now downtown just needs a Chili's or something...some kind of family restaurant to keep families down there for another hour or two after a game, or a familiar option to visitors and workers downtown...

(Message edited by thejesus on September 12, 2007)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent news!!

Lowereast
Username: Lowereast

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has made my morning :-)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 877
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, great for Detroit and all...on the flip side...what happens to the suburbs and peoples jobs when they move to Detroit. Do people move with the company or do they lose their jobs? Maybe they had a short commute and now must commute to the city? Isnt that what a lot of people bitch about, long commutes to work? Now this will be the same but in the opposite direction? Its ok though cause it benefits Detroit. hhhmmmmmmmmm.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2077
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^that post is so retarded I don't know where to begin...

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 327
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus,

downtown doesn't need a Chili's. If people want the same thing they can get anywhere else they can find that on umpteen mile and whatever. Downtown needs to stay a destination where you can find attractions and dining options you can't find anywhere else in the area. If downtown goes the chain route, at least make sure they are higher end, novelty chains like Ruth Chris or something of that nature. Preferably, it would be locally owned and not corporate, but you can't win them all.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo:

except successful downtowns aren't built around that model...people like familiarity...and downtown workers don't want to have break their bank by eating at a high-end restaurant every day...

a good mix of mid-priced familiar chains and some higher end restaurants is a recipe for success...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Familiar chains = bland food.

The Home Depot-ization of America is disgusting.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^that post is so retarded I don't know where to begin...

I must agree.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 328
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus,

you mean to tell me there aren't moderately prices places for downtown office workers to eat?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10120
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with tj. I would not eat at a Chili's downtown but many would. A mix of independent and chains is important for a few reasons.

1. Chains bring credibility to many (Think about how many dollars stay in the city after events because of Hard Rock. I prefer the money stay here than go to a Chilis in the suburbs.)

2. Chains have the financial backing to weather harder times that locals usually don't so they offer more stability.

3. People in the US like chains. I don't know why people like them but Detroit has more than enough room to cater to people that like chains and people like me.

4. Chains indicate that businesses are deciding based strictly on the numbers without any good faith because of local ties, committement to the city, etc. Chains indicate a better economic climate is being met.

I think a 80/20 mix of local/chain would be great for downtown. I can't stand chains but I would happily welcome them to the greater downtown area.

(Message edited by jt1 on September 12, 2007)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 521
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reason number 138 why it is essential to get the voters to pass or increase the operating budget taxes for public transportation according to transit tax supporters.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2081
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you mean to tell me there aren't moderately prices places for downtown office workers to eat?"

Yes, there are....but read the article...the Marketing Associates CEO said that the response from his employees was very negative when he told them they were moving downtown...I'm not saying downtown needs to turn into the suburbs, but a little familiarly would be good and trying to replicate, to a certain extent, the things that have attracted business and their employees to the suburbs in the past would go a long way toward avoiding that type of response in the future and make these kinds of transitions more inviting

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt mind a chain restaurant or two as long as theyre inside of buildings and not stand alone suburban esque outfits that someone plops in a lot. It would benefit everyone, Other (chain) retail outlets would see the success and may be more inclined to put a location. All of this is coming from someone who worships slows (very much not a chain)

Jt1

Post Number: 10121
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Familiar chains = bland food.

The Home Depot-ization of America is disgusting.

I agree with you 100% but we need to accept a level of compromise. Chains are not a horrible thing when mixed with other local type places. All chains on the other hand is horrible.

Detroit is far, far away from chains taking over.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2082
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jt1:

exactly...people act like it's all or nothing; either you have to have all chains, or all local restaurants...

I say why not have a good mix of the two...maybe in 80 years people can raise concerns about chains taking over, but it's not happening in this lifetime...

El_jimbo

Post Number: 329
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1,

I agree, SOME chains work downtown. Hard Rock is NOT the same as Chili's. Hard Rock is a chain that is part restaurant part tourist destination. They are only found in select cities throughout the world. You won't find a Hard Rock in a mall parking lot like you would a chili's. That's what I meant by having certain chains that have a "destination" quality to them like a Hard Rock, a Planet Hollywood, or something of that effect. Are they tacky and not great food? Yes, but at least it still provides something for downtown that is totally unique from the rest of the metro area and becomes a draw for the people throughout the region to visit.

Jt1

Post Number: 10123
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The simple fact of the matter is that after events/games, etc the majority of the people get in their cars and leave. Some of that has to do with unfamiliarity.

If a Chili's gets a couple people to say "Let's stop for a beer and some food and let traffic die down" it brings in business, creates jobs and will fill vacant spaces.

If we get to the point that independents are pushed out over chains (like RO) then I will be the first one complaining. That just won't be happening in a long, long time.

I won't spend a penny at the chains but I will welcome them to the downtown area with open arms. The unfortunate truth is that many, many people would go to a Chili's but would go home before going somewhere like Beer Company. Sad but true.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recall there is supposed to be a high end steak house in the Book Cadillac. Does anybody know what that will be?

Jt1

Post Number: 10124
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, also great to hear about these firms moving downtown.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2316
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey great news. Those employees will be happy once they get used to it. I work by Bloomfield Hills right now, and I can tell you it is no fun as an employee to have nowhere to go at lunch, nowhere to meet up after work... Working in the city is where it's at.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2083
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I recall there is supposed to be a high end steak house in the Book Cadillac. Does anybody know what that will be?"

No but I've always assumed it will be a Morton's....they have a presence in SE Michigan - Troy and Southfield - and are located on the ground floors of towers...

Also, I remember reading that it will be a "national chain" steakhouse as opposed to a "high-end" steak house....could be both, but will definitely be a chain

Thejesus

Post Number: 2084
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL:

I agree...once they get used to it they will like waking up for work each day...

I work in Livonia 5 days a week but I also work downtown for part of two of those days two blocks from campus martius, and working downtwon is way better...there's nothing exciting about working in Livonia, and I assume the same is true of the other suburbs...

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news, the more the merrier.

If we have to have a chain, why not Smith and Wallensky's? Mmmmm..