Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Stories about helping out-of-towners « Previous Next »
Archive through September 13, 2007Dialh4hipster30 09-13-07  4:52 pm
Archive through September 14, 2007Jelk30 09-14-07  1:15 pm
Archive through September 14, 2007Susanarosa30 09-14-07  3:05 pm
Archive through September 14, 2007Waz30 09-14-07  4:27 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 397
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bananarama were kind of hot in the "Do they know it's Christmas" video.....so I guess that counts for something.

maybe it should be the Bangles v. Bananarama.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the Bangles V the Lions? LOL!

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what the...?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huey Lewis vs. A-Ha: Double blah! Two terrible, popular acts, but at least Lewis and company had some interesting early session work to their names, while A-Ha emerged full blown in their awfulness, and didn't have the sense to leave the scene after their unimaginably successful Grammy winning first LP "Hunting High and Low", containing the songs "Take on Me" and "The Sun Always Shines on T.V." The suckier: A-Ha

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11681
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love watching the evolution of threads. :-)

For the record, Bon Jovi rocks!

ps...I consider myself the Vanilla Ice of the forum. heh (Go white boy, go white boy, go!)

Quozl

Post Number: 1427
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BON JOVI SUX.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I happen to enjoy a little Huey and the News. Fore! was a decent album, and the little accapella bit on there was nice. Hip to be square I liked, Whole Lotta Lovin' was fun. Those videos were hilarious. Ah, it's all overproduced fodder, but so was most music of that time.

Quozl

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bon Jovi vs. Guns n' Roses: Guns n' Roses were so good when they first started, and the "Use Your Illusions" albums too long by half, but show an astounding degree of ambition for a genre of music that wasn't known for it. The bottom fell out at that point, though, once Izzy Stradlin left, beginning the steady sequence of departures that have left Axl to putter about in his hair piece and girdle, playing unbelievably bad live shows with a cobbled-together band of mercenaries, when he feels up to it. Bon Jovi, on the other hand, have been paeans to the consistency of mediocrity: they are what they are, and that's all that they are, and you know what you're getting, and that's all there is. I have to go with a band that once had big vision and ambition over the middle of the road rockers. The suckier: Bon Jovi.

(Message edited by quozl on September 14, 2007)

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goo Goo Dolls v. the Gin Blossoms

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add the Spin Doctors and you have 3 great bands!

Quozl

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motley Crue vs. Quiet Riot: This one is easy. It's frightening to remember that the first heavy metal record to top Billboard's charts was Quiet Riot's Metal Health. It's also frightening to consider that a metal band with a guitarist as bad as Mick Mars could rise to the commercial apex of this guitar-intensive genre. Quiet Riot were essentially one hit wonders (they sold plenty of copies of Condition Critical, the followup to Metal Health, but it's a blueprint of its predecessor, making it one hit spread over two discs, right down to the paired Slade covers, which are the best songs on both albums), while Motley Crue managed to offend over a long series of discs and tours and excesses and VH1 television shows. I started this paragraph thinking I was going to give the nod to Quiet Riot as the suckier band, but as I type, I think we've got to honor Motley Crue's long-term commitment to making bad music in public places, since Quiet Riot at least had the dignity to fall off the radar screen after their moment in the sun. The suckier: Motley Crue.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2326
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't you say that Motley Crue was Slade Lite?

Quozl

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I would. BTW, I liked Slade.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2457
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metallica vs. Megadeth: Metallica's original formation had Dave Mustaine in it, doing a lot of the writing. When they booted him out, he took some of the songs with him and changed them a bit, and formed Megadeth. Metallica managed to somehow find relevence again in the late 90's, after the heavy metal scene had already bit it, by cutting their hair and slowing down their music, with Megadeth slowly falling into obscurity with the rest of heavy metal. I give the point to Megadeth: They remained the true headbangers, and their music was more original. The sucker: Metallica

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2330
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, maybe Quiet Riot was Slade Lite, as well.

Amazing the influence that Slade had. I liked 'em too.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Megadeth's past two albums have been phenomenal. Saw them in concert in May--Dave is back and better than ever.

Also: An early member of Megadeth was one Kerry King, who left in 1984 to play guitar in the band he had formed with Jeff Hanneman three years earlier: Slayer.

In 1989 or so, Darrell Abbott auditioned for the open lead guitar slot in Megadeth. He was offered the gig, but would only take it if his brother Vinnie could play drums. Since Megadeth already had a drummer (former Mega-roadie Nick Menza), Darrell turned the offer down. He and Vinnie then started their own band, which they named Pantera.

Agreed--Metallica is far suckier, although the old (pre-black album) stuff is good.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Dan. The last Megadeth Album I heard was Youthanasia, and I thought they were still good at that point. I had already had enough Metallica by then. Megadeth's lineup seemed to change from album to album for awhile if I remember correctly. I think they finally settled on a lineup that stuck.

I'd say their best album was either Rust In Peace or Peace Sells...But Who's Buyin?

For Metallica, their best album was Ride The Lightning or Puppets.

Quozl

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, that is a fair observation JL.

Def Leppard vs. Metallica: Very tough as personnel in both bands have had some pretty hard knocks. St. Anger is so awful that it almost, almost, makes me want to take a slap at the Metallica, but, c'mon, who are we kidding, there's bad records, and then there's bad careers. Def Leppard has mastered the latter. The suckier: Def Leppard.

Quozl

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poor Dimebag Darrell, may he RIP.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2461
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Def Leppard vs. Anybody: The suckier: Def Leppard.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge,

Megadeth is still shifting lineups. Junior Ellefson left a few years ago, and had a bitter falling out with Mustaine. Jimmy DeGrasso was playing drums when Ellefson left, and Al Pitrelli (Trans-Siberian Orchestra and ex-Savatage) was on guitar.

Now, the lineup has Glen Drover on guitar, his brother Shawn on drums, and James Lomenzo (ex-White Lion) on bass.

I think the lineup you're thinking of is the one with Nick Menza and Marty Friedman on guitar. That version of the band lasted for over 10 years.

Youthanasia was a solid album, but then they started to get too commercial (remember, this is when Metallica had already sold out). Cryptic Writings was okay. Risk was sub-par at best.

Since then, though, The World Needs a Hero (2001) was quite respectable. The System Has Failed (2004) cranked it back to their 1980s form. The new disc, United Abominations, is very solid from what I've heard of it.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, maybe I'll check some of that new stuff out. I may have a thrash or two left in me.

Quozl

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prince and the Revolution vs. The Police: A very, very, very tough call: two great bands, both of which spawned really annoying and pretentious solo artists. I've got to stick it to Prince here, though, if only because the Police were more of a band, Sting's grandstanding notwithstanding, while the Revolution was more of a collection of very talented and worthy backing players (my cousin Lisa included). So with some chagrin, the suckier: Prince and the Revolution.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yer a Melvoin?

I've liked Melvoins since I saw one on the Woody Woodbury (sp?) TV show back a couple years ago. Bet jjaba knows that one. I'd give a jjaba-worthy prize to anybody who knew what it was without using a search engine.

But it's only one question, and you need to get at least 10 questions right for it to be jjaba-worthy.

And I don't have a jjaba-worthy prize anyway.

(Message edited by vic_doucette on September 14, 2007)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The Rezillos v. The Revillos

Essentially the same band and neither sucked so no contest.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5340
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread is the worst case of threadjacking ever... continue with your insanity!! :-)

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 368
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Susanarosa said:

"Okay, I'll admit, I liked that Dead on a Sunday song by Creed because at first I thought it was Alice in Chains."

You like Alice in Chains? You must be from Cunt-tucky too! Hi neighbor.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 849
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the c word is vile, isn't it?

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 850
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, even when not used in a derogatory manner, it still causes one to squinch up ones face and say to ones self, "ick".

Detroitrulez

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the "C word"? You mean "Creed" right? I agree they are vile....and from northern Flor-eye-da. Talentless no account pap.

Oh and Pam--while I agree that the Rezillos and Revillos were both great, I think there were big differences between the two. Fay Fife and the Revettes took a much more active roll in the Revillos, and had more of those quasi-girl group ballads that took things in a different direction at times...not that there was anything wrong with that.

Scuba Boy Bop-atcha.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2610
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh and Pam--while I agree that the Rezillos and Revillos were both great, I think there were big differences between the two. Fay Fife and the Revettes took a much more active roll in the Revillos, and had more of those quasi-girl group ballads that took things in a different direction at times...not that there was anything wrong with that.

Yes the Revs were less punk and more pop but I think the underlying attitudes were the same with both. And since the core members stayed the same I didn't think they qualified for one of Q's battle of the bands.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You like Alice in Chains? You must be from Cunt-tucky too! Hi neighbor.

Giggle.

Well played.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2782
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"jam my Kid Rock CD! Even though he is from a suburb of Detroit. He is still Motor City all the way!"

He's an embarrassment. As whacko as Ted is, I can tolerate him easier than KR.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2403
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo Oakmangirl. Bravo.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.