Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "The Wave" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe what you want...think what you will....say what you must; is "the wave" totally 1984...or what?

I am thinking...it is time to retire "the wave"; never again to be seen or instigated at the ballpark.

What say you?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like it...it's fun...especially at Michigan stadium...

I see no reason to get rid of it...

it's cool for little kids to see it for the first time as well...

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wish the Tigers would change the person who does the "sound effects" during the baseball games at Comerica Park. The stuff they play is beyond it's expiration date. John Fogerty's Centerfield, Queen's We Will Rock You are old and tiresome and generic.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1596
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the red wings are worse with their songs, i really hate the j geils at Commercial park

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in the bleachers at the Tigers game on Monday, and there was a large group of little kids to my left who kept trying to get the wave going. It was so cute! When it finally "took" and went all the way around the park, the look on their faces was priceless.
Sure, it's 80s, but they didn't know that, and it's fun.

Dannyv

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, It's probably the same person who does both locations. It's been so long since I've been to a Red Wing game, I wouldn't know.

I have no problem with the Wave and will raise my arms up as it goes thru. You're right Diehard, the kids deserve to experience the fun of the moment.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1952
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me, if anyone knows, what college is credited for starting the first wave? Although we in Ann Arbor like to take credit for many things, and the wave really looks neat when done in the Big House, I don't think Michigan was the first school to start it.
I heard that it was Stanford when they played at their old Stanford bowl. My nephew in Seattle claims he saw it first in Husky stadium at the University of Washington. I'm sure jjaba will credit Cass Tech.
What do YOU say?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A udience_wave

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember being at the UM football pep rally in front of the Cat Frat when some older guy was giving us the Wave instructions. I think that was '82 (though Wikipedia makes a case for '83.) The next day at the game we finally realized what he was talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A udience_wave

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 392
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we replace the wave with the moon?

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wave is yet another distraction from the main event. Baseball is the reason we go to the ballpark, right? To see a BASEBALL GAME?

The fans at Comerica Park ought to applaud themselves for being able to sit through an entire game in that oversized arcade.

I can't do it anymore.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock....
.....although on this (the dry) side of Washington we tend to not to give credit to the University of Washington for anything, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the Pacific Northleft who doesn't give credit to Rob Weller for creating the wave on October 31, 1981. Huskies won the game, too. Beat Stanford 42-31 (GO COUGS!)

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Few things piss me off more than trying to watch the game when the view gets obstructed by the tools that are more interested in flailing around than watching what they paid to see.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5328
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much ado about nothing... someone starts a tradition, and there's always someone there that wants to end it.

It would be like the Germans suddenly deciding that at Oktoberfest they WEREN'T going to lock arms and sway back and forth anymore with their liter of beer singing "ho-la-de-ree ho-la-de-roo".... like they've been doing for decades, if not centuries.

Unthinkable! :-(

The Macarena came and went... but the wave should be here to stay. In the sung words of Fiddler On The Roof..... "TRADITION!!!!"

Americans have so few traditions anymore in our Madison Avenue "for the moment" throwaway society...

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Wave is a NASCAR race starting tradition at MIS.

I had to laugh a few years ago at a pistons playoff game when the court action got so boring that folks started doing the wave. it went around the palace 5 or 6 times.

As to the game music at Red Wings and Tigers games, I'll volunteer to take over either position. I have been in charge of the game music and on ice announcing for De La Salle Varsity hockey since the program started 9 seasons ago. DLS has the only High School team (that I know of) with professional game music between whistles and during intermissions. running the music and/or announcing a Red Wings game has been a long time dream of mine.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite memories of Tiger Stadium was the wave, especially when the lower deck went clockwise and the upper deck went counter.

Yaktown

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite memories of Tiger Stadium was the wave, especially when the lower deck went clockwise and the upper deck went counter.

Yaktown

Post Number: 224
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the double-post. Lowell, delete one if you wish.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10173
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look into the 'X' on the upper righthand corner of your post...click it, and you can save Lowell some time and effort!

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chuckjav stated....

quote:

I am thinking...it is time to retire "the wave"; never again to be seen or instigated at the ballpark.

Good luck instituting that 'rule' with a bunch of 'sub-urban' drunken hillbillies at the ballpark!__go figure!

blksoul-atcha!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The stuff they play is beyond it's expiration date. John Fogerty's Centerfield, Queen's We Will Rock You are old and tiresome and generic.

Curious to know, what current songs, let's say from the past 10 years, would you replace them with?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty cool wave on youtube http://youtube.com/watch?v=cPK Ga2DsIs0

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 192
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, and here I thought you were talking about an old radio station. Talk about feeling clueless...

Crash67
Username: Crash67

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My biggest pet peeve is the "wave etiquette" you run into at the ballpark, or lack thereof. I always thought you did the wave in support of your team when they were up to bat! It's so annoying when some drunks try to start a wave when the Tigers' opponent has runners on base and is starting to rally!

Good thing the gum thing isn't as popular this year! I also love the Sheff hats @ the Copa ...

It's not too late Tigers ... let's grab the wildcard and put my two favorite teams in the playoffs ... my hometown Tribe and my adopted hometown Motor City Kitties!

Dannyv

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xd_brklyn, Good question. Wish I had a good answer for it. Let me think on it.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crash67....Thanks; this is what I am talking about, you are spot-on, with regard to The Wave.

Sure, kids love it...we all love kids; don't want to spoil their fun. The drunks, on the other hand, with their incessant coaxing and cajoling to start the wave or keep it going....Jimminy Christmas!

By the way....here is something I don't understand: why is it that a person can be arrested for drinking a beer, or being drunk in public - - - but - - - it's perfectly OK/legal at the ballpark?

Uncanny.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably because the ballpark is a private establishment with a liquor license.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of you may recall that when Comerica Park opened, the thought was that the Wave would retire because the seats don't entirely encompass the field. Would it actually make the "leap" from left center to right center, or vice versa? And that's just looking at the lower deck. The upper deck has an even larger expanse to traverse.

Of course the Wave was unnecessary for several years because the Tigers fielded so many crappy teams. But starting last year, the Wave returned in full force, making me believe it will be around for many years to come.

I have not participated in the Wave since probably 1987, but I don't find it a distraction. To Harpernottingham and others who find themselves inconvenienced by a second or two of hands and butts in front of their faces, then maybe it is time to watch the games from home.

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of watching games from home, I don't get this whole movement to make Rod Allen and Mario Impemba into celebrities. I know that's our society today, but boy ... talk about underwhelming announcers. Where have you gone, George Kell?

Oh, and then there's ol' Jimmy Price on the radio.
Why they give him two innings of play-by-play is beyond me. Nice guy and all, but wow ... he's got a mouf full o' marbles.

I like when Dan Dickerson pronounces a tough name correctly -- and repeatedly. Then as soon as Price gets a hold of it ... it's like he isn't even listening to Dickerson.

Maybe he's got marbles in 'is ears, too.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am delighted by Harpernottingham's post. Price's refusal to show a guy some respect and learn to say his name correctly is absolutely nauseating, especially given Dickerson's habit of carefully, and repeatedly, pronouncing guys' names correctly. It actually seems as though Blockhead Price has made up his mind about how he is going to say a name, and he's going to say it that way whether it's right or wrong. The moment that really slayed me occurred recently, when the tiresome dolt actually had the audacity to brag about Jair Jurrjens' pleased reaction to hearing him say "Jair" correctly, and then spent the next hour of the game calling the kid "Jergens."
As for The Wave, I know it's just innocent fun, and that I shouldn't get so huffy about things, but I can hardly believe that, as "played out" as I would think it would, by now, be, apparently it is not. On top of that, even some of the "grown-ups" react to it like it's the most fun they've had in years...

Yaktown

Post Number: 225
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Total threadjack by Harper but that's OK by me. I never knew there was a movement to make Rod and Mario into celebs, please explain. I just see them as the two local guys calling the game. No worse than George and Al I guess. I've certainly heard worse! (listen to the ChiSox guys)

As for the radio, I think Dan Dickerson is really good. Jim Price sucks, pure and simple. Get him out of the booth post haste. Failing that, he needs to stop pimping out his retard kid. What's a Zubor indeed?!

Harpernottingham

Post Number: 264
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, sorry about the thread-jack.
Price got me all rankled.

: )

Joelle Samaya
Magglio Donez
Nate Robinson
Jy-Air Jergens

Oy.

As for Rod and Mario, FSN is just promoting them as if they were a marketable commodity. Oh, for the days of George, Al, and Eli on WDIV.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.