Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Are There Any Chadsey Explorers Out There? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Grandpamike
Username: Grandpamike

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from Chadsey High School in 1958. Chadsey is in SW Detroit. Our class will have its 50-year reunion on Sept. 29, 2008 at the Burton Manor in Livonia. The Class of 1957 is having its reunion on Sept. 19 of this year at Weber's in Ann Arbor. Chadsey has always been in a blue collar neighborhood. I always tell people that when I went there, the school was 49% Polish, 49% African-American, and 2% others...and that wasn't far from the truth. Nowadays the school is really a melting pot with many different nationalities represented. Are there any other Explorers out there?

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chadsey High graduate - 1972. Have a great reunion!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mad-Props to Chadsey High School; always had outstanding track and field athletes.
Chadsey, as previously mentioned, seemed to maintain a healthy balance in terms of black folks, white folks, and our Latino friends.

How did they do that?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a Chadsey grad, But the son of two. Both of my parents graduated from the BIG C H. C/O 1960 and 1961

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chadsey is a great, diverse school that makes an effort to make all students feel welcome and prepared to learn. They provide translators for assemblies, have integrated ESL programs that mainstream students in with all the other students and as of 2003 (haven't been in the school since), there were not a lot of ethnic/group conflicts. I am so glad they decided to keep it open and continue the legacy instead of sending students out of the neighborhood.

Ticub
Username: Ticub

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandpamike and I both graduated in the same class, and I have nothing but fond memories of the school and neighborhood. I've had no contact with anybody from my college years, but I still have almost daily contact with seven people from Chadsey. That to me says a lot.

Grandpamike

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But what is going on with the football team? The Explorers have played four games, and still have not scored a point!!! When I was there (late 50s), the team played on a dirt field behind the school that was known as the "dust bowl". When it rained it became the "mud bowl".

Grandpamike

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the dates reversed for the reunions.
They should be:
Class of 1957: September 29, 2007
Class of 1958: September 19, 2008

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.