Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Suburban firms moving downtown » Archive through September 12, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds wonderful!

Does Detroit currently have HOV lanes on the 96, 75, 94, or M-10?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10125
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does Detroit currently have HOV lanes on the 96, 75, 94, or M-10?

No

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 721
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOV lanes, and other options, should be explored proactively in anticipation of increased vehicles on the freeways.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would love to work downtown, but i know many of my co-workers would not. i'm adventurous and like to support individual businesses but many people need familiarity and reliability.

i'm surprised to see thejesus and jt1 agreeing!

Classico
Username: Classico

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cleo,

You mean like what the suburbs have been doing to the city for a little over 40 years now? Life's a bitch when things come full circle eh?

I thought you were completely detached from city/suburb nuances anyhow in your "Save a horse, ride a Cowboy" utopia. Why worry?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great. Hopefully, the higher occupancy rates will translate into increased rents. Detroit needs increased rents for two reasons:

1. To stimulate new development that is currently not feasible from a financial perspective
2. Generate tax revenue for the City of Detroit.

Eventually, though, there are only going to be so many places to park cars. Time to get started on that commuter rail system....

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 878
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHo said I was worrying? I simply asked a question..wondered what the people this is effecting really think about it vrs the joy people here have about it.

Maybe they dont want a longer commute. Maybe they cant afford the extra gas this is going to make them buy. Maybe they wont have any extra money to have lunch out. Maybe they moved to the burbs to get away from the city and are now being forced back by their employer.

I was always told, the only dumb question is the one you dont ask. No need to be rude because you cant see or dont want to see that those effected by this might not share your joy.

Jt1

Post Number: 10130
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe they dont want a longer commute. Maybe they cant afford the extra gas this is going to make them buy. Maybe they wont have any extra money to have lunch out. Maybe they moved to the burbs to get away from the city and are now being forced back by their employer.

So you are only looking at it from the perspective of people that live in the burbs? How about those of us that live in the city whose jobs move further away?

Crying for one crowd doesn't paint a very fair picture now does it?

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 937
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people actually work in the suburb in which they live? From what I remember the percentage is rather low for most metropolitan areas.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe they dont want a longer commute. Maybe they cant afford the extra gas this is going to make them buy. Maybe they wont have any extra money to have lunch out.

Like Classico said, this is what the burbs have been doing to the city for 40 years now, and the burbs didn't cry for the city when it was bleeding jobs. When I was working for EDS years ago (in Troy), I spent wasted sooo much money on gas every week parked on I-75. It just makes more sense for more of these firms to be centrally located, than scattered all over the region.

Jt1

Post Number: 10131
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How many people actually work in the suburb in which they live?

very few. I am curious why Cleo doesn't get teary eyed on the threads about firms leaving Detroit.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

quote:

How many people actually work in the suburb in which they live?

very few. I am curious why Cleo doesn't get teary eyed on the threads about firms leaving Detroit.

i live in farmington and work 2 miles away in farmington hills. have you seen any numbers on this, Jt1, or is it just speculation?

and like i mentioned, i would love to work downtown - i would move to detroit if i worked there.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 879
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you are only looking at it from the perspective of people that live in the burbs?
------------------------------ -------------

I guess kind of like you are only looking at it from the perspective of the city huh?

I dont know why you have to turn this into a us vrs them thing. I asked a simple question and instead of getting any answers at all I get is childish *well the burbs have done it to the city for years* kind of crap. Shows me how one-sided and hypocritical some of you are.

Jt1

Post Number: 10133
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have the numbers but they have been posted in the past.

Did they come out in a SEMCOG transit study.

Consider me very jealous of your commute.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo:

I agree, people on this board are way too quick with the us v. them thing, and I wish they wouldn't do that....but you actually started it

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 880
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt start anything, I asked a question. A pretty darn neutral one since I dont live in the city or the burbs.

(Message edited by miss cleo on September 12, 2007)

Cgunn
Username: Cgunn

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to City-Data.com

Mean travel time to work (in minutes):

Chicago: 35.2
Detroit: 28.4
New York: 40.0
LA : 29.6
Houston: 27.4
Philly : 32
Phoenix: 26.1

Farmington Hills : 26
Troy, MI : 24.5
Ann Arbor : 18.8
Southfield : 24.7

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4921
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You asked a loaded question...

....different animal entirely...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2319
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said, working in a city is far more enjoyable. I absolutely loved working in downtown Royal Oak. Chances are commutes won't increase that much more people. If they do, and people find they live to far from work, they will do what all of us have been doing for hundreds of years, move closer to work! Nothing new there. I think they're going to be very happy. A nice office with a beautiful view of downtown, festivals going on around you, a myriad of lunch and after work entertainment and dining options. A feeling of being connected. There is something about driving to work and seeing the skyline slowly creeping up ahead that makes you feel like you are doing what people had done for many many years: heading downtown to go to work.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3664
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news indeed. Nice to be able to know one office building, though small, is completely occupied, and especially to know that this seemingly rushed and unneccesary building is being utilized. This is more than musical office chairs downtown.

Regarding chain restaurants, a few would be okay in certain downtown locations. Obviously I wouldn't take any measures to prohibit them, that would be insane, but there's no reason to market a space or create an incentive that will reward a chain over something else, on the other hand. Whoever said that they add some credibility and stability was right. And it's not as if you're gonna get the standard mall parking lot fare like Long John Silvers and Red Robin; as long as its not overbearing or tacky, chains are fine...nobody has to go to one if they don't want to.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news for downtown, and glad to see it, however, I do wish the growth came from outside the region. That would be a much better sign of health than shifting the "pie" of current companies around the metro area.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digital Visoion:

I agree, it would be better if the companies came from outside the region, but centralizing everything is what leads to companies coming from outside the region

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ True, but a strong vibrant Detroit business district will do wonders for attracting new businesses from outside the region. So all in all, a net plus.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 344
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe they cant afford the extra gas this is going to make them buy."

It's costly to gas up the Hummer. Seriously, though, commutes seem heavy to me all over the metro area, so I don't foresee a huge impact on the suburbs- many people have lengthy intra-suburb commutes. Don't fret, Cleo, I don't think your neighbors will leave you just yet; people here *like* to drive! What exactly are the stats on commuting paths here (not just minutes)?

Maybe we'll see people inch back toward the city to live...two companies make a good beginning, so here's hoping!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2322
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, jinx to you TJ.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Cleo,

Nobody is holding a gun to their head. If they hate the commute that much they can always quit their job. Lord knows there are plenty of others who would be thrilled to have it.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reposting the same as was in Freep forum:

Detroit's roadways are going to be clogged badly with the approximately 140 additional cars to and from downtown during rush hour.

Here are 2 urgent recommendations that Detroit should implement immediately if it wishes to bank on such a positive trend:

1) HOV lanes - majority of metropolitans have them to discourage one-occupant vehicles.

2) Rapid transit - trains, monos, subways, LRTs ... whatever variation it may be, Detroit needs to optimize this second-chance to build a viable rapid transit solution along its major arteries (Woodward, Gratiot/Jefferson, Grand River, and etc.)

This is most certainly wonderful news and I wish Detroit the best in its revival effort.

(Message edited by darwinism on September 12, 2007)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darwinism...congrats on your evil post #666.

Jt1

Post Number: 10134
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo - Playing the innocent victim is non-sense.

You posted a loaded question with a snarky little comment at the end.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2329
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleo is just stirring the pot again. Companies move all the time. It is not something to start contraversy about. If they moved from Bloomfield Hills to St. Claire, nobody would say boo, though it would be the same distance or more. Shush, this non-issue.