Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cooley Cardinals - Your Turn to Shout « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooley High; Hubbell and Fenkell - awesome neighborhood and one of the most glorious looking high schools of all-time.

If you're ever in Jackson - scope out Jackson High School; must have been designed by the same architect.

Anyhoo......

Cooley Cardinals - Talk it Up !

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuckjav,

You are right, it was a beautiful place in the 50's with a group of great kids. Some graduates in that period have gone on to significant recognition in their field of endeavour; more than one would expect from a school of its size.

Many of us remember some very dedicated and caring teachers and staff of the time as well. Every department had standout qualities. I look back with great memories of the four years i was fortunate enough to be there in the late 50's.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Proud Cardinal Teacher here! The auditorium is one of the most beautiful in the city. Fashioned after the Fox. If you ever get a chance to get up close to the outside of the building, look at the awesome detail.

We are at about 2500 strong right now. Not enough teachers but we are hanging in there. If you'd like a COOLEY CARDINAL car flag (the kind that go on the windows and hang outside) please contact the band director. We are having a fundraiser. They are 10.00 each. You can call the school and as for the band director at 313-866-9400.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitTeacher....I would love a Cooley Cardinals window flag; wish I had one for each of the old-school twenty-two Detroit Public High Schools - that would be a very fine collection.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Former student 1969-71 here. Ok, it was a turbulent time, but I have some fond memories too.
Made lot's of friends and had some great teachers as well. Ms Hollowell & Mr Como to name a couple.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes....turbulent times.

I wrote my thesis on Detroit and the public schools, 1920-1980; a couple of my research partners were Cooley students (one from the mid-50s, the other from the late 60s).

I understand that Cooley was not a good place to be in the days following the assassination of Dr. MLK Jr.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooley Cardinal here, kinda.

I attended Cooley from November 1972 to June 1973, great memories indeed.

River_rat

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,
Interesting about raising money for the band. In the 50's, the Music Department at Cooley was superb and had two concerts annually and sold out the auditorium for a total of four nights (and not just to parents!). This brought in large amounts of money for projects.

Memorable teachers were Koerper, Aptekar, Schaef, Lenz. They brought out the very best in the kids. In the middle 50's a Hollywood movie company came to the school and made a very professional film of one of the shows that was shown around the country as an example of high school performances.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of National headlines for Cooley High....there was a fellow by the name of Bill Jennison who swam for the Cardinals in the early 1960s. Jenninson set a US High School Record in the 100-yard butterfly, at the 1963 State Championships

Shirlselects
Username: Shirlselects

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River rat,

My husband was in the band in the early 50's and he remembers all those teachers. Were you there at that time?

He has great memories of playing at U of M at half time. He was also in the chorus and remembers being in Brigadoon. There is a reunion next year that we might go to.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River: We don't have performances anymore. Attendance was so low that they stopped having them years ago. They make more money selling t-shirts and flags. They also sold Cooley bumper stickers for a bit.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 479
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a Cardinal, but want to give a shout out for my cousin who played in 88' when they stunned SouthWestern for the state title. C-O-O-L-E-Y, COOOOOOOOOLEEEEY COOOOOOOOOOLEEEEEEEY COOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEEEEEEEEEY HIIIIIIIIGH.

<313>

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 256
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 313...all props to the '88 Cardinals, they stuck it to the mighty Prospectors for REAL.

But do you remember the '82 team with Roy Tarpley and about three others who made all city that year, when they lost to HW Bishop Gallagher? The game was at Calihan Hall, BG didn't have anybody on the team taller than about 6'2", but they outplayed the Cardinals from the opening tip. In fact, the kid who jumped against Tarpley in the opening tip was only about 5'11", but he outjumped Tarpley. It was a BIG upset.

River_rat

Post Number: 298
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rat was there in the late 50's and band day at U of M stadium was the band highlight of the year.

Detroitteacher -- why did attendance decline so much? Crime in the area? Lack of interest? The concerts were such a staple of the school from the end of WWII through at least 1965, it would be interesting to know the etiology of the decline and demise of such a school institution.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that parents just aren't that interested anymore. We don't get any type of decent turnout for parent teacher conferences, games, or anything else. We never have any programs at night...I was told it was a safety issue.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4934
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know the title of the Hollywood film made about their band performances?

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cooley grad here Jan 61. 2 vivid sports memories. When I was a freshman in 57 Cooley was the defending public school baseball team. Star pitcher-Milt Pappas. If I remember correctly he went straight to the bigs from high school. Other memory. Goodfellows game-Briggs Stadium against St Ambrose. Cooley star player-Doug Roberts. This game was suppose to be a laugher. Little parochial them againt bad ass Cooley. Somebody forgot to tell St Ambrose. This was either 1957 or 58. I think you could count the # of Jewish students at Cooley on 1 hand; they all went to Mumford or Oak Park H S.

River_rat

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditman,

You are correct about Milt Pappas; went right to Baltimore Orioles and stayed in the majors about a decade. Cooley had a large number of grads from the late 50's who went on to some note.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Names frm Cooley's past in my era-01/57-01/61: Baseball coach-Abe Eliowitz(sic), football-Roger Parmenter(sic), Mr Lindsay-swimming, Claude Snary-track(he fell off a ladder at his home & died in 57 or 58 I think). I stand corrected about the # of Jews at Cooley. I forgot about coach Abe & Mr Aptekar. My counseler-Harvey Chapman. Now ask me what I had for lunch yesterday!

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 888
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very proud graduate of the Cooley High School Class of 1985.

Six hundred & seventy five (675) of us walked across that stage to receive our diplomas in June 10, 1985 at the glorious Ford Auditorium.

We were the largest graduating class of the Detroit Public Schools that year!

Check us out: www.cooleyclassof85.com

Chuckjav

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just thinking about the tremendous pressure that must be on Cooley and Cody right now, what with the closing of Mackenzie & Redford.

Detroitteacher tells us that there are 2500 students at Cooley this year; anyone happen to know the current population numbers for Cody?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.