Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » "Downtown Detroit businesses open, expand" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News is sensing a trend.

http://tinyurl.com/2eaoby

< <
"Detroit is filling up with interesting, creative young people -- not all of them want to live in a hovel. It's probably time to start giving Detroiters more credit." Ryan Cooley said.

The Cooleys are not alone in either their outlook or their efforts.

They're among a small number of business owners in or near downtown who continue to show great faith in the city by opening or expanding businesses, despite the dismal economy.

It's visible at places like Park Bar and Bucharest Grill in the emerging tavern district along Park Avenue. It can be seen in Midtown with the opening of the Bureau of Urban Living, a home-goods boutique, and the planned expansion of Avalon International Breads bakery. Then there's Mezzanine, a contemporary design store on Broadway, and Asian Village, a food and entertainment venue on the riverfront just east of the Renaissance Center.
> >

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice again!

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a lovely fluff piece. Can't wait til they go back to all the negative stories they're used to publishing.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously Matt? The News has consistently better coverage of positive goings-on in the city.

You seem to be buying into the notion that "real" news has to be negative. Smile, sunshine! Writing about trends is real news! Maybe they will write about your trend sometime too!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 851
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh, I know over half of those people! The Cooley's are awesome people and are key young people who WILL make a nice dent in this City.

While I think these people are brave, they definitely know what they are doing and I am grateful to know them as people but also energize my own passion for our city and neighborhood! Now, if we could just bottle that energy and sell it!!!

Keep it up, people. These are the businesses and people who will motivate this city in the right direction!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is interesting that the News seems fairly sympathetic sometimes. A soft spot for small entrepreneurs lurks in their laissez-faire little hearts.

This talk of a "tavern district" has gotta be good. Park Ave. is close to new housing. It's close to areas suburban visitors feel familiar with. Yet it has that slightly hidden quality that makes for special allure.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 581
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOU NOT SO MUCH!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess unless it all happens at once and overnight, somebody's always gonna bitch.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great piece with some good comments. Its proof that positive energy creates more of itself. Negative unfortunately does the same. Some of the posters here should learn from that.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, maybe they will write and article about your trend too.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2110
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the deal with the orange house? is that to do with the group of people I've heard about who go around painting abandoned house bright colors so the city will tear them down? and does that actually work?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10158
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is supposed to bring attention to the houses. I don't know if it has achieved anything.

Seems to me that their efforts may be better used to help paint occupied, aging houses in intact neighborhoods. I'm sure that there are a lot of seniors/handicapped people that could use the assistance.

Bussey

Post Number: 583
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather have the abandoned ones torn down.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather see abandoned buildings secured and saved as not to destroy the urban fabric of Detroit. A painting event like you suggested Jt1 exists in Bay City its called Paint and Pride and has been very popular as a community project.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2183
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm, yeah it'd be good to have the houses torn down, but since the city considers the painting of these houses trespassing and vandalism (!), I'm pretty sure the city would threaten a lot stiffer penalty if vigilante demolitions started taking place.

Some lovely photographs of the houses in Object Orange are for sale in some gallery in the 'burbs. They really are nicely done and apparently money raised from their sale is used for ... something socially redeeming, I don't remember exactly.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, where was the fourth photo taken (the row of brick buildings)?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of painting empty buildings. Why is that one story crumbling building at John R and I94 painted beige? What the hell is the point the building is about to fall on itself.

Michigan

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this is the type of organic, grass roots economic growth people want in Detroit. So why would anyone complain about an article reporting on it. I am one big pain in the -ss on here sometimes, but even I know when I see a good thing.

Nice weekend all.

(Message edited by michigan on September 14, 2007)

Bussey

Post Number: 584
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that this article was a good thing and does indicate positive changes but when the bucket is so big a small drop like the Bureau Of Urban Living and Slows only ripples so much against the downspout that has spent out places such as Joe Muers, Lillys, Grande Ballroom, Eastown Theater, Lindell AC, Brightmoor and St. Cyril's entire neighborhoods, Euclid Ave, Olympia, Detroit Boat Club, etc etc etc...

It's a big bucket to fill and we are still losing water in spite of the small trickles.

We need Granholm or someone to stop allowing uncontrolled growth at the fringes so we can stop wasting MILLIONS upgrading expressways that simply traverse huge swaths of low-density blight to connect the pockets of prosperity that exist in the area today. i.e The Lodge in between farmington and Southfield and Detroit.

How long is it going to be before we need to reconstruct the M-5 Connector or M-59?

WASTED TAXES = SPRAWL

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, the "research and editing" people do such a fine job at The Detroit News, and placed Cliff Bells and Park Bar on the wrong side of Woodward....lol.

Doesn't anyone that works there have a clue how to read a map?? This happens with just about EVERY article that is published about downtown.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God, talk about a threadjack ...

Bussey, take a chill pill. All the stuff you are referencing happened over years and years. And now there is some movement in the other direction. Be anti-sprawl all you want but I don't think it diminishes the importance of the trend discussed in this article.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on September 14, 2007)

Margdar
Username: Margdar

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the people who have BEEN living in Detroit? Not the new, creative, young people who just moved here recently. What will these developments do for those who have stayed in Detroit through thick and thin? What will WE do for them? This is not a criticism of new developments because they are necessary, of course, but moreso a reminder that there is a population (however small) that lived/lives in "hovel"-esque Detroit before people with means came along to spruce it up for their own use. Lest we forget them, let us take care to address the needs of the community that has stayed loyal to Detroit after all these years. It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement of positive trends driven by the 'haves' and I worry that through all this the 'have-nots' will continue to be ignored.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9817
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more businesses move to the city the better it will be for everyone, eventually. It sure isn't going to happen over night.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2451
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"that simply traverse huge swaths of low-density blight to connect the pockets of prosperity that exist in the area today. i.e The Lodge in between farmington and Southfield and Detroit."

Don't let Sam Bernstein hear you say that!

Michigan

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, do you know what the little old woman said who peed in the ocean? "Every little bit helps"

Bussey

Post Number: 585
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margdar,

Detroit has been caring for the needs of these mendicants for too long and is a part of the reason why it is the way it is today.

Do you see the plethora of shelters in Birmingham like you do @ the corner of MLK Blvd and Third?

NO

Detroit has been SE Michigan's armpit for long enough. The people who are here now are either

A)Very loyal

or

B)Too poor to move out

The people who don't fit into category B will be able to benefit from this new, supposed 'wave' of wealthy transients - I still don't see it really amounting to an actual wave, maybe a splash.

Those in category B who have "stayed loyal to Detroit after all these years" can have their needs addressed by places like Canton, Macomb Twp, Birmingham or Novi. I'm sick of Detroit fitting the bill.

After living in Detroit for over five years my father, who lives in Macomb Twp, finally realized why Detroit has so many more homeless than his neighborhood. His neighborhood has NO homeless shelters AT ALL!!!

Amazing what a free hot and cot can do to attract the supplicating masses.

Margdar

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see your point, Bussey. After so many years of dealing with "undesirables" the more forward thinking people of Detroit must be exhausted and discouraged. But then clearly, Detroit (or most places for that matter) has not been addressing the needs of the poor; just creating a system of dependency. With so many creative minds, surely we can/should/must think of a better solution than hoping they'll go away...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2456
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pay them to keep the city clean.

Bussey

Post Number: 586
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margdar,

You "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door."

Emerson was referring to Capitalism and this is the source of your argument not Detroit or gentrification.

Some people do have it tough and are suffering from bad luck or sorry predicaments or a rough economy but a majority are either lazy, ignorant, addicted or flat out just don't care and choose to live as they do, and for them I feel no compassion .

The world is a mean and heartless place sometimes and I only wish I could spend my days helping out others but if no one is there to help me then how can I do so?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2186
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margdar, you clearly do not live in the city of Detroit. How about YOU come on down and develop a "creative" way to make life better for the "have nots"? This armchair imploring for somebody else to do something is pretty annoying.

Before Detroit was a city of have nots, it was a city of everyone. This is simply a newer manifestation of that.

I suppose instead of these kinds of businesses opening you'd rather see the city remain of the poor and for the poor? The city is big enough for everyone.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10194
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Once again, the "research and editing" people do such a fine job at The Detroit News, and placed Cliff Bells and Park Bar on the wrong side of Woodward....lol.

Doesn't anyone that works there have a clue how to read a map?? This happens with just about EVERY article that is published about downtown.

I don't see that on the map, MCDave. Wonder if they edited it, or were you forgetting how the streets start to condense on the way into the hub of the wheel spokes.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What about the people who have BEEN living in Detroit? Not the new, creative, young people who just moved here recently. What will these developments do for those who have stayed in Detroit through thick and thin? What will WE do for them? This is not a criticism of new developments because they are necessary, of course, but moreso a reminder that there is a population (however small) that lived/lives in "hovel"-esque Detroit before people with means came along to spruce it up for their own use. Lest we forget them, let us take care to address the needs of the community that has stayed loyal to Detroit after all these years. It is so easy to get caught up in the excitement of positive trends driven by the 'haves' and I worry that through all this the 'have-nots' will continue to be ignored.

Margdar,

You have some nerve to come on this forum and post sanctimonious criticism about new development in the city. These new businesses are offering goods and services that have been unavailable to Detroiters for many years.

How dare you accuse us Detroiters of ignoring the needs of the "have-nots" just because we have recently added a few businesses that offer the same kind of goods and services that are common in the suburbs?

Detroit has more homeless shelters, soup kitchens, free clinics, and every other type of free social services than any other place in the state. As a result of our generosity, Detroit residents (especially in downtown and midtown) have to deal with these degenerates on a daily basis.

quote:

After so many years of dealing with "undesirables" the more forward thinking people of Detroit must be exhausted and discouraged. But then clearly, Detroit (or most places for that matter) has not been addressing the needs of the poor; just creating a system of dependency. With so many creative minds, surely we can/should/must think of a better solution than hoping they'll go away...

After years of dealing with undesirables, many of us Detroiters would simply like to purchase lamps and bedsheets from a store in the city without some asshole trying to make us feel guilty about it.

Margdar

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hipster, I do live in the city of Detroit. Thanks though. I am not imploring "someone else" do this. I am imploring US to do something. Myself included. Hence the reason I described this as something WE tackle. And no, of course I'd rather not see the city remain the same. Had you bothered to read my OP you would've seen that I am not against new developments but rather than focus solely on things to improve the lives of the people the city is trying to attract I think it's important to remember there are people in this city whom no one if trying to attract. My concerns are for them, why they are stuck, how they can be helped, if at all. If I am alone on that on this forum then so be it. I will rally troops elsewhere.

Perhaps it is too soon to bring up the needs of the poor/struggling? Maybe right now we need to focus only on improvements that will drive the economy. Maybe I'm totally out of line...but if not now then when? No one wants to hear these ugly reminders but I think we need to. We need to care more. Some people have already made up their minds to stop worrying about the poor. I haven't. Call me naive, call me what you will...

Erik, Why you took this as an attack against Detroiters or their desire to open businesses is a bit confusing to me. How a criticism against a system of dependency created by shelters, soup kitchens etc is a criticism on the residents and business owners of Detroit is not something I am following. I dare say these people are being ignored because it is true. You chose to aim that criticism at Detroiters, not me. As I said before, I am not against new developments, I'm all about that. It is necessary, it is good, agreed. But is it so horrible to be wary and/or concerned?

I suppose then you and many others feel you do not need to be reminded of the at-risk population. They are all too prominent. Am I understanding correctly? So, does that mean you don't need to be reminded or you don't want to be reminded?

Not once have I accused Detroiters (as a group) of ignoring the needs of the "have-nots". It is an inept system that has failed them. And living on Capitol Park, I am very familiar with the "degenerates" you describe. As I have to "deal with" them on a daily basis. Not really sure what that means exactly...but I'll go with it so you see I'm not some random person with no actual connections to the city.

Also, another huge issue here seems to be that you (Bussey, this means you) have lumped the poor; homeless, addicts, victims of a bad economy, the lazy, the unlucky, into one category. By deciding that the majority of poor people we are discussing are the "bad" kind, it seems to me then that it doesn't matter whether someone is a lazy crackhead or a hard working person without more than a high school diploma who can't get ahead,you are equally uninterested in their needs and they are equally unworthy of your time or compassion. This can't be true though. You must at least want to help the "good" ones and punish the "bad" ones? My point is that it is a complex issue with varied disenfranchised groups having varied needs...would love to hear more thoughts on this.

hipster, I agree. The city is big enough for everyone. I hope to see it return to the days of being a city for everyone. This is my home too.

Johnlodge, Detroit does that already, right? But that's one good example. I don't have all the answers, I don't claim to. But that's why I'm asking questions...

Please continue to challenge. Dialogue is appreciated.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.