Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The problem with freeways « Previous Next »
Archive through September 15, 2007Tkshreve30 09-15-07  10:43 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am curious, who gets to decide what the flow of traffic is? Is it the fastest car on the road, the slowest car, or the majority of cars? I would think the majority of cars on the road would decide the flow of traffic. However, after reading various comments in this thread it appears that whoever is driving the fastest decides what the flow of traffic should be.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10227
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a bumper sticker in production that will say something like "If You Can Read This, I AM The Flow of Traffic".

I'm aiming to make the Type-As spontaneously combust...it's our only defense.

Just watch for the schrapnel.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6522
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with freeways? I can list them all:

1. It lures folks from the inner cities to the suburbs without looking the fine neighborhoods and retail stores.

2. When traffic jam looms it cause more pollution for more cars.

3. More construction means more traffic jams.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 910
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve: You claim there are only speed freaks and imbeciles on our expressways. Based on our posts you are truly an imbecile, and I'm sure a danger to all of the rest of us. Get your a__ over in the right lane and stay there. Better yet, drive the surface streets and and spare yourself all the angst. Once you get used to driving up there don't go back down in the ditches with he big boys and girls. Got it?

The real problem, as many of you have posted, is those imbeciles (probably Tk at the head of the pack), who screw up the flow of traffic by driving slowly in the left lane, making a point while also making everyone else pass them dangerously on the right.

The other problem is the ridiculous speed limits, which are only imposed to generate traffic fines and fees. The drivers should set the speed limits (they do anyway) with the faster ones in the left lane and the slower ones in the 2 (or 3) right/center lanes.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 162
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3wc

What makes you think from my postings that you have any idea of they way i drive? You bum...

Because i say people drive too aggressively?? Maybe you should learn the diff between aggressive and assertive. I get where i'm going just fine. Quite on time - all the time. And you claim I said only?.... re-read my points.

"The real problem, as many of you have posted, is us imbeciles (probably me {the man} at the head of the pack), who screw up the flow of traffic by driving erratic and aimlessly in all lanes, making up time, while also making everyone else dodge them or jam on their brakes."

^ Tidied that up for u bud

Gannon - I would buy that sticker btw.

Gannon

Post Number: 10237
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Market Research Report:

"If You Can Read This, I AM the Flow of Traffic"

Pro: 1

Con: 0

Thanks.

OK, how about the first one I ever burped up, and still my personal favorite:

"Watch Me NOT CARE How Fast You Want to Drive"

Remember, we're trying to make them spontaneously combust...

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 911
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tks: I'm a "bum?" Very creative.

Your "tidy" job is pathetic and wouldn't be improved much had you used proper grammar.

And, don't call me "bud."

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on September 16, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5353
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who purposefully like to drive slow in the fast lane should go and visit Germany sometime... and try driving in the fast lane on the German Autobahn...

It'll be the last day they're alive...

Gannon

Post Number: 10238
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...but it'll be one helluva ride until that end.

(learning the hard way what the Doppler effect does to headlights and horns)

Gps
Username: Gps

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigander's are by far the worst drivers in the nation, or at least the states that i've driven in. Many drivers around Detroit pass on the right even if the left is open. I really think people around there don't even realize that it's not the correct way to pass.

85 in a 55 MPH zone is wreckless driving, add passing on the right to that and there is huge potential for an accident.

On the Autobahn drivers generally do not pass on the right, and there are speed limits in windy and heavily driven areas.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5355
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, on the Autobahn people practically NEVER pass on the right. It's strictly forbidden. But people do get out of the left lane, especially with a Porche or Mercedes coming up from the rear at 120 MPH. And yes, there are speed limits in certain areas.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it there is ZERO accountability when driving on the freeways within and just around Detroit's border??

Because the Detroit City Council it elected At Large

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 52
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I do agree with some of the observations posted, I don't agree with singling out SUV drivers for a "renegade" mentality because they're driving larger vehicles.

The drivers that make me the most nervous are the motorcycles (generally "crotch-rockets") that I often see weaving in and out of lanes, going easily faster than 80 mph. They are not in safer vehicles, in fact are more exposed, and still race on like they're on a track.

Now, do not take this as a slam on motorcyclists as my fiance has a motorcycle and I love riding along. But he never takes the chances I see these drivers taking. It would be so easy for someone to merge into a lane as one of these motorcycles is zooming along and cause a horrible accident.

Lefty2

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

like, dude, man, you haven't driven in LA dude.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3wc, I totally agree man with you and Ludacris slow drivers have no place in the passing lanes or on the freeways for that matter.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Also, ONLY State Police give out tickets on Detroit freeways. I've been pulled over 3 times (being a leadfoot) by Detroit cops, and each time they just said to slow down and not give me a ticket."

Not true. I got busted by a Detroit cop on I-75 and got a ticket. I must've been the most unlucky person in the world that day.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I hate is when I'm going 10 over the limit in the passing lane and trying to get around people, but it isn't good enough for the guy wanting to pass at 20 over the limit.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon, here's some more bumper stickers to anger the type-A's:

"I'm winning your imaginary race"

"I'm ahead of you, therefore you must be inferior and have a smaller penis"

"If you can read this, my watch is probably more gaudy and expensive than yours."

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What I hate is when I'm going 10 over the limit in the passing lane and trying to get around people, but it isn't good enough for the guy wanting to pass at 20 over the limit.

Solution - accelerate to complete your pass and then get out of the way.
quote:

The drivers that make me the most nervous are the motorcycles (generally "crotch-rockets") that I often see weaving in and out of lanes, going easily faster than 80 mph. They are not in safer vehicles, in fact are more exposed,

Safer as in what? If safer means more nimble and maneuverable, then the rider is on the safer vehicle.
quote:

and still race on like they're on a track. Now, do not take this as a slam on motorcyclists as my fiance has a motorcycle and I love riding along. But he never takes the chances I see these drivers taking. It would be so easy for someone to merge into a lane as one of these motorcycles is zooming along and cause a horrible accident.

And if this happened, it would hurt the person on the bike, not the person in the cage. There are better things to worry about.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's interesting how many people on here are defending unsafe and illegal driving. Guess it gives an insight as to who the jackasses we share the roads with every day are thinking.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 611
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty soon it will be illegal to hang out in the left lane, and the speed limits will be raised once again. Then you will recognize that we speeders are simply ahead of our time. We are "freeway pioneers" if you will, and one day we'll be commended for our forward thinking and for our totally awesome driving... and then we'll go even faster.

Fmstack
Username: Fmstack

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheesh, people having trouble merging actually causes traffic jams to happen. By making someone have to wait to get into traffic, you're slowing down everyone in the lane behind them, and ultimately slowing down people in every other lane behind them, too.

Basically, by making sure that the people around you on the road don't have to slam on their brakes (i.e., by not driving unpredictably, and by giving everyone enough space to move around you smoothly), you're making traffic better for everyone behind you. This does mean that you've got to make the road smooth for everyone around you, though, even the people who themselves are driving rudely. Again, by punishing a rude driver, you're also punishing everyone else on the road behind them.

This guy has a good (if unevenly written) analysis of exactly how this works. He claims to have singlehandedly "evaporated" traffic jams in Seattle through providing enough space in front of his car to clear merge backups.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 519
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That merge space actually works, too. I have slowed down a bit lately, and find that leaving room and letting others go whizzing about their business relieves a lot of stress on my part. You will see me letting you get by to my left, and letting other people get in front of me. I do get into the "fast" lane to pass, and I do speed up to that lane's speed to pass, then I move over and drop my speed again. I see you grumpy people feeling superior and all, but it doesn't bother me, you go right on ahead and have a Type A heart attack. We will both get where we are going, and you just might be a couple minutes ahead of me. Maybe you will even get a great parking spot!

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to merge ahead of me USE YOUR FREAKING TURN SIGNALS. I will let anyone in, even someone who is driving aggressively as long as they are willing to perform this little piece of courtesy, if not, you can rot in the merge lane...

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I give my primary regard on the freeway to the laws of physics. What can I say? It's a jungle out there. If letting people pass on the left means I am graciously allowed to merge on the right, who cares how fast they're driving over there?

Anyway, tell me you obey the law in every regard of your life, when you are certain the authorities aren't watching.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 912
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge: You claim people on here are defending illegal and unsafe driving. Who do you consider unsafe? The guy driving slower than the flow of traffic in the left lane or the many more folks piling up behind him who are compelled to pass him on the right?

Your proposed bumper stickers are very clever as are the others posted here. Even we Type A's will enjoy them. It's always nice to see some humor in the ditches.

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on September 17, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld, illegal is obviously breaking MDOT traffic laws, and doesn't need further clarification. As for unsafe, if you are driving slower than the flow of traffic, but above the minimum speed limit as defined by MDOT, you should get to the right. Making people pass you on the right is unsafe. If you are driving below the minimum speed limit, you should get off the road and move to Florida, live on a golf course, and own your own golf cart. So, I think we are pretty much in agreement.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the 55 MPH speed limit went into effect in the 70s, three guys drove 55, side by side on I 94 between Ann Arbor and Detroit. The traffic jam was enormous, and they were ticketed for obstructing traffic!

Lefty2

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote for driving on the freeway. By Thomas Paine/ Lee Iacocca
"Lead, follow or get out of the way"

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 913
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missnmich: I was in that mess, about 5 cars behind the guys blocking the expressway. It's lucky they were not shot. They created a very dangerous situation; people were trying to pass on the shoulders and those idiots tried to block the shoulders and edge them off into the ditches. It took forever for the police to get to the front of the line and take them off. People who drive in the left lane today slowing the flow of traffic are just as dangerous, whether they are doing it on purpose or just not paying attention. That event you mentioned indelibly etched in my brain a hatred for the slow left laners.

Johnlodge: We do agree. I'm aware of what constitutes illegality and that wasn't a question in my post. But, I'm glad you raised that issue. I believe that traffic speed limits have no relation whatsoever to traffic safety. Clearly, most drivers feel that speed limits on expressways don't have the moral weight of other laws because they are ignored by the majority of drivers. I've driven the expressways since they were constructed and it's always been that way. A couple of years ago I drove from Square Lake to downtown Detroit on I-75 and I drove 55 in the RIGHT lane every inch of the way because my wife's always bitching about fast drivers (me). It was quite an experience. People behind me blinked their lights and many passed me and gave me the finger. I was not held up in that lane by one other driver in 27 miles doing 55. Even my wife told me to get in the center lane and drive faster. I am ashamed that because of my conduct I caused a lot of other drivers to be frustrated that day. But, my wife doesn't tell me to slow down much anymore either.

What we have today are a lot of technical scofflaws, not real lawbreakers.

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting range of opinions. Here's mine: First, recommended safe and/or courteous driving practices, as taught in most driver's education classes, are not pushed enough on the driving public. Second, many of these are not actually codified in a statute, even though they seem obvious to most drivers, and so those who drive contrary to them cannot actually be ticketed for doing so.

More should be done to educate drivers in the correct way to drive, such as slower traffic keeping to the right, using turn signals to signal all lane changes, signaling an upcoming turn before brakes are applied, adjusting your speed to match traffic in the lane you are merging into, etc.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 915
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct in my opinion. These basic driving "rules of common sense" should b e codified. And enforced.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the idiotically different speed limits for large truck and cars. There's a 10 mph spread which is OK I guess but all big trucked should be restricted during rush hours to the right lane. The big trucks never adhere to their speed limit anyway and the ones hat do usually travel in the center of left center lanes thereby really screwing up the flow of traffic.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same idiot that whines and sobs about high gas prices can normally be seen trying to pass traffic doing 90 down the slow lane in his ultra size 4x4 PU Truck.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's interesting how many people on here are defending unsafe and illegal driving. Guess it gives an insight as to who the jackasses we share the roads with every day are thinking."

My sentiments exactly. I don't think most understand how different and fluent driving can actually be. It certainly expresses how selfish and close-minded individuals can become over time. What baffles me is how michigan/detroit drivers have never been exposed to other cities to witness the simplicity of safe, monitored and enforced roads. Instead {we} continue to drive faster and faster - spurring on the guy/girl next to us to drive faster because nobody is gonna stop them, and they deserve to be there first (me, me, me). Metro-Detroit drivers measure speed in terms of flow and/or other drivers' characteristics - when it actually has already been taken care of for them (speed is measured in terms of MPH). It is a cascading problem that has remained unchecked for many, many years. "Type A's", as some of you refer to, practice unsafe and aggressive driving I presume. They are leading contributors to road rage, conversion of assertive drivers into aggressive drivers, traffic jams and the ever-increasing speed of the traffic flow. I don't forecast any ceiling as to where this <acceleration> will level off. I also believe that the number of Type A's are on the rise because they reproduce (convert others) simply by doing what they do best- Drive (poorly).

It happens to be a consolidated problem IMO. You can not drive 85-90 mph from Detroit to Kalamazoo without risking a ticket. I say you would be pulled over 65% of the time. Now consider Ohio for example. Driving from, say, Toledo to Cleveland on the Turnpike at 80-90 will Guarantee a driver a ticket.

This enforcement and police presence is what promotes safe driving. Ohio has impeccable freeways. And they have very safe roads at that.

Going back to Detroit freeways, you can literally drive 90-110 mph - drunk and high - in the middle to right lane (or wherever you please) - basically at night or early morning - and avoid a ticket/traffic stop/arrest 80 - 90% of the time. In actuality - the only way you might get pulled over is if there happens to be a cop around which I find quite rare. Anyone who says they often see cops on Detroit freeways are simply exaggerating and I don't expect that statement to be challenged.

I additionally want to say that I agree with majority of posters that people who drive {slower} in the fast lane create unsafe roads. Although the statement is vague due to the fact that Detroiters and Michiganders have widely varying views on what is slow and what is fast, it is still a generally accepted principal, and probably an enforceable law at that, to which all drivers should be aware of.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning I witnessed a Detroit cop parked on the side of the Lodge at the Linwood exit, very visibly holding a radar gun out his window. Everyone slowed to 55, but about 10 seconds after I passed him he proceeded to pull someone over. There was no way they could have been going more than 60. Sporadic enforcement of the law in this way is absolutely ridiculous.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Operation Asphalt rolls out in the wake of this thread. Maybe I should bitch about murder rates and the understaffed/underachieving DPD. Maybe even a little rant to get the tigers going.........

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070919/U PDATE/709190435/1003

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.