Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Park Bar and Cliff Bells « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chefdave
Username: Chefdave

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, September 14, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I plan on checking both of those bars out Saturday night for the first time. Can anyone tell about there experience there? I am looking forward to it. Thanks

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10208
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Park has a huge round bar with high-top tables on the window facings.

At the bar, you are on display for everyone in the perimeter...basically looking across the busy bartenders at everyone else that decided to belly up there.

At the tables, you are on display for everyone in the street...it is like a rectangular fishbowl and makes for some spectacular people-watching during concert and game times.

Sunsets are pretty cool there, and save a little appetite because you will want to have one of their $3.77 Schwarma sandwiches...actually from the Cafe next door...the BEST cheap and quick dinner downtown, and healthiest, too.

And you can usually get them until about one or one-thirty in the morning! Make sure your date isn't sensitive to garlic, though.

Cliff Bells occasionally has Big Acts with high cover, so check in advance. Dress up a bit, and you won't be so amazed at some of the very cool vintage getups you'll see. Or at least you won't feel so under-dressed.

The music at Cliff Bells never, ever, ever fails to just amaze me. Go see Hot Club of Detroit when they're playing, and make sure you have a couple shots of espresso a good half hour prior. Don't gape at the architecture TOO BLATANTLY, it's kinda uncool to drool on the stuff...but check out the tiled wall on the wall towards the Park Bar...it is from the SpeakEasy that ran in the basement during Prohibition.

That place is shear history, and you feel as if YOU'VE been there a hundred years comfortable yourself.

I love both of 'em, but you cannot usually tear me from the Park...talking with Phyllis. She's an absolute riot. And she never wears her hair the same for more than a week.

Gannon

Post Number: 10209
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't miss painting of the Spirit of Detroit statue from the best perspective I've ever seen...high on the wall past the bathrooms.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

Do you really think they charge an expensive cover? We brought in guitarist Randy Napoleon (plays with Michael Buble) and had to work hard to persuade them to hike the normal four dollar cover up to 15 dollars. I paid 4 dollars to go to the teen dances back in the mid 80's. You can't hear a name player in any jazz room in any other city for that little bit of money. Detroiters have been unaccustomed to cheap cover, drinks etc compared to most other cities. As the city gets it's groove back these things will change and resemble what you see in places like Chicago. Detroit is really a bargain compared to most.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1623
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the cover's not high considering you were attending Cliff's to see a particular act, if one just wanted to go because they were thirsty, then the cover may deter someone.

Gannon

Post Number: 10213
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Do you really think they charge an expensive cover?

No. It is just that if someone is simply going out for a few drinks, bumping into ANY cover can be unexpected.

I actually consider Cliff Bell's a huge bargain for entertainment today...for the caliber of talent they continually bring in, $15 might actually be too cheap (for the musicians and their abilities).

I just wanted to warn a fellow who might not be expecting to shell out $25 bucks to go through the door! On some night's budgets, that's five drinks gone. (Although, I think I've only seen a cover that high once...no, twice. First time it shocked me and I went back to the Park, Second time I knew who was playing and probably would've paid double, since I KNEW it would be that and more to see them in a venue like the Fox!)

On any night's budget...but surely $15 IS easily worth it for anyone interested in hearing some of the finest jazz in town, in one of the most beautiful restored environs with a crowd of fellow travellers.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't mind a bit paying the $4 or $5 they charge for most acts...

The drinks are actually quite reasonable in price, so it makes you realize that bars without cover charges often get it back by jacking the drink prices up.

Gannon

Post Number: 10214
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be interesting to ask for the mailing lists of the national acts you book, and make an appeal in conjunction WITH Cliff Bell's and a consortium of service support, like hotels and taxi/shuttles...and book tours promoting the city/neighborhood/genre of music/architecture/people.

I think that would bring in some tourist dollars much needed in the area...gather folk who adore the act and realize what a bargain it is to see them in a treasured venue. You'd use the word 'intimate' a few times, so they get the hint.

Make a web page that can be clicked to from their official sites...or advertised on e-fanzines and other e-zines.

Then I'd make an HD, full-surround live recording of the evening so everyone could have a record of their memory. They could even take home a DVD if they would just have a few more drinks at the bar...remember, we're shuttling them to their hotel rooms and bed/breakfasts. Why would they leave early?

(The more stuff they take home to play for their family and friends, the more accelerated the geometric growth of the campaign...the DVD would have built-in advertising and PR for the city, maybe even some Kwame-time!)

(might be cool to offer some sunrise tours of the city with the same equipment...don't want it parked for long, it only COST money then!)

Catalog those, and the musicians have a continual income stream from ONE GIG. Not a bad deal. Since the bar would somehow have to manage it, they'd be in on a piece of the stream as well...but I'd want the largest percentage to go to the talent, no matter HOW the equation is drawn up!

Wouldn't work with acts signed to corporate labels, but for much of the 'forgotten' real talent it should be a boon.

I'm sure the Musician's Union wouldn't mind the bump, either.

Cheers!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!!! I have only driven by those places. I didn't know all of that was going on inside. I may have to wander in soon.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 807
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying this as a bad thing, but just letting you know the Park Bar prices were about $4 for a PBR and $6-7+ for mixed beverages. A real nice place though and the Bucharest Grill is one of the best hidden treasures in the city as far as I am concerned.

Gannon

Post Number: 10215
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adamjab19,

Where are you from?

If the barkeep didn't ask that, they must've been really busy. They usually like to meet people from the various neighborhoods, not just sell drinks...but when they're slammed they can't keep up that banter.

Cheers!

(Message edited by Gannon on September 15, 2007)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cliff Bell's doesn't have food, but you can order a shwarma sandwich or something from next door and the Park bartender brings it over.

It sort of detracted from the art deco ambience of Cliff Bell's to have people eating sandwiches out of a bag, but at this point, you do what you have to do.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 102
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Might be interesting to ask for the mailing lists of the national acts you book, and make an appeal in conjunction WITH Cliff Bell's and a consortium of service support, like hotels and taxi/shuttles...and book tours promoting the city/neighborhood/genre of music/architecture/people."

We aren't really a promoter although we straddle that fence. The groups we have presented (Bop Culture at Arturo's, Faruq Z. Bey, and Randy Napoleon at Cliff's) all have a local presence. Our main focus is the podcast. We have had our listeners say they were going to travel to Detroit just because of the music they have heard on the show. Your idea is great and if we begin to see enough interest it is one that should be pursued.

Despite celebrating Detroit for almost two years, many shows, three podcasts, worldwide listeners etc. the local media has ignored us. My guess is that they don't understand what a podcast is/can be or they don't understand the significance of shows like ours for tourism and getting a positive message out about this city. Either that, or they just want to tell bad news about this city?

Thanks for the ideas and I will keep them in the back of my mind. Just let me know where to send the check!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Saturday, September 15, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Going to Cliff Bell's has always been an enjoyable experience for me. I highly recommend it.

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Cliff Bell's for the first time last night with three friends and we had a great time!! I didn't even realize Cliff Bell's or the Park Bar were there until reading the forum, which is odd considering I've been right up the block at Centaur's plenty of times. The music was great and there was a pretty decent crowd. Their "International" martini was divine! I'm looking forward to going back and to stopping in at the Park Bar as well. All of us agreed that we would be coming back with more friends.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 809
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon-

Grew up in Utica, living in Clawson now, soon to be Berkley.

Still great without having the banter.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.