Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Curious « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Brewcitypunk
Username: Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What used to occupy the tract of land bounded by Mound, Charles, Buffalo and Talbot streets? Just viewing the area trough satellite pictures. Looks like a series of sidewalks and streets once occupied the section. Just curious.

brewcitypunk

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google Earth shows what looks like many apartment houses there with a curious smokestack just southwest of the center.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be the site of the Charles Terrace housing project. More info and old photos can be found here:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/62684/73103.html

Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Atlas-Fresh Logic Studios satellite shot that I was viewing shows cleared land with a few buildings standing in the northwest corner. Thanks for the Google Earth tip. Must be an older shot of what was once a housing project or an apartment complex.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An Indian Burial Ground

I know what you're thinkin', but don't do it. What comes out of the ground ain't what went into the ground....sometimes, dead is bettah

(Message edited by michigan on September 16, 2007)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, thanks.

Anyone know what the smokestack was for? Was it an incinerator? It's strange to see one that large inside a residential area.

Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the past forum link Mikem. I didn't know so many post-war housing projects existed in Detroit and are now history. I find the 50's style housing, just northwest of the tract quite interesting. Aerial views show driveways with intact garages. How is the stability of that specific neighborhood today?

brew

Brewcitypunk

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Mikeg, my bad.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think those was the Charles Housing Project. They were brick two story buildings originated in the late 40's early 50's, low cost housing for folks. There were older projects west of Buffalo and north of Charles and these may have been built during WWII, they were very low cost and did not survive too long. The smoke stack may have been for a central heating plant in the Charles Terrace Project with steam heat going to the buildings.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These projects were very close to Elizabeth White School. The school met the needs of handicapped children as well as neighborhood children. The school was adjacent to the Lasky park and the Bernard B. Lasky Recreation Center. This was a neighborhood park with a wading pool, tennis courts and baseball diamonds, both softball and hardball. The park was built in the 30's. The park across Fenelon was Jayne Field. Cleveland Intermediate School was adjacent to the field and at the corner of Charles and Conant Streets. This park had soccer and football fields as well as baseball diamonds.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live close to that area and anything close to Jayne field east of Conant is very blighted. I am especially thinking of Sunset St. My husband and I visited a friend that lives on the residential part of Carpenter east of Conant and decided to go the back way toward home because there was an accident at the intersection. I was really surprised how few livable homes there were, considering the part of Detroit east of Conant and south of Carpenter is virtually indistinguishable from Hamtramck in terms of maintenance and housing stock. I am surprised that the Yemeni and Bangladeshi populations that have businesses along Conant haven't filled in that area. There is virtually nobody there, which makes the large area that once had the Charles Terrance Project look even more desolate.

Stinger4me

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in the area during the 50's and 60's. The residents then were lower middle class, blue collar folks. The homes were kept up with lawns and flowers. All of that started to change in the 70's. I can recall when the residents of the "projects" could not own cars, if you owned a car you probably had to much money to qualify for the housing there. On my last visit I was surprised by the number of houses waiting for a bulldozer to arrive to put them out of their misery. It was a good neighborhood in the 50's and 60's.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frumoasa,
The desolate area you're talking about must be north of Jayne field near where the now-departed 11th Precinct used to be. I grew up south of Charles and a bit west of Buffalo and the area is still in decent shape.

My 86 year old Dad still lives there and has no desire to leave his neighbors. Okay, his house was broken into a couple of weeks ago but his neighbors IMMEDIATELY called the cops and went over to constantly ring the doorbell to scare the crooks off. Houses in the area still have trimmed lawns and flower beds although most of the old neighbors are, in fact, aging. There are also some Yemeni moving into the neighborhood and they, too, maintain their property and look out for others like my Dad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.