Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » What do you owe Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What advantages have you gleaned from living or working in Detroit that could be credited, in part, to the City.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1701
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow that is deep!
Might have to think on this thread for a bit.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 336
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing at all-actually being from & living in Detroit hurt me greatly. I lost out on several good jobs years ago in suburbs due to my city residence back then.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 943
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family and network of friends growing up.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 370
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul,

Indirectly, didn't you land a good job and buy a house without a subprime loan, or maybe it all just comes down to making better decisions than hoi polloi?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1933
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My childhood, a most valuable thing. Sort of what Yvette just said.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one enjoy the company of the hoi polloi, Miss uppity-up-nose-in-the-air! Now let me get back to cutting this catalytic converter out of this Explorer...

Tponetom

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am pondering an answer to my own question.
A life time of events, good and bad, cascade through my mind, and the good, far exceeds the bad and I owe Detroit for that. I grew up in an environment that seemed to give you everything you need, like an education and friends and vocations as well as avocations and a thousand different venues for entertainment. For that, I owe.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't trade my childhood memories living in Detroit for the world. Detroit in the 40's, 50's and 60's was a great City. Maybe as a child growing up during those years I didn't see as much as others did, but we could play outside until the street lights came on, play kick-the-can in the alleys with our friends, ride our bikes for blocks and blocks and never have to worry about someone shooting us. I knew every neighbor on my block and loved them all. Everyone sat out on their porches during those lazy summer evenings. Everyone looked out for each other...now everyone looks the other way.
Neighborhoods were clean, no litter or garbage. People swept the sidewalks and streets and were proud of their small piece of property. It's a shame to see what my neighborhood looks like now, and I have to wonder why. Incidentally, we were not wealthy by any means. Hard work, long hours and lots of love.

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 275
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

street smarts..

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 740
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An appreciation for automobiles and music. An eyewitness account of voluntary segregation in action. A bit of street smarts as well.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6200
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$124 + change

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 741
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Jams

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 372
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan,

Nice one, but shouldn't that be a Buick? BTW, no need to use "the"; "hoi" means "the" in Greek, m' thinks. I bet Professorscott knows, or he could send a grad student to find out, so he can report back here to what he calls his blog that's really a forum.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot. The city has been my inspiration and my photos of Detroit actually got my foot in the door for my profession.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Character.

Instant street cred in other cities.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3672
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What East_Detroit said plus a lot of perspective, humility, and understanding of the importance of history and ideas in shaping a place.

Detroit has made me love cities more. If one can learn to love what little of our former city remains, then surely you can appreciate most urban spaces.

Interpreting your question more literally, I feel like I owe Detroit my residency. I want to live there as soon as I can.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have actually garnered a great deal from the various philanthropic venues in the city. I just hope the future is well endowed with the rich history we see today so more can enjoy.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gained a cheap, safe place to live and the love/good will of my neighbors for restoring the only abandoned house on my block.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My home growing up (East Outer Drive), every job I ever had before moving to NYC (Rivertown & Downtown), my education (St. Peter & Paul, U of D High, & Wayne State), my introduction to techno, house, industrial & the underground (Music Institute, Warehouse, Red Door, Shelter, City Club, etc, etc....), and my street cred ('nuff said!).

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 4:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit helped to save my marriage and also introduced me to the BEST friends I have ever had the pleasure of knowing in my life. For that I love Detroit, but I am not so sure I "OWE" anything to Detroit. For as long as I live here, I will continue to do what I can to help the City in the right direction...

Actually, I think that is a perfect follow-up question! What have you gained from the City? What have you done to give back?

Sometimes it seems this City is full of parasites, sucking the life from it, while not enough Givers....

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6524
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Street Prophets have been owing Detroit city services abd community development for years and we do a very go job keep it intact.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Auto-didact? I'll have to teach myself what that means. Oxford, didn't Rob Lowe, Amanda Bines, and Michael J.Fox all go to school there at one time or another?

(Message edited by michigan on September 17, 2007)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 886
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about what does Detroit owe you? Are you getting your monies worth from the city?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A level head, a good work ethic, the mindset that you don't hire other people to do what you should be able to do yourself. Also, giving my grandparents and great grandparents a livelihood so they could build the foundation of my family in America.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 518
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I met my wonderful husband, and made some good friends, learned a lot about divestment and neighborhood change. I wish there was something I could do to bridge the great divide. I don't know about owing Detroit anything, but I have written off quite a bit of financial loss from investing in Detroit.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First for providing the city where my parents met and married, and then as the beginning for my extended family of aunts, uncles, and cousins. Next, would be for giving me a solid list of friends, the DIA, and particularly the DIA's Line series (saw Robert Duncan there in '82), the good times on Detroit's music scene circa 1980, the magic of baseball at Tiger Stadium (Norm Cash, The Bird, Jim Northrup), Wayne State (graduated with money in my pocket), and a decent paying job at the Ponchartrain that allowed me to tour France and then land in New York.

None
Username: None

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inspiration, that feeling of awe one has as a child that everything and anything is possible, unlimited opportunity to do whatever dreams may come your way and the canvas to do it upon.

I Love Detroit and always will, Thank you for all you have done for me and my family.

God bless and good day.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9826
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing! But they do owe me a football team!

Tponetom

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alphabetically speaking, from A to Z ? I owe Detroit: Academia sources and the Zoo, among a host of other things.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 410
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice employment with the Parks and Rec. dept while I was going to school at Wayne State in the early 70's.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "What advantages have you gleaned from living or working in Detroit that could be credited, in part, to the City."

such an interesting question, I love it! let's see: our family's financial security, thanks to Uniroyal and Detroit's industrial might during the 50s and 60s; an intimate knowledge of soul music and dancing that amazes folks out here in the West (LOL! very few out here can DANCE); an understanding of racial tension that can come only from experience; a summer of working as a Good Humor Girl; memories of Boblo Island outings and of Great Lakes freighters' amazing horns and whistles echoing in the night; a chance to dance as a teenager on CKLW's "Swing Time" (anyone else remember that???); a heartfelt appreciation for unpolluted places on this earth; and regular childhood access to Vernor's Ginger Ale (even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it).

Tponetom

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret: (My wife's given name that evolved to Maggie, Peggy, and, from me, 'Babe.')
Re: My A to Z assessment. "Y" reminds me of the NE YMCA. Handball, yes, but more exciting were the dance classes we took there. 12 dollars for six lessons. A married couple. the Amato's, were the instructors. She was a wisp of a girl and he was kind of chubby, well, kind of dumpy looking guy and we had our reservations during that first lesson. BUT, when they took center stage, the magic secrets of dancing exploded in their movements. To this very day, we still try to "waltz to a rock and roll tune."
I just bought two 12 packs of Vernors, here in Tucson, for 4 bucks each. When I was a kid, in Detroit, I could not afford the dime for Vernors when Coke was a nickel. (Without the ice cream.)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1756
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I should give Detroit back the albums I borrowed:

A1

A2

A3

A4

A5

A6

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A wonderful and diverse selection of music there, packman. And that "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" cover is one for the ages.

Does that mean this thread is going to take a change in direction to a musical discussion a la the "helping out-of-towners" one?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pyromania, Def Leppard vs. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac

Rumours was unspeakably huge when it came out, an amazing pop confection from a blues-based band that had labored for a decade in semi-obscurity before tacking on a couple of Southern California granola heads to make things go down sweet and smooth for the radio. Like Thriller a few years later, it just dominated radio for months and months, as single after single was released to chart success and acclaim. And even its non-single cuts have since permeated the collective consciousness of the music world; if there's a record that's as recognizable as this one, start to finish, every cut, odds are it's a greatest hits album, not a standalone work like this one. Pyromania was similarly unavoidable in its day, although that was largely due to the fact that it was a product of the MTV era, and the video for "Photograph" played constantly, everywhere that videos had any reason playing, and many places where they didn't. Looking back, Rumours now seems far slicker than it needed to be, but the same complaint applies to the buffed-to-a-sheen production given to Pyromania by Robert John "Mutt" Lange (a.k.a. Mr. Shania Twain). Since "slick" is probably an expected and desirable quality for Southern California pop, and it is not an expected and desirable quality for metal, we're gonna pick the Mac.
Winner: Rumours, Fleetwood Mac

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

goat - Nothing! But they do owe me a football team!
Concur! Is this gonna be the big year:-)

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 455
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I have a lot of tasks to do, I always think of Detroit and the assembly line. I model what I have to do from that and accomplish it quickly. For that reason, I am thankful of Detroit.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...advantages of being a Native? I am fearless around giant rats, and New Yorkers fear me. There's no relation between the two.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I owe Detroit nothing, and it owes me the same.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has offered me alot over the years, great history, good people, whats its like to persevere in times of hardship and loyalty among some people when others run. These are all good lessons for personal life. Its has also taught me some very sad things about human behavior and what damage ignorance can do. Overall its been a very interesting ride so far. For this reason I , as mentioned by someone earlier, owe them my residency and put my money where my mouth is in this regard . My many friends who have left for other cities, bragged often when they left and boasted about their new locations, some still do, but , oddly enough everyone of them tells me now that they miss Detroit often saying its not a bad place afterall. They all tell me they miss the type of people you meet here and how important they become to you as you get older.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.