Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Rays Bridal Salon...Oakman and GrandRiver « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A while back someone had a post regarding Rays Bridal Salon. I used to wait on those employees when they came in Woolworths for lunch. I believe she said her mother worked at Rays. I remember some of the names. Couldnt remember or locate that post to respond.

Oakmangirl
Username: Oakmangirl

Post Number: 373
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mother-earth,

That was me! I really miss that place and the people. My grandma worked at Ray's in the 70's...maybe you knew her? Her first name was Katherine, but she went by Mae. Sadly, she passed away nearly 6 years ago. Did you know the seamstress we all called Cele?

Anyway, pics of the store seem to be non-existent.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this it?

wsu/vmc

Mother_earth

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakman Girl, I worked there in the late 50's while I was in school. I will tell you what I remember. The lady named Mae I knew that worked there had a daughter named
Sally and a son named Don. Their last name was Dixon. Mae was raising these kids by herself. I do not know what happened to their father. Don was killed when some older woman let him and his friends drink at her home and then they drove and hit a center median and he was killed. I dated him for a short period of time. A very good looking guy. He took me to a prom in Windsor Canada. My girlfriends mother worked there also, her last name was Street. I cannot remember the name of the owner of Rays, but I can see him, as I never forgot what the people looked like. It was a wonderful fun time for me, working behind that lunch counter, they all came in there for their breaks and lunch. Next door to Woolworths was Richmans Clothing. One thing I do remember is the beautiful clothes that they sold in Rays.
I am sorry I cant help you much more. By 1970 I was moving to Arizona...not my choice.

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 374
Posted on Sunday, September 16, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Sally is my mom and Don was my uncle; he died before I was born. I may have a picture of you with Don; it was taken around Christmas. My mom thinks she may have worked with you at Woolworth's.Do you mind sharing your first name with me? You can e-mail me at sauvelamise@gmail.com I'd be happy to send you photos. Ray's owner was Max Leichling.

Hornwrecker, that may be it! I remember their logo as script though. Did you find that in the WSU archive? I've had no luck there with keywords.

You've both made my day! :-)

Mother_earth

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakman Girl, did you get my email?

Oakmangirl

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C.

I did; replying right now!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.