Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » TV Sports Bar, best sports bar in Detroit! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11683
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to share a place I came across yesterday on my way to the Lions game. I noticed the place opened a few weeks ago, in the location of the former Half Past Three, on Grand River. It's about 1/2 mile or so from downtown (Washington Blvd) right up Grand River, near the Cass Tech football field.

I popped my head into the place, figured I'd have one before heading to Ford Field. The name of the place is TV (a sports bar w/food), as the sign states. Let me just say, this is by far the best sports bar I have been to in Detroit! They have 37 tv's throughout the bar, most of which are approximately 42 inch flat screens. The bar stools are extremely high back, they have two shuffle board tables, and a pool table outside!

I'm not sure whether or not any of the guys I spoke with were part owners, or just managers, but they gave me the full low down on the place. It's worth mentioning that they plan on installing even MORE tv's very soon, some it seems in the outdoor patio area.

I inquired about the crowd, and whether or not they were getting former patrons from Half Past Three, or whether it was a new group, since it is drastically different. He informed me that there were former patrons, hoping for the place to be what it used to be, but even those guests are quickly warming up to the place.

They have basically every sport televised on display. The tv's behind the bar all had either the Tigers game, Colts/Ravens, or PGA golf on. The others throughout the place covered something else.

The food is your typical bar type food, the burgers I saw go by looked awesome! As I sat there with my Sam Adams, a guy beside me offered to split some wings, that just kinda showed up after nobody ordered them. I'm suspicious he was one of the owners. The wings were great. Next, a guy further down says "You gotta try this!" They passed me something that was deep fried. After a bite, I was amazed to find it was a deep fried cinnamon apple slice, best dessert/appetizer I've had in a long time. Shortly after, somebody from the kitchen comes out with some dipping sauce, offered another slice, and told me NOW try it. Oh my god, it was like improving perfection! Not since the deep fried twinkies at DBC have I had something so scrumptious.

I stayed for one more beer, to talk with the patrons and management a bit more. I would encourage any sports fan to stop in and check the place out. I was told that they cover all the college football games on Saturday, NFL on Sunday, as well as Monday Night Football. Though as I said, with all their tv's, they pretty much cover EVERYTHING! Check it out, and be sure to try those apple slices, that aren't even on the menu yet.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Monday, September 17, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I guess if you're going to be hanging out there all the time now, I won't be poppping my head in any time soon. ;) (Just kidding, of course)

Detroiterinspirit
Username: Detroiterinspirit

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS - with you admitting that you can be "bought" with an half order of wings and a few slices of cinnamon apples...
My respect of your 11K post is shattered...could your political opinions be swayed for a slice of Buddy's Pizza and half a bag of Better Made chips???? (all in fun...seems like a nice hangout)

Supersport

Post Number: 11684
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose that depends, is the Buddy's Pizza from the original Buddy's Pizza that remains in Detroit? :-)

It was actually the 37 televisions that swayed me. Could have been the biggest dive bar in the city, but as long as their sports coverage was top notch, it would have won my vote.

Supersport

Post Number: 11685
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A more complete review was emailed to me. The article states 35 flat screens, but the bartender noted 37 tv's, about 6 of which were regular tv's built into the wall. That being said, whichever number it is, there is undoubtedly plenty of tv's, that is for sure.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070913/ENT 1005/709130329/1198

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.