Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Building Department « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have worked a little with the DBD in the past only not the complete process by myself. I'm in the process of renovating (gutting) some residential units and getting close to pulling permits and I was wondering if I could gain some further insight into the process from some that have been through it. I have pulled permits to occupancy in a couple of the suburban area's (Rochester hills, Troy, Waterford) but never in the D. Good experiences or bad (I've had both)

Thanks

(Message edited by diesel on September 18, 2007)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck. Be patient, it can be wildly uneven, sometimes great, a lot of times confounding.
Don't expect that the different inspectors or departments talk to each other--you will have to be the go-between sometimes.
Hint: when the electrical inspector comes to do the final inspection (right before you get your C of O) he'll want the circuit breaker panel opened and he will say "I don't see enough GREEN wires in there" the operative word here is GREEN.
You know what to do.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, September 18, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did she kiss you on the strikes....

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i always recommend getting there first thing in the morning. you have a much better chance of getting to see people right away. also, be nice to the ladies at the counter; they're the gate keepers.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be prepared to wait for 4 hours before you actually are acknowledged. Don't expect a courteous 'I'll be with you in a moment'.
Then you will realize that you have been waiting in the wrong department and that you will need to fill out a form. Then be prepared to wait another 3 hours (unless it is near lunch time) until you are told which form to fill out...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.