Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Civilians to patrol the streets of Philly « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.ncmonline.com/news /view_article.html?article_id= 7f06ccafd70a2ec427cb7a40c2840e 60

"Philadelphia PA. -- Anti-violence groups are all over Philadelphia’s most crime-ridden neighborhoods, calling for an end to the bloodshed and trying to reach out to those more inclined to squeeze a trigger than talk to solve a dispute.

Three of the most visible are Men United For A Better Philadelphia, Mother’s in Charge and Mothers United Through Tragedy.

Now a coalition of media, civic and community leaders and law enforcement officials are calling for 10,000 Black men to rise up, take control of their neighborhoods and help keep the peace.

The recruitment effort called “A Call to Action: 10,000 Men — It’s a New Day,” was announced on Friday and is the brainchild of entertainment promoter Charlie Mack.

It will officially begin on Oct. 21 with a recruitment drive to be held at the Liacouras Center. The recruiting is to be followed by extensive training of the volunteers in conflict resolution techniques and to basically become neighborhood peacekeepers."

I'm sure many of you have thought about this for Detroit. There are obviously an overwhelming number of good people who want things to be better. Time will tell how this goes in Philly, but in Detroit, we've seen how Angel's Night patrols have drastically reduced arsons. Could this work? Or is this asking for trouble?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Philly was the city of brotherly love JL? >>>What exactly did you write in the High School thread that was so freaking bad that it got deleted? Just curious...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that like being the Wolverine state, but having no Wolverines? Just kidding, Philly. >> My post is still there, it was that Blcksoul_x guy's post that was deleted. That's the one Ravine was referring to. My was just making fun of my rich suburban high school.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks JL.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You boys speakin your pig-latin again?

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am like the CITYLOVER.

I think that the number one issue that is stifling the city's revitilization is the high violent crime (or perception of high violent crime), and not the economy.

People will not live where they do not feel safe. Although Downtown and Midtown are safe, most other neighborhoods are in decline.

The culture of violence has to be eliminated if people are going to come back to the residential neighborhoods like the North End, Dexter-Davison, and Warrendale.

I would definitely be interested in contributing to a campaign like that in Philadelphia. Are there any other black men who frequent this forum who would be interested in starting something like this? Should this effort be strictly spearheaded by African-Americans or by all kinds of folks?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2578
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an interview on NPR about the program, the police chief said anybody was welcome to join. The program was started by the people who organized the million-man march, and they were mostly focusing on the black men who live in those communities. Anybody else would be welcome.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sgt. Moses Hightower is the MAN!

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 853
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG, I wondered where the Civilians went! [digs out groupie outfit...]

Civilians.com

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm. This could be good or it could be a disaster. I guess my concern revolves around this question: what different kinds of people will be motivated to get involved with such an effort, and what are all of their motivations? I can imagine some people would get involved because they get off on the idea of having some sort of authority over others, and those people will have a negative impact and probably will push the boundaries of what they are supposed to do.

When I grew up we had that system but it was completely informal. I don't recall anybody ever calling the police for any reason whatever; that was not how we resolved things. It worked OK, I guess, but we were all of a culture; I'm not sure how well it would work in a multicultural environment.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2581
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, that was brought up Professor Scott. The police chief, who is in support of the plan, insisted they would be well trained, and each group would have a captain who would be in charge. No weopons, obviously, and their job is to be seen and keep their eyes open. They are to use conflict resolution, but not have confrontations.

It will be interesting to hear if it bears fruit, but your concerns are the concerns of many who aren't sure about this.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's a proactive strategy. But I am afraid this, or worse, is going to end up happening to one of those people.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rdf dF3HO-x0

Johnlodge

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those sorts of things are happening anyway. At least this is an attempt to stop it.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 855
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Three of the most visible are Men United For A Better Philadelphia, Mother’s in Charge and Mothers United Through Tragedy."

I would think they'd have a better chance of success if they formed one organization so they could pool ideas and resources.

Does anyone know if the Guardian Angels are still active?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.