Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Easy-access Restaurant for Oldsters Downtown? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 851
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend is taking a bus (12) of senior citizens to see the River Walk and have lunch. He needs a place he can pull the bus up right in front to let them out, and where they won't have too much walking (some are pretty frail).

Someone suggested Small Plates, but he's nervous about the bus and parking. We're leaning toward Slow's now. Any other ideas?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they're already at the riverwalk I would think that any of the restaurants in the Ren Cen would be pretty convenient. I've been on tours where the bus unloaded at the main river front entrance. You won't be able to leave the bus there, but I believe there is motor coach parking right around the corner. Just call the valet stand in advance.

Otherwise, I would head up to Atwater Brewery, or Rattlesnake.

Amy_p

Post Number: 852
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried, dropping them off at the RenCen alone to navigate into a restaurant is too risky, but I just remember Andiamo is down there. I'll suggest that, but welcome more ideas...

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andiamo should be a good bet since it's on the ground floor, just inside the Wintergarden.

All of the other restaurants they would have to navigate escalators or find someone helpful (good luck) enough to direct you to the handicapped elevator.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 410
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checker Bar...you can even enter on one of two sides. no steps. Hope they like burgers!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Castle on Michigan, use the drive-thru!
Roma's, call ahead and get tables on a lower level, plenty of places to park the bus.
Pack a picnic and eat on Belle Isle or a riverfront park.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 459
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slow’s is great, but the pork could be a bit too spicy and hard to chew for a bunch of seniors. Atwater Brewery has some tasty brew, but the menu is basically burgers and sandwiches. Roma’s Café is always a good bet. Sweet Loraine’s Café in the Marriott Courtyard has a menu that would please most seniors and you could use the hotel check-in lane to unload the bus. Another suggestion, although it’s not close to the Riverwalk, is a favorite of mine, Traffic Jam and Snug.

Amy_p

Post Number: 854
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, all. Ramcharger, our Sweet Loraine's has too many fruit flies and pretty sketchy service, in my experience. Traffic Jam is a great suggestion -- didn't think of that.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10177
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about the place that is/was McNarney's? Open seating on the first floor and you can park right in front of the door and move the bus to the side of the building.

Other options - Majestic (bus will be able to stop in front to drop off and pick up), Marios or Roma if they like Italian (buffett if they are going on Monday), Big Boy on Jefferson (although usually busy and nothing special), Atlas (can drop off and pick up and the bus will have ample parking in Brush Park unless it is a game day.

If you want to go further down Jeferson Sinbads is always full of older people :-)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10178
Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on time and day some other options are Vince's on Springwells, Buddys (if they are local and it may be nostalgic), Los Galanes if they want Mexican (the bus will be able to park next to the entrance), Union Street (same situation as Majestic), Da Eduardo (Call ahead and they will probably allow the bus to park on Columbia), Elwood (probably be able to park on Adams if no game) and it may be a nice piece of nostalgia but menu is limited), Vicente's if the bus can park in the lot next to it, Detroit Breakfast House may be able to coordinate something with their valet if you call ahead, The Whitney has a lot behind it if they want to go upscale, Sala Thai if they like Thai.

I suspect that should be enough options but I can list more.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.