Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » More Craziness...This One at Vincentes « Previous Next »
Archive through September 24, 2007Detroit_stylin30 09-24-07  1:19 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Off to that great Facebook page in the sky.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10222
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah I found the facebook account. Not sure if it is his. There are pics of the guy and he looks shady to say the least. Refers to himself as "King" James.

Passing judgment on someone that was just murdered based upon his facebook page. Pretty sorry if you ask me.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are pics of the guy and he looks shady to say the least. Refers to himself as "King" James."

Exactly - he had it coming.

Come on people, don't give up yet - there must be some way to dismiss this as not an actual crime in beloved Downtown Detroit. He must've done something to deserve this.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent a msg to the News about the article and they apologized. It is back online.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The word has been out that they (Vicente's) served after 2am.
People leaving a bar later then 2:30, that are not
employees, I believe is illegal.
For people to be leaving "after 3:30" says afterhours
This could be a real mess.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, the person obviously had it coming to them!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right D-Nerd. Folks are fooling themselves into thinking that random, blind, senseless violence can't happen to them. They try to paint the victim like he did something to deserve being shot.

Think about that poor girl in Hamtown that was shot in the head sitting in the passenger seat of her boyfriend's truck. What did she do to deserve a bullet in the brain?

DNerd, we're all in the crosshairs. Every second, every minute, every hour of every day. Trying to find a reason is un-reasonable.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 889
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 1:56 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
I sent a msg to the News about the article and they apologized. It is back online.

Leland_palmer for Mayor! Now, that's how you get things done, my friends.

Rock on Lp. Good job. All action, no talk. BRILLIANT!!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what if he was an employee of the restaurant, then 3am is not out of the question.
too bad that guns are everywhere these days.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"too bad that guns are everywhere these days."
-------------------

I must argue the "too bad so many angry crazies with no regard for life" angle.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um. Were we BOTH being sarcastic? I know I was!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^I knew it was sarcasm, I bet everyone else did too.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And there was also the fatal carjacking attempt at Beaubien and Larned or Beaubien and Congress this summer. It was late at night during the weekend.

Then remember the non-fatal stabbing outside of Comerica Park?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there was a shooting outside "plan b" recently...

also, i thought shots were fired outside "zoo bar" this year...and "good life" as well.

similarly, these stories went underground VERY quickly. i thought at least one resulted in a death. the "plan b" incident resulted in two people being shot. i'll look up the data, but the cbd is quickly losing its questionable designation as a safe place to be.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of the incidents mentioned by Thecarl happened while young Detroiters were frequenting downtown dance clubs. If you are not a young Detroiter and don't hang out at dance clubs, your chance of being a victim of a violent crime in the CBD is rare.

However, it sucks if you're a young Detroiter and want to go dancing. There always seems to be some angry young man (very rarely are these shootings committed by young women) who wants to settle a disagreement by shooting up the crowd, standing in front of the dance club. You know the type: angry because he felt that he was slighted at some point. Man, I just wish there was some kind of detection device that could spot these kinds of young men in a crowd so that they can be apprehended before he gets angry.

These types of things happen all the time, all over the city. The sad fact is this: if you are a young Detroiter, 16-24, you have to be extremely careful in choosing what place you go to to have a good time. Any event that gets advertised over the radio, is usually the kind of event that attracts the "wrong element." Nowadays, events have to be "invitation only" and that's still dangerous because those who aren't invited, but feel they deserve to get in, are the ones more likely to want to shoot up the joint if they're not let in.

This is the reality for many young Detroiters. Unless you have extremely strong security measures at a function, going to a public event where many young people are attending can be risky. I'm so glad I made it through that period of time. I was a freshman at college in 1981 when I experienced a shooting at a college dance. The guy was shot in the face and ran back into the building seeking help. He ran pass me so quickly that all I remember seeing was the droplets of blood on the floor. Again, that was 1981.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended a cabaret with a lady on Greenfield several years back and found it was organized well with a mature crowd.Has anyone here ever been there on salsa night? How was the crowd? Were there lots of Spanish women?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Many of the incidents mentioned by Thecarl happened while young Detroiters were frequenting downtown dance clubs. If you are not a young Detroiter and don't hang out at dance clubs, your chance of being a victim of a violent crime in the CBD is rare.

lyrics which sum up the situation:

quote:

Meet me in the trap its going down
Meet me in the mall its going down
Meet me in the club its going down
Any where ya meet me guaranteed to go down

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, September 24, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The sad fact is this: if you are a young Detroiter, 16-24, you have to be extremely careful in choosing what place you go to to have a good time. Any event that gets advertised over the radio, is usually the kind of event that attracts the "wrong element." Nowadays, events have to be "invitation only" and that's still dangerous because those who aren't invited, but feel they deserve to get in, are the ones more likely to want to shoot up the joint if they're not let in. "

I am a photographer at many clubs and parties in the city. I do this every week and I have not seen any of the "wrong element" just because it was advertised on the radio etc.. I shoot mainly downtown, Pontiac and Ann Arbor and your statement does not hold water at all....

It boils down to who is throwing the event, what their crowd is, and where the event is to be held. Don't generalize everything like that.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shooting outside Plan B was the result of a man pulling a gun and firing at off duty cops.
The man did not make it far, he was shot by the cops, then run over by his girlfriend, who was trying to escape.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit, the "wrong element" is more likely to hear about the party if it's advertised on the radio than by invitation. Just from personal experience I stay away from parties promoted on the radio. I went to a New Year's Eve party held by a Detroit radio station over a decade ago and made a point to remind myself never to go to another one. The horror stories I could tell.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 933
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Out. of. control. Ridiculous. How many murders is that downtown this year? Touted as one of the "safer" neighborhoods? At least FIVE or SIX in one tiny square mile?

Out of control? So far, by my count, there have 4 murders downtown reported in the media this year.Did you think crime was out of control downtown in 2004 when 9 killing and 8 in 2003? Downtown is just as safe if not safer than it always been.

Monahan568
Username: Monahan568

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^And everything is reported in the media...

(Message edited by monahan568 on September 26, 2007)

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 or 9 people a year in a WHOLE city, not just downtown, is out of control by my book.
What a crappy society we live in these days.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 330
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a sad state of affairs, bar crowds are becoming extremely violent. Windsor also has a severe problem with incidents in their bars. The Windsor hospitals emergency departments are full of kids from the U.S. who skip on the bills after being treated for injuries sustained in fighting, knifing and yes, guns being pulled....Whats happening downtown is inexcusable, however this is not just a Detroit thing. Shootings in Chicago three weeks ago in a downtown Rush St. bar.. and if you read papers from other large cities this is happening in far too many places. We need to seriously address and clamp down on the behavior.

(Message edited by Detroitbill on September 26, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10396
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More evidences of the herd stress I talked about a year or so ago...I think it stems from the increase in frequency of the Schumann Resonance...the heartbeat of the planet.

We're all on edge, and don't know why.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1617
Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we're all on edge because of the pressures society puts on us. for the gals it is popular to be a complete bitch these days and some folks find that sexy, for the dudes the majority who are unsure of their masculinity feel it necessary to put on a macho front, combine that with the pressure to make as much money as possible so you can go into debt by buying a bunch of useless shit. They then go into debt and don't understand because they spent 6 years in college which they are also in debt for. They work hard with barely any time off for a company who is finding a way to cut their pay

Graceful
Username: Graceful

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just felt like I had to let everyone know that this was not a random killing or an attempted robbery or anything. James was killed by a jealous ex-boyfriend of a girl he was dating. This could have happened anywhere.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5145
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did you get that info Grace?

Graceful

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James is an old friend of mine. I haven't spoke to him in over 5 years but I did talk to a family member of his after I heard about the killing.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5147
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I appreciate the fact that you came forth with this information on the real, and hoping that those that were spreading misinformed bullshit about his character are eating crow right now for real. Especially when they didn't know the man.

I thank you for that...

Also, my condolences for the lost of an old friend...

Graceful

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Detroit_stylin. And thanks for the condolences.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5151
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NP at all...

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10706
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Graceful.

A tender welcome to the board.

May everyone involved with this find the peace and comfort they need...and may we ALL learn how to help keep this from happening again.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never understood the "you are with my old girlfriend/boyfriend so I'm going to kill you" mentality.

9x out of 10... the person you USED to date does not want you back after that. What's the point?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5152
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simple VD....its called "If I cant have her, you can either...

Its been going on for millenia...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you love something, set it free.
If it doesn't return, hunt it down and kill it!"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.