Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Eastown Theatre « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

J__rod
Username: J__rod

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember going to concerts at the Eastown Theatre? I went to many Rave Partys there. Every time I was there, I could not get over how awsome the building was. What a awsome place to have a party! I could imagine that going to a concert in the 70s would be pretty awsome as well!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4191
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.detroityes.com/webisode s/2000/20ravisode/index.html

J__rod
Username: J__rod

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell - that is how I remembered it!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad to see that place is being used for something. i,m a westsider, too old to rave yet its good to see not everything in detroit goes to waste. what goes on at the grande?

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 106
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did an interview with Alice Cooper backstage for the Ann Arbor Argus at the Eastown after a set that somehow involved live chickens.

Looneyl
Username: Looneyl

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Derek & the Dominoes at the Eastown in '70. Saw Alice Cooper on Mother's Day in '71(?).
Looneyl

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks take Lowell's link

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw some great shows at the Eastown. Pink Floyd, Johnny Winter, Jethro Tull, Albert King, Humble Pie, Oregon, John Abercrombie, BB King, Savoy Brown, Traffic, Vinegar Joe. I liked the set-up at the Grande better tho', more intimate.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5445
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, the 2,500 seat Eastown is the last of Detroit's 4 outlying giant movie palaces that were almost as opulent as the downtown palaces. The other 3 theatres (Hollywood, Riviera and Uptown) are long gone.

Swimmaven
Username: Swimmaven

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to drive from Kalamazoo to go to the Eastown. I think we saw Savoy Brown, Iggy?, Pink Floyd?

I was entranced with all the kids - it was like watching Fellini's Satiricon. What a fantastic memory that time was!

Then we would go to the coney island restaurant and it was Fellini all over again! The waiter would come out and both arms would be covered with plates of hot dogs. Amazing.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, with its proximity to the freeway, a restored Eastown would still make a great live music venue -- IF security and gated parking could be provided to patrons.

That is one rough area over there.

Detroit_area_dork
Username: Detroit_area_dork

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building is currently for sale.

http://listing.loopnet.com/140 66934

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it is currently being renovated - I shot a picture of it a month ago. It has wire around the windows- not sure if this was a brace of some sort or scaffolding to help fix it up.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com /1433/1225014501_a9559733e3_o. jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com /1176/1225871190_17bfbf0bd6_o. jpg

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day - Alice Cooper, Earth Wind and Fire, Joe Cocker and many more lost in the mists of time (and pot smoke)...

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 390
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats not scaffolding it's the old frame for the awning.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13 - why do you say that's a rough area? Are you referring to how it looks, or do you know something about the crime stats?

Gistok

Post Number: 5465
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried... by your question I take it that you probably have not driven thru that area. The central east side is not exactly a "thriving" area of Detroit. It's the middle of the 'hood.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2670
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two point five ......................are they fucking serious?

A beautiful theater that would easily be worth that almost anywhere else. But at that locale no way........they probably won't be able to give it away. Sad.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2545
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried, by "rough," I mean high in crime and dangerous. I don't have to quote any stats; anyone who knows the eastside knows what I'm talking about.

Safety at Harper and Van Dyke is probably on a par with 6 and Gratiot.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Safety at Harper and Van Dyke is probably on a par with 6 and Gratiot"

Sad in both instances. Harper-Van Dyke is one of those areas that became dangerous in a matter of 3-4 years. In 1967 at night it was still okay for the most part. By 1971 it was rough around the Eastown neighborhood concerning crime. That was one of the neighborhoods the fallout from the riots impacted immediately.

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannyv, I saw the Traffic concert too. That was the Reebop Kwaaku-Ba tour. Pretty wacky departure from their usual configuration.

I thought Fairport Convention (2nd bill) blew them away, but I remain a Traffic fan forever.

My only Eastown visit, IIRC. I was in high school and perpetually broke...

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That loopnet listing must be old, as the local attorney who owned the property sold it to a large church out of FL....

quote:

they probably won't be able to give it away. Sad.

Believe it or not, it sold for $1.9M, just under the appraised value. Amazing building, but YES, that area is uberghetto.
Hopefully the church will restore and maintain the building so that maybe it will still be standing for the 30+ years that it could take for that neighborhood to turn around....

Jokerman
Username: Jokerman

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw many concerts at the Eastown during the late sixties (or was it the early seventies?) Those awesome concerts, along with those at the Grande, are some of the best memories of my youth.

One of the most memorable Eastown concerts was the opening night of Joe Cocker's and Leon Russel's Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour. They later made a live album of this tour.

I also shared some herb with members of Canned Heat at the Eastown (or was that the Grande?)

I agree that this area was rather "rough", but I always felt confident, even when we had to park several blocks away, because I would go with my good friend Big Winnie.

I too was as that Traffic concert. I also remember seeing Rod Stewart at the Eastown.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Ditto Jokerman^^^
on Mad Dogs & Rod Stewart & more (circa 69-70)

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to many shows at the Eastown Theater..Some of my favorites were
1. Savoy Brown, Black Sabath great night
2. Cactus,The Frost,The Up
3.Jethro Tull, Mott The Hoople
4. Derrick & The Dominoes,Too Fat
5. Cactus, J Giles Band
6. Humble Pie, Johnny Winter
There were many more what a venue every weekend a couple of Great Acts

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler, I was at theat Humble Pie/Johnny Winter show. You had two lead guitarists in each band. Steve Marriott/Peter Frampton in the Pie and Johnny Winter/Rick Derringer in the other. The other shows sound great too. How about the guy who would light magnesium strips for a flash?

Daf, I think you saw a later version of Traffic. They were a trio doing the John Barleycorn album when I saw them. I've no doubt you saw a great show, Rebop's percussion was the missing link.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1850
Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last I heard the church that currently owns the building is the temple of David folks, the guys who stand at traffic lights in their strawberry red and safety blue suits with buckets collecting money. Their whole deal is a little hinkey in the eyes of many, the IRS included. I don't know if this has changed recently, if another church has the building now. Terrific building in a hard part of town to sell.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whaler; How about the time we went to see 38 special? At Harpos? That was you that went with me and Crabby, wasnt it?

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You Bet..Patrick

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many moons ago I saw Country Joe & the Fish with special guest Cheech & Chong at the Michigan Theater downtown Detroit. Didn't like Country Joe but C & C was fun to see.

Gistok

Post Number: 5593
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_ed, that was probably during the 1974-76 Michigan Palace era... lots of stars such as ZZ Top, Bob Seger, Sly & The Family Stone, Aerosmith, Cheech & Chong, George Carlin, etc. performed there during those 2 years when Steve Glantz was the show producer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.