Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » United Artists goings on? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chutes and dumpsters set up, looks like some site/interior demolition, trucks with company names taped over, no permits have been pulled (from what I've been told)

anyone know anything?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2908
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this a joke Rb?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 2909
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/105585.html?1189806869

Rb336

Post Number: 2690
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks. I know it's beal, you know it's beal, beal vehemently denies it. it's the masked off company logos that get me.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2300
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there less than 24 hours ago and didn't see any of this stuff Rb336 mentions...

Rb336

Post Number: 2691
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was tipped off by someone I know who works at the michigan bldg

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was by there last week and saw lights on in the lobby area through gaps in the plywood...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 956
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any activity today?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5466
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I've heard, the part of the United Artists Theatre that has suffered the worst weather related damage is the rotunda lobby that connects the office block (outer lobby) to the auditorium. Although many theatres have rotundas, none are anywhere near the intricate filigree work (ornate plaster) that this space has (or had).

Because the streets of The Woodward Plan are not perpendicular, the Bagley entrance lobby is angled 50 degrees out of plomb with the theatre. So C. Howard Crane came up with a rotunda design to overcome this odd difference in angles.

Fortunately the ornate plaster in this space is repeated throughout the rotunda, so any future possible restoration would only require fragments of the plasterwork (for making molds).

Copy of Copy of Copy of UnitedArtists2.jpg

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 299
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my visit in there (December 2006 seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/sets/72157594448748685/ ) the rotunda lobby was probably the worst area to traverse through. There was plaster and debris everywhere and much of the ornamentation was completely gone. You could tell that it was a great space at one time, but it was a complete mess.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

walked by the UA on Friday and there are folks working inside.

(Message edited by gnome on October 15, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 5524
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maryland has historic restoration firms as well as demolition firms (adding a positive spin!). :-)

Maybe it's someone like this:

http://www.irvineconstruction. com/?gclid=CICzpcnKkY8CFQ5lQQo diEAwGQ

Why would Ilitch put a new roof on his building, only to tear it down? That doesn't make sense.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 801
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while that is quite a jump to make to come to that conclusion, it's certainly possible. i doubt it though. there's plenty of other demo companies, and it seems unlikely they'd bring in CDI for something like this. the only real obstacle they have is the Michigan building across the street, and that seems a (relatively) simple enough one to avoid. (however, i admit my expertise is entirely the result of the discovery channel)

Hudson's was more difficult, because of the sheer size of the building, the number of additions, the lack of blueprints, and the people mover track beside it (which was still damaged). There's nothing particularly special about the UA that would make me think someone else couldn't do it, someone more local.

The Hudson's contract was actually awarded to a joint venture of Homrich (a Detroit company) and another company, they chose to retain CDI.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should not have floated an unproven rumor.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why tear down the UA when he's still pitching "great development opportunities" on the outside of it? If anything goes, it's going to be the theater, sadly. But I think those of us who have been inside the theater all know that, like Tiger Stadium, the theater's demolition is inevitable.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can they get away with doing work in the UA building without any permits or public notice or any official acknowledgment of what they have in store for the place?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 958
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, cuz he's Mike Ilitch.

Gistok

Post Number: 5526
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk.... I thought the same thing about the condition of the Capitol Theatre back in 1990 when I visited it. I thought it was beyond repair. But with the replacement of 90% of the plasterwork... we now have the Detroit Opera House!

It would take someone with deep pockets to restore the UA Theatre. Now that both theatre and office building roof have been repaired, anything is possible. I don't know how likely it is, but as long as the structural frame of the theatre portion is sound, then replacing the plaster "envelope" of the theatre is doable. And with the acoustic marvel that the UA is (or was), it would be a pity to lose one of C. Howard Cranes best theatre designs (one of his 3 Spanish Gothic/Art Deco UA theatres). After his twin Fox masterpieces (Detroit & St. Louis) theatre buffs consider his 3 UA Theatres his best theatre designs (Detroit, LA-now a Church, Chicago-razed in 1990).

With old movie palaces, the poor condition of the plasterwork often makes them look more ruinous than they really are.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 964
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Capitol Theatre couldn't possibly have been in the same disrepair as the UA Theatre, could it? I mean, the UA is in tear-inducingly bad shape.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2431
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of the Opera House, what is up with the retail space attached to the garage? It there any possibility that any tenant might be moving in there at any point in the foreseeable future?

I thought it was bit strange when I saw that space being built, but I figured someone knew what they were doing...that a market study was conducted or that some tenants were lined up...but it still sits vacant...

what gives?

(Message edited by thejesus on October 17, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 5527
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymes... oh yeah, the Capitol was in bad bad shape. There was a piano "swimming" in the pool that used to be the orchestra pit... huge chunks of plasterwork lying over all the auditorium seats. When I saw this sorry sight back in 1990, one could not tell what the interior colors of the theatre were... it was so bad.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yes, the capitol was in that bad a shape. complete with holes in the roof that you could see sky thru and a piano floating in the flooded orchestra pit. the capitol/opera house is the best example of a complete gut and rehab around (the book cadillac may take this title when it's completed).

in the past few years a requirement was written into the zoning for the CBD that if you build a parking structure it must include a retail component to it. this is why the commercial building was built along side the opera house parking garage. also because the opera house people wanted to improve the streetscape and pedestrian condition along broadway for the future, even if the market didn't dictate it when it was constructed.

Gistok

Post Number: 5528
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one major difference between the Capitol and UA is that the Capitols fixtures (chandeliers, sconces, etc.) were still in place, while those in the UA were sold off circa 1972/73.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--hate to disagree with you, but I was in the capitol as part of a group that was interested in restoring the theatre (the best possible group ended up getting and restoring the theatre in the end) and although the chandleries in the grand lobby were there, the
chandeliers that hung in front of each organ grille flanking the proscenium were (and are) gone, the balcony soffit glass panels were gone and on sale at various antique shops in the area and the outer lobby stained glass ceiling was completely stolen.

BTW--the UA auction (thank you AAA) was in January of 1975--I was there.

Gistok

Post Number: 5531
Posted on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman, I know that the original stained glass was gone from the Ford Lobby ceiling. Someone estimated that it would cost $2 million to restore the glass, but as it turned out, that was an exaggerated claim. The replacement stained glass only cost about $50,000.

I was mainly referring to the original 4 tall candleabra's in front of the organ grilles. All 4 of them were still there for the restoration (they were there since the theatre opened back in 1922).

I don't know about other smaller specific lighting fixtures around the building.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a demo fence that has been erected around the UA? Looks like the same fencing as around the Ilitch-owned Chin Tiki and Moose Lodge. If he razes it, I will start doing the same to Little Caesars Pizza stores.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demo Days!!

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wouldn't make much sense to put a new roof on a building only to demo it a few months later. But then again, who needs logic?

Gistok

Post Number: 5714
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't speak for Chin-Tiki, but the fence around the U/A and Moose Lodge has been there for quite some time... In fact the Moose Lodge fence has been there even when Blair McGowan still owned it before selling it to Mike Ilitch.

Also, the basement of the Moose Lodge extends underneath the sidewalk.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 418
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever figure out what hes doing here? Any NEW news?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Probably just regular maintenance to prevent water damage and such...the kind of stuff people always complain that he never does...

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful Building!.but...Does it have any chance of surviving the wrecking ball??

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 377
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Chin Tiki definitely did not have a fence around it as of August 12, 2006, when I was last there. Does anyone know when the fence was erected?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6789
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now official construction yet at the United Artists building. Mike Illitch will let the city know that a "PREMIER DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY" comes.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus wrote, "Probably just regular maintenance to prevent water damage and such...the kind of stuff people always complain that he never does"

Um, he hasn't done ANY maintenance--let alone regular maintenance-- until now on that building, if that's indeed what he's doing. Preventing water damage? More like a last-minute attempt to stop water from wrecking the building completely, since it has a TON of water damage already.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think Illich knows were all getting an ulcer over this? LOL

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A crew has been working inside the UA since this spring. As for the Moose & Chin Tiki, earlier this summer they put up a new fence that goes out to the street because the basement goes out to the street.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and work is progressing on the CC Bar.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3144
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you really think Ilitch is aware of this forum? Come on.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure his people are.

Gistok

Post Number: 5732
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly... I went to lunch a few weeks ago with someone on this forum. They work for Oakland County government. They often check this forum for their superiors since some information often gets here before it hits elsewhere.

So while the powers that be may not be on this forum, you can bet that the folks who work for them will check it out periodically for a heads up!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey did we ever figure out whats up with this work going on at the theater? Gistok? I check this website every day and pray for its restoration! What a great motown theater it would be. Put some motown sound in there and give people another reason to come downtown.

Gistok

Post Number: 5778
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I can figure out Exmotowner is that the roof to the theatre and office block have been repaired to prevent further deterioration. So the building appears to be basically mothballed awaiting an announcement by Dan Gilbert.

Unless there are other construction type goings on in the building at the moment....

Exmotowner

Post Number: 422
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok, I guess we'll just continue to hold our breath and hope!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilitch owns it. Why would he allow a theater in the same part of town compete with his Fox? He's too selfish to ever allow that to happen.

Gistok

Post Number: 5789
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... not if he controls the bookings... The Fox has 5,174 seats, while the United Artists had 2,070 when first opened, but later scaled back to 1,688 seats. So they are 2 different sized venues. A venue for smaller acts wouldn't hurt the Fox.

And since Dan Gilbert is great friends with the Ilitch's, having a Quicken Center for the Performing Arts center owned & restored by Gilbert, and booked by Ilitch, that would be a win-win for both.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.