Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old HS on Canfield « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 484
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know anything at all about the status of the old Performing Arts HS at Canfield and Rosa Parks? I know it was purchased with the intent of turning it into lofts and retail space, but is this realistically going to happen? Ever?

Cris

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Anybody? Bueller?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a mighty gamble in that area for retail. What's the density over there? When I drive by there it looks pretty sparse and blighted.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5131
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At that particular point it seems that way, especially when you get on the west side of Grand River. However, east of that going towards Wayne State its pretty densely populated with all the homes along Commonwealth and the other streets that run along that corridor, the development in Woodbridge etc and so on...

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah going towards Wayne State it picks up... but the immediate area is a major project.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5133
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah no doubt...

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its Detroit, the fortress/shady landscape/loft appeal will apply

Cris

Post Number: 489
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought I remembered something about plans for a coffee house in a renovated building. If it did happen, I'm sure it would get some business from Woodbridge residents. Right now it seems doubtful though.

I also believe a group of Woodbridge residents fought against the demolition of the building.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 603
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

because they want to use it for a parking lot for themselves!

A resident of Woodbridge wanted to build a bar in my neighborhood, Merrick and Commonwealth, and a neighbor of mine wanted to complain at a community meeting that her parking spots would be severely limited!

As it isnt bad enough with the throngs of homeless wandering around she had to complain on the lack of parking that would arise!

Hence why I pity Detroit now.

Cris

Post Number: 490
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, you wouldn't believe what an issue parking seems to be among some of the older residents on Avery. Some get really offended if you take "their" parking spots in front of their houses!

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very true cris. A friend had a neighbor come knocking on the door at 2am because someone was in his spot. I wonder if this is the same neighbor on Avery. Ha

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like that all over.. old people think they own the street in front of their houses. They will even call and try to have you towed lol

Cris

Post Number: 492
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha-- It might be, Mdoyle! But there are several, men and women, who are like that. If you talk to them out on the sidewalk, parking is one of the first subjects they will bring up. I always make sure I don't park in their spots... but if anyone ever does, they will tell you all about it!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosa Parks or 12th Street and Canfield was where Wilbur Wright Cooperative High School used to be. When they closed WWHS and opened Murray-Wright did the old school get turned into the Performing Arts HS?

Anyway, if that is so, that might be why the neighbors are territorial about their parking spots. I remember we used to park all over the neighborhood when I went to the school in 1962-1965. Having a school in the neighborhood would explain why they are so testy over the parking issue.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.