Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Three Reasons people are moving out. » Why people are moving out of Detroit! » Archive through October 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Detroit_superfly, I was talking to Detroit stylin

Michigan

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I wasn't trying to be tough. I asked a question.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds almost like Night of the Living Dead.

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan- Sorry for the misunderstanding. I apologize back at you.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, your girlfriend has decided to move out of downtown because of something that happened 10 miles away? That makes no sense. Where is she going to move? Grosse Pointe? which is a lot closer in proximity to this alleged incident. I hear they are selling old missile silos on ebay, maybe she could move there and be safe.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Titan-Miss ile-Base-Central-Washington_W0 QQitemZ190132455924QQcmdZViewI tem

Michigan

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superfly, no problem, how is the miniapple treating you?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 818
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt,

So did they get arrested or not?

This stuff happens everywhere, maybe more here, but the tenacity it takes to live here is what makes it special. if you need to go to happyland go. But rising above this stuff is what life is, it makes you fear less and be willing to take more challenges. Now just try convincing your gf that!

Funny thing is the Detroit haters surely rep Detroit everwhere they go in Minneapolis, Chicago, Phoenix of NYC. "Yeah I'm from DETROIT. yep, DETROIT." (secret is: I can't live there because it sucks. That I'm really a New Yorker but think Detroit sounds cool from this distance)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5474
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze, lived near I-94 and Moross for 30 years... and still go there daily to check up on my mother... and nothing in the last 47 years ever happened that I've ever witnessed in that time... no I take that back I did see a crazy guy go for the nitrous oxide in a can of whipped cream at 7-Eleven.

But nothing like what Bratt mentioned. Bratt, you just had the misfortune of "mistaken identity"... which can get people into trouble.

But that neighborhood is one of the safest in Detroit.

And that map is a little bit misleading about crime statistics. Many areas on that map are either industrial areas (lower crime) or areas depopulated of houses.

But the far east side is high density housing (few empty lots). So there's more people per square mile than many areas of Detroit. That's a factor not calculated into that WSU map.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 193
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The negative threads always get more comments than the positive. Thanks "Bratt". And whoever this Detroitsuperfly (aren't flies attracted to shit?)IT is annoying.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 98
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minneapolis is OK. Its not home. Detroit is home. Detroit is a toilet, but its my toilet.

VAS-Actually, nobody thinks Detroit is cool from a distance. The first thing people ask me is: is it as bad as everyone says it is? I say: worse. Then I describe the neighborhoods by the state fair, Boston Edison, where you can buy a mansion that would cost you 5 million anywhere else for 200k cause its in an unlivable area, Grand River by the Grande, the abandoned skyscrapers, the abandoned stadium, etc... Being from Detroit gets me no additional cred anywhere.

Granmontrules- Ad hominem attacks, eh? That says more about you than me. Have a nice night.

Pmatylonek
Username: Pmatylonek

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why people are moving out of Detroit? I'm interested in addressing this because I am back (not wholly, mind you), but I am a reluctant owner of a house in Hamtramck. My primary residence is in downtown Chicago. However, since I own this Hamtramck home, I'm interested in seeing property values go up in the Detroit area, but there are three primary reasons why Detroit is shrinking:

1) Racism: This is a huge problem in Detroit. As long as wealthier white folk continue to diss and FEAR downtown Detroit in favor of vanilla bland strip malls and continue to buy their homes in a gluttonous land sprawl, then Detroit and its beautiful basic infrastructure will never revitalize.

2) Public Transportation: Detroit's single minded investment in the automobile created urban deserts and huge ugly pavements that is a cause of a deteriorated sense of community. Detroit needs to invest in a public transportation that is "cool" for anybody to use--not just the down trodden.

3) The Industrial economy is so passe. Did Detroit ever try...really try...to diversify the economy in this region instead of depending wholly on the likes of GM, Ford and Chrysler?

I was surprised on my last visit to downtown Detroit. There HAS BEEN PROGRESS! It was exciting for me. I grew up in Hamtramck.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol funny you blame whites and other non blacks for racism.

Why on earth should whites or any non blacks for that matter patronize Detroit when its clear that the black racists target anyone non black for crime.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 819
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was saying you're the one that thinks its cool from a distance. Thats why you said how much of shithole it is and you can't live here, but the you say its your home. I've heard a lot of people take this stance, "oh I could never live there, but its my home." No its your ex-home. You don't live there and won't go back.

If you can't live here because its so terrible, then its not your home. Its only your home from a distance. I

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Boston Edison, where you can buy a mansion that would cost you 5 million anywhere else for 200k cause its in an unlivable area,

The hundreds of people living there would disagree with you.

Michigan

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmat, are you saying blacks can not make it on their own? Blacks need papa whitey to support them? Why can't Detroit just be a nice place with blacks running it and living here?

Pmatylonek

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan!

That's a bait and an unrealistic response to a real problem in the Detroit that covers all demographic groups.

All peoples--no matter their race, color, and beliefs--should be able to live together in harmony. This does not happen in Detroit.

Pmatylonek

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iaintgotnostyle!

LOL. Funny, that instead of addressing a real problem in Detroit, you go externally on the defensive instead looking from within, at yourself.

Michigan

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As long as wealthier white folk continue to diss and FEAR downtown Detroit in favor of vanilla bland strip malls and continue to buy their homes in a gluttonous land sprawl, then Detroit and its beautiful basic infrastructure will never revitalize."

again Pmat, why are white people to blame for crime and decay in Detroit? Why are they the only ones who can turn it around?

Funny, Pmat, "that instead of addressing a real problem in Detroit, you go externally on the defensive instead looking from within". Heed your own advice.

Pmatylonek

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said white people are to blame for crime and decay in Detroit. BUT it appears that YOU are saying that this is the case. I never said anything like it. I am sorry that you feel this way. It is non-constructive.

Michigan

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read you quotes.

Michigan

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your ideas about neighborhood flight are outdated and wrong. Please research the many studies that have shown flight has less to do with racism than fear of falling property values. Read up on how Oak Park Illinois addressed this issue. Then read up about how the tradition of renting rather than owning in certain Chicago and New York areas kept residents from fleeing. But the areas with single family homes were devastated. Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Baltimore, were cities of homeowners, so when the specter of property decline reared its head people ran from those places.

Docmo, who says he is white, is quite clear on why he will leave Detroit, to save money, not to get away from black or brown people.

You said, and I quote, "as long as ...white folk continue to diss and FEAR downtown Detroit" there is no hope for Detroit. Until someone called you on your overt racism you felt completely comfortable and justified in blaming white people for Detroit's problems, instead of looking at who lives in Detroit and what they need to do to improve their lives and their city. Cities and suburbs all over the country dislike each other, Detroit is no different. But its citizens feel that the suburbs owe it something, interesting dynamic.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6641
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What people moving out of Detroit? Because of several reasons:

1. SEGREGATION

2. XENOPHOBIA

3. SUBURBAN SPRAWL OF COOKIE CUTTER HOMES

4. URBAN FREEWAYS

5. WHITE FLIGHT

6. THE 1967 RIOT

7. THE ELECTION OF COLEMAN A. YOUNG

8. BLACK CONTROL OF ALL CITY SERVICES

9. GROWING BLACK COMMUNITIES MOVING INTO ONCE MOSTLY WHITE DETROIT NEIGHBORHOODS.

10. BLACK DOMINANCE OF DETROIT AFTER 1975

11. ECONOMIC FLIGHT

12. HIGH VIOLENT CRIME RATE

13. POOR DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT

14. POOR DETROIT POLICE DEPT.

15. CORRUPTION OF CITY LEADERS

16. BLACK FLIGHT TO THE SUBURBS OT ANY OTHER CITIES.

All of these things have stabbed Detroit in the back. All of us red and yellow black and white are to be ashamed of ourselves for what we did to our beloved city of Detroit. Most white suburbanites see Detroit as a feared place filled with black folks, crime and drugs all over. Most black Detroiters see the suburbs a white and pretty in a pleasantville setting and they want to live there and be with the white folks. Both of them can move anywhere they want for this is America and we don't need to play race cards to see who would be " King of the Mountain" between Detroit and the suburbs.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmat,

Im not being defensive. I am only pointing out the obvious.

I wouls rather live in Rochester Hills than downtown Detroit because I can live without having to look over my shoulder.
I can walk down the street.
I don't have to worry aboutmy shit being stolen and last but not least, I can be myself without anyone trying to rob me or kill me simply because I am white.

You have a lot of damn nerve blaming Detroit's downfall on white people.
Those that fled that damn city did so so that they could live in peace with their neighbors not have to worry every waking moment of their lives if they or their children would fall victim.
Screw that, that's no kind of life for anyone and why the hell dont you move back and live in Detroit?
Instead you ran off to chi-town.
Yea, right, I guess your job is keeping you there. Well come back to the "D",Im sure you can figure out what to do to make money . After all, you'll be awake 24/7 keeping an ye on all your shit so it does'nt get destroyed. That'll give you more than enough time to come up with a money making brainstorm.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam-Yes, they are living there, but at this point homes there aren't selling. People are also moving out because of the hostility of the area.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4213
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The age 18-24 demographic group is still too young to have children in school. But a decade down the road, they won't. Noting that it takes 1 1/3 decades for a kid to progress through the school systems, the effects due to decreases in numbers in this group will clearly eventually be felt in any industry that caters to children, especially anything related to K-12.

Two forces, a decade or so down the road, will most certainly be working against the other: (a) the school districts closing schools and (b) the teachers' unions pushing for smaller class sizes and increased state spending per child. Ever wonder why those unions contributed to Granholm the Spendthrift for her two campaigns for governor?

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 07, 2007)

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the teachers' unions pushing for smaller class sizes and increased state spending per child"

What is wrong with that? Care to explain your "logic"?

None
Username: None

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know nothing about no God Damned Krugerrands,"

"I issue a warning to all those pushers, to all rip-off artists, to all muggers: It’s time to leave Detroit; hit Eight Mile Road! And I don’t give a damn if they are black or white, or if they wear Superfly suits or blue uniforms with silver badges. Hit the road."

And the rest is history

Pmatylonek

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE Danny's list. All these things are exactly right. And I'm sorry to all those of you who moved out to Stony Creek and places like it and feel you have nothing to do with Detroit. In fact, suburbanites and Detroiters alike OWN DETROIT. I don't get this attitude that people are not inter-connected.

Honestly, this attitude is SO less severe in other metropolitan areas. I lived in California for many years before Chicago. Chicago and its suburbs have their culture clashes, but still despite it all, the suburbanites LOVE their downtown Chicago.

I would love to see Hamtramck become what it truly is at heart--a wonderful cultural Detroit jewel that truly celebrates internationalism. But it needs investment. Instead, metropolitan Detroit pushes for expanding strip malls.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3430
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All of us red and yellow black and white are to be ashamed of ourselves for what we did to our beloved city of Detroit.

I have done nothing to the city of Detroit so you can count me out of your guilt trip.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pmat
Blanket statements and half truths ... what kind of troll are you? I don't mean to be harsh, but the lecturing tone is a real turn-off.

I'm glad you've having a great time in Chicago, it is a lovely town, and I'm proud that you once played on land that was owned by my gggrandfather, but you're tone is tiresome and harpish.

Preachy, inflammatory, didactic and ideologically immature.

Being open-minded doesn't mean planting emotional pungi sticks then camouflaging them with blanket statements of half-truths and partial facttiods.

Grow up or go away.