Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Three Reasons people are moving out. » Archive through October 08, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitsuperfly
Username: Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit_stylin- What PG is too ignorant to understand is that his beloved republicans increase entitlement spending more than democrats.

But please don't confuse him with facts. They make him angry.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4227
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott: What times do you ride? I know that most college classes tend to be clustered in the early (business) hours and relatively none (outside of labs, almost always run by TAs--not profs) ending after 2PM. So, you would be caught up in the AM rush.

Many school kids in Detroit are already riding buses somewhat earlier than when my high schools got out (3 PM then). Knowing the college classes are few in number in middle to late PM, save for lab courses, you would probably experience DPS kids earlier in the PM and real workers later in the day.

I'm sure that you know how infrequently many N-S SMART buses run from 10AM to some time around 2PM, obviously to keep costs down when there are fewer passengers. Instead of 20/25 minute intervals, the intervals then might be 45 minutes to an hour--more like the E-W routes, which normally have longer time intervals between buses.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on October 08, 2007)

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3470
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I monitor what the boys on the ground are saying, not left-wing blogs Detroitsuperfly. Everyone that joins the military knows they may have to serve in combat.

They really don't want to be seen as victims, but they would appreciate our respect and support which is what I give them morally and financially. Get a clue or move on.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5121
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PG supports the volunteer army and the war...

....as long as HE doesn't have to volunteer, and serve himself...

If the generation of WWII was referred to as the greatest generation becuase of almost universal sacrifice becuase they so desperately beleived in the war effort, then this generation should be known as the "At Least It Ain't Me", generation since they'd rather let someone else fight and die for something that they believe in but just are not willing to die for...

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Racism: This is a huge problem in Detroit. As long as wealthier white folk continue to diss and FEAR downtown Detroit in favor of vanilla bland strip malls and continue to buy their homes in a gluttonous land sprawl, then Detroit and its beautiful basic infrastructure will never revitalize"

Here we go again. Its them damn rich white folks. We were run out of Detroit. The black population i.e. Coleman Young wanted us out and he made no bones about it. Now your bitching because were gone. Make up your minds. You want us gone, but please leave your money and your beautiful homes so we can strip them and turn them into crack houses. There are VERY few whites left. Blacks have controled the city since the riots. Quit fucking bitching about us leaving. You asked for it you got it!
Man I get sick of this racist shit coming out of detroit. Just start a fuckin race war up there and get it overwith.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "As it is, that is not what they are saying, in fact progress is being made"

(Oh not me again)

Yes as building a bulwark against Iran and the rest of the "Middle east". The fact is the Iraq debacle as a liberation has been a disaster.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Extown, whats up babe? LOL, love your reply. Wonder if they'll start blaming the gays too..
I did post a reply but it was censored, or at least I think it was. Its not there anymore :-(

Truly, the name needs to change on this format to " Everyday racism rants and insults" Jane

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3471
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

as long as HE doesn't have to volunteer, and serve himself

You are assuming I wouldn't serve if I was eligible which is not true. It wasn't up to me to send troops to Iraq or not but I do support their mission. If you think supporting them means hoping for their defeat you are foolish.

Exmotowner -

I understand your frustration. I sure as hell never got the impression growing up that I was welcome in Detroit, but somehow it is my fault it is a hellhole?

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you support the troops by keeping them in someone else's unwinnable civil war? Between factions of Islam that have hated each other for 1400 years?

With people like YOU supporting them, the troops don't need Al Qaeda.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jane. Doing great here. Homesick but guess I will stay that way forever. I talked to my partner about moving from nashville to a better city and we both decided New Orleans and Detroit are both out of the question. Hope TX is treating you ok!.

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner- just curious, why don't you like Nashville? Its number one on my move-to list.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3473
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsuperfly -

This thread is not about the Iraq war, there are numerous threads on the non-Detroit side where the war has been debated ad infinitum. I suggest you go there and I will be glad to debunk your claims.

Are you upset that you have been pwn3d on this issue so you are trying to distract people from the subject at hand?

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry pinhead, simply saying you pwn3d me, doesnt make it so. BTW- I've debunked all your GOP BS every time you spew your nonsense. You cons are amusing. No wonder you can't win elections. Its cause you're in the wrong side of American values.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 853
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY,

Sadly, many SMART buses do not operate at all outside of peak times. I have lots of things going on all over the place. I ride Vernor at various times of day, and it's usually busiest between Springwells and Grand Boulevard, but I've never had to stand. Dexter, any time between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. it's very busy. The SMART Gratiot buses are often full to bursting as late as 8 or 9 at night.

On the other hand I've been on the SMART 615 (Grosse Pointe) at p.m. rush hour and not seen a big crowd. So it certainly varies by line, but my point is some of the buses are very busy.

I can tell when the school kids are on the bus, and I try to stay off them at those times :-)

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 403
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey motown, I understand about N.O. I was there 2 weeks ago, actually, I stayed in Folsom, across the Lake on the North Shore. We drove in one day, visited the lower 9th, Treme and went into Metaire. The crime element is OUT OF CONTROL...
The racist mayor and his racist city council are destroying what is left of the Big Nasty, as they are now calling it. Detroit is a cake walk as opposed to the crime and racism in N.O. Kinda sad too. What they arent destroying, Katrina has...

I can understand about the safety issue. Its a priority for most families, regardless what some of these "ostriches" who keep their head in the sand think. Take care babe, Jane

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4229
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walk/jog a lot but take the Vernor #49 to downtown if transferring to SMART, although I might even walk those five miles for the exercise. The #49 is rarely full, if ever. [I NEVER had to stand--not even close to being filled...]

It's very rare for me to ever experience any SRO DDOT or SMART bus when I ride. In any event, I cannot remember the last time because it's been years ago.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitsuperfly, My main reaons for not liking Nashville are, 1. Im gay and its just not a "gay" city. It is the buckle of the bible belt. Were tolerated, but thats about it. #2. I miss Detroit. I get very homesick but I know what hell I went through while living there and try to remind myself why I left. Detroit will always be home no matter where you put me. Im just not welcome there either. All the gays there were run out and went to Friggin Ferndale of all places, (which suprises me)! I have seen on gay websites in the past: "Detroit had its gay heyday, and its over. There are no reasons what so ever for a gay person to go to Detroit".

I would love to live in a "gay" city i.e. Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Springs, San Francisco etc, but they are not even affordable to me. Its bad when even gays cant afford to live were most gays live. LOL

Detroitsuperfly

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My main reaons for not liking Nashville are, 1. Im gay and its just not a "gay" city"

Good point.

Have you ever tried Minneapolis? I'm here now. While I'm not gay, it doesn't take much observation to realize this is a VERY gay friendly city. The economy is roaring too.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote-
"Yeah--just like the federal government saved DC from declining through the Sixties, Seventies, Eighties, and Nineties. You're obviously and painfully unaware of how little the federal government cares about the District.

Keep making excuses for Detroit, though. See how much that accomplishes."

Dan you foolish moron, The only reason DC exists is for the Federal Government. I know very well how little the Feds care about DC.
Tha fact is the people who ride the Metro to work in DC work for the government or for a company that supports or needs to have access to the government.

The businesses that have offices in DC aren't there because they are impressed with the Metro or the lovely summer weather. They are there because the Feds are there. To paraphrase Gilbert and Sullivan, It is the very model of a modern major Company town. Take away the Federal Government and there is only swamp land that no one needs to live in.

Excuses? I haven't made an excuse for Detroit, ever, you dolt. Just keep making excuses to your dates for the pee stains on your pants, see what that accomplishes.

You are wrong to say that a city needs mass transit to succeed. LA, Phoenix, Houston, Detroit,
Seattle, and others are examples of this. As usual, when someone proves you wrong, you simply change the subject. Now go climb Mount Washington.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5124
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You are wrong to say that a city needs mass transit to succeed. LA, Phoenix, Houston, Detroit,
Seattle, and others are examples of this. As usual, when someone proves you wrong, you simply change the subject. Now go climb Mount Washington.

Ummmm...I hate to call you out, but the last time I checked LA had rail transit and is expanding on it and Houston I thought I heard was working on a line as well...

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1803
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^So is Seattle. But let him continue...

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5126
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Bad....add Phoenix to that list as well and who do we have left?

Oh yeah Detroit because the backwards politicians in Jokeland and Macomb counties dont want the criminal element to ride the rails out there just to rob them...

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what, Michigan? You're absolutely right. I'm the one who is "a foolish moron".

That Detroit is the largest metropolitan area in the nation without rail transit

That the City of Detroit has a 15% unemployment rate

That 300,000 residents of the City of Detroit do not have access to a private automobile

That Detroit is one of the most sprawling and most socioeconomically segregated regions

That Detroit is perhaps the least economically competitive metropolitan area in the U.S.

--all of this is just stuff that I made up, huh? Well, good sir, what do you propose is the problem? It's just bad PR, isn't it?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5127
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Seattle, and others are examples of this.
As usual, when someone proves you wrong, you simply change the subject. Now go climb Mount Washington.

No that statement that you made seemed to imply that these regions didn't have nor need it.

Dumbass

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on October 08, 2007)

Michigan

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No jagg off. There are myriad problems in Detroit. PR is the least of the issues. However, building your transit system is no panacea. PG is right, who the hell will ride it.

Someday Detroit may need a significant transit system, but right now it does not have the demand for it.

Michigan

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dstylin, they don't have them, that is why they are looking in to building them now. You are unbelievable.

They didn't need them, they are all booming cities. They did that without huge transit systems. Please see above.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LA Mass Transit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L os_Angeles_County_Metro_Rail

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3435
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Someday Detroit may need a significant transit system, but right now it does not have the demand for it.

Maybe you should tell that to people who ride a bus 2+ hours each way to a minimum-wage job, asshole.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan,

I'd ride it. I rode the tube in London. I rode the subway in New York. I rode the L in Chicago. Mass transit does help, but it isn't a panacea. I don't think anyone can logically argue that it is a panacea. It's one step of many Detroit needs. It makes city life easier if it is done right.

Detroitstylin,

As for Jokeland and Macomb counties not wanting it, you're 100% right. They don't want it because it's money out of their counties pockets for things that don't benefit them. The number of people riding a transit system to downtown right now would be negligible. It doesn't justify the expense currently. In a few years, if Detroit is on a trend as the center of regional commerce again, they'll probably sing a different tune. If the divisions between the suburbs and the city subside, maybe it will be different. That's a lot of ifs though.

As for the migration of crime? Yes, it factors in; whether the threat is real or not. Detroit has a bad image problem. It doesn't help that stories from residents tell of 2 hour waits for police responses. That isn't the entire picture though.

Don't forget that Oakland County also has Pontiac and the western corridor of M-59. Both of these areas have high crime and gangs but it isn't solely related to race. It has everything to do with the poverty of the residents.

Granted, I'm not going to excuse Michigan's rants, but he does have some points that you can pay attention to as being the mindset of the suburbanites that Detroit needs to address or concerns that have to be allayed.