Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Three Reasons people are moving out. » Why people are reluctant to move to detroit » Archive through October 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a handful of some pix i took yesterday...

new housing in highland park

(Message edited by thecarl on October 08, 2007)

(Message edited by thecarl on October 08, 2007)

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fix the link

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1392
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, fix the link.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, you guys are quick! i'm trying to fix the darned flickr link...apparently the forum software discombobulates it...

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Carl, it's because there is no transit.....

Thecarl

Post Number: 1064
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, but there is transit! i ride it!

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly, I think the vinyl siding is more horrifying.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please Dan, let's not even go there.I mean, vinyl siding....

Thecarl

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new housing in highland park

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe they trashed them because they didn't want those nasty ass houses in their neighborhood.

Danindc

Post Number: 3442
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, I would have! Those things are gonna lower some property values, man!

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Monday, October 08, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lower them to what? Anything they do is an improvement.

I'd rather have those Lego houses than a vacant lot or burned/boarded house.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gsgeorge, what's so nasty about clean, modern construction? i'm not a big fan of the town homes, but the ranch was pretty nice - nevermind the appearance (and disappearance) of the older homes in the area.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

maybe they trashed them because they didn't want those nasty ass houses in their neighborhood.

As if they can afford to be picky. The people there should be happy anyone is willing to invest good money in that area. This is a disgrace.

Danindc

Post Number: 3443
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As if they can afford to be picky. The people there should be happy anyone is willing to invest good money in that area. This is a disgrace.

Ah, the old Caddyshack Theory of Redevelopment: "You'll get nothing and like it!"

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4236
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After I become emperor, there will be only two simple laws in my realm for my subjects:

quote:

(1) Those who have little will have less.

(2) Those who have nothing will have it taken away from them.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ah, the old Caddyshack Theory of Redevelopment: "You'll get nothing and like it!"

danindc, with results like this, impoverished communities will *truly* get nothing, and deserve it. how many investors are compelled to build cookie-cutter homes, or even unique palatial estates, when they see the reaction that the locals have to new development?

get it?

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like them, they are skinny and boxy and the windows are nice and big, they also are a nice dense development.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question, I don't know if anyone has the questions but... most new housing projects around the city have security on site. Do they not have security on site? Is this an active project or one that has stalled?

That is really sad that people are vandalizing something which brings value to their area.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question, I don't know if anyone has the questions but... most new housing projects around the city have security on site. Do they not have security on site? Is this an active project or one that has stalled?

Like the amber light cops??

What are they gonna do.... call the DPD?

On the upside they can turn those houses into check cashing stores, liquor huts and dollar stores.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes all you need is presence to deter something. From the photos alone, it looks like a stalled project.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The title says "Why people are reluctant to move to detroit", yet you show pictures of a development in Highland Park. Let's see...

SET Detroit = Highland Park

!SYNTAX ERROR!

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1050
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And of course, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

These houses were erected roughly between 2004 and 2005 in Highland Park near Six Mile and Woodward. The homes were constructed by a St. Clair Shores developer who was honestly trying to help the neighborhood and turn a profit.

The problem however, is that the basements were improperly poured and as a result they leak ground and sewerage water. The City of Highland Park would not issue Certificates of Occupancy until the problem was resolved. Well guess what? To resolve the issue, the developer would have had to demolish the houses and start from scratch.

From what I understand, the developer sued the contractor who was hired to pour the basements, but the contractor went BK. The insurance companies wouldn't pay, either, so the developer himself filed BK and the rest is history.

The neighborhood was thrilled to have this development, but unfortunately, only a handful of the houses were ever offered for sale due to the flooding. Scavengers and scrappers are to blame for the present condition of the structures.

Thecarl, Livernoisyard, and Perfectgentleman should be ashamed of themselves for the uninformed comments they've made here. I promise you that "the locals" (Carl) have no interest in seeing their neighborhood deteriorate any further. The neighbors who are left over there are actually doing what they can to maintain civility in an otherwise forgotten corner of Highland Park.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 3499
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thecarl, Livernoisyard, and Perfectgentleman should be ashamed of themselves for the uninformed comments they've made here. I promise you that "the locals" (Carl) have no interest in seeing their neighborhood deteriorate any further. The neighbors who are left over there are actually doing what they can to maintain civility in an otherwise forgotten corner of Highland Park.

I stand by my comments, there is no excuse for mindless vandalism. I was taking issue with someone else who was implying that the houses deserved to be vandalized because they were ugly. Lets not pretend that this crap doesn't go on every day.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1707
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I glanced at the pix even though I vowed to avoid these anti detroit threads, but I just could not turn away. Kinda like looking for decapitated bodies when you roll past a car accident. A few thoughts came to mind, these look like unfinished new homes. I would like to point out there are a lot of homes like this in the metro area. And no it's not just a Michigan phenomena thanks to union wages. How come no one has posted a "why people are not moving to Taylor, or Southfield" threads where these unfinished homes are and kids have gotten inside and wreaked havoc? Need addresses?

Eric_c

Post Number: 1051
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I stand by my comments."

"As if they can afford to be picky. The people there should be happy anyone is willing to invest good money in that area. This is a disgrace."

-Perfectgentleman

You clearly imply that the neighbors themselves are responsible. Perhaps you feel unsupervised teenagers and scrappers are fully representative of the neighborhood population.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somehow, someway, the residents of Troy surely are to blame for this!

Why oh why does Troy force Detroiters to trash their own neighborhoods???

Eric_c

Post Number: 1052
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus

Post Number: 2336
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:44 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Somehow, someway, the residents of Troy surely are to blame for this!

Why oh why does Troy force Detroiters to trash their own neighborhoods???

------------------------------ --------------------

www.rif.com

You simp. We are speaking of Highland Park. Not Troy. Not Detroit.

Smart-assed shit-stirring should not be confused with constructive commentary.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10405
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit is blamed for the bad that takes place in Highland Park and Hamtramck can the city and the residents of the city all take credit for anything good that happens there?

Should Warren be blamed for anything bad that happens in Centerline?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's retarded...Detroit and Highland park are one in the same...same type of people, same thug mentality, same kinds of impoverished neighborhoods...

the fact that they elect separate government is irrelevant as the governments are not responsible for shit like this...the residents are

Same thing w/ Farmington-Farmington Hills...they may elect different governments, but it's all one place...